“Good value”
Review of Budget Inn

Budget Inn
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Merced
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Found a coupon in one of those free Motel discount magazines for this place for $39. The bed was fine, the room was fine, it was clean. The staff was kind and it was a good deal. Get a room away from the freeway side and there is no noise.
I exercise by walking. Main Street was a few blocks away, the heart of downtown about ten blocks down main street with a few satisfactory eateries. A nice walk to find a place to eat and a nice walk back to work some of it off.
Breakfast was about what you would expect for the price. Small packages sweet rolls and coffee.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the freeway, don't get one of those. Most rooms face away, and there is no noise...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank leftiebob
SUNIL R, General Manager at Budget Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank-you so much for reviewing our property!

Pleasing our customers is my #1 priority and I am happy to read that we met your expectations.

We look forward to future visits from you and good luck in your travels.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

This place was on the rough side. In terms of location, it seems to be on a rougher side of town, there were characters out and about all over the place. The hotel is located right off the freeway, so it's convenient for a quick overnight stay on the road. There is a Denny's and a McDonalds nearby so you can get something to eat. The location is rough enough, though, that I did wake up several times to check on our car and make sure it hadn't been broken into. It hadn't!

The price is super low! I think we spent 40 and that's with a dog!! But that's about the motel you get - a $40 motel. We only stayed here because we just needed a clean place to sleep for just 8 hours...

The motel room was very basic. Everything was pretty worn out and the carpets were old. But our room and bedding and towels were surprisingly clean! The wifi worked in the room so we were happy about that. There was coffee in the lobby and a small packaged Danish. It's fine if you only want to part with $40 for a short stay.

Room Tip: No elevator so if you have trouble getting up and down stairs with your luggage, ask for the first f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lara W
SUNIL R, Manager at Budget Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Clean room, affordable, even with a pet, free good-working wifi, and a little something to start your day off in the morning. I am happy to hear you were pleased with that part of your stay, which is what most people are looking for.

Not quite so pleased that we got judged/given a bad review by your perception of the neighborhood surrounding us, which is obviously, out of our control. The motels/hotels in Merced are located along the 99 and 140 so are obviously in older neighborhoods, but we do have a 24-hour desk and surveillance cameras and, I am happy to say, do not have problems with car break ins because of it, as I see you discovered when your own car was safe.

This is an older motel, as you mentioned, but we have made upgrades/done some remodeling with more to come in the future. But we do strive to keep the costs down for our budget-minded guests; we do have many loyal, regular customers who have stayed here for years when they are in town who prefer we keep the rates as low as possible.

Good luck to you and, if you should find yourself back in Merced again, we hope you will consider us again for your accommodations.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

A great experience. We got such a low rate through a 3rd party site and expected the quality to match, but we were pleasantly surprised. There was no riff-raff loitering (this has been a problem at other places we've stayed), it's location is super-close to shopping, gas, and fwy. The rooms are simple w/basic accommodations, but they are clean!! Sheets and towels were clean, scented w/just the right amount of bleach. The bed had good pillows, fluffy, not flat, like other budget hotels. The bathroom was equipped w/a jet-flush toilet. The manager, Sinil, was very helpful and concerned w/our stay,a real, genuine man. We have stayed at places twice the price and we're disgusted. We had no problems at all with this hotel and will stay here again.
Jenny---- Bakersfield, Ca

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JENNY N

Thank-you so much for such a wonderful review; we appreciate it very much! I am very proud of my property and my staff and am always happy to hear when a guest is pleased with their stay here.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future! Thanks again!

Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

The place is very close to the freeway and to the railway. Ask for a room with windows to other sites, then it is ok. Room was with TV and WiFi. Disappointing breakfast (coffee and sweeties). We've been there at 08.30 a.m. - it was closed!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank bea r
SUNIL R, General Manager at Budget Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am happy to hear that your stay was mostly a pleasant one. I apologize that the free breakfast was not what you were looking for; it works for many but we know it isn't for everybody, which is why we worked it out with the 24-hour Denny's next door to offer a discount to our guests who prefer to pay for a hot meal instead.

About the door not being open at 8:30, my morning clerk is the only person on duty at that time and sometimes has to leave the office to check a room or get supplies but is never gone more than a few minutes. I apologize for the inconvenience but glad to hear you did get the breakfast, since you knew the content of it.

Good luck in your future travels and we hope to see you back on your next trip to the US.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

My family and I are new to the City of Merced and we came to Merced because of the cheaper prices on homes. We came to Merced without a place lined up so we chose to stay at a hotel. On 2/20/2013 we chose to stay at the Vagabond Inn. Our experience at this hotel has been fabulous. We have a room that we are very happy with, it is a room that is spacious and offers free wi-fi, a mini fridge and a microwave. The hotel is very accommodating to its customers and is always there for them by promptly answering the phones, by allowing guests to recieve and send mail and from 6-9 in the morning they offer rolls, coffee and tea. With all of this, I couldn't of chosen a better hotel. For all who are traveling or who are like me and are choosing to live in Merced, this IS the place to stay. As far as the people who gave this place a bad rating, don't listen or read them because they are lies.

Room Tip: At the Vagabond Inn you get the most amenities at a reasonable price.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ramon C

Thank-you so much for the positive review. Pleasing our guests is our #1 priority here at Vagabond Inn Merced and nothing makes me happier to hear that we have accomplished that goal with one of our guests.

We strive to make all our guests feel comfortable and safe. A good review tells our entire staff/team that we're doing our jobs. We look forward to coninuing to provide you with clean, safe and comfortable accommodations in the future.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Repeat after me: I WILL NOT STAY AT THE VAGABOND INN. Ever. Don't do it. To do so risks your life and well-being.

I recently booked a block of rooms with our bike racing team at the Vagabond Inn. We typically stay elsewhere but that motel was full and this was the only other one that was dog-friendly in Merced. The rooms were inexpensive ($60 + a $6 pet fee), but even that low price was over-priced for the experience we had.

At $60/room, I was expecting a dump. My expectations were met and then some. I assume they put me in a dog room, but it hadn't been cleaned, there was debris on the floor, multiple stains on the carpet, iron burns on the carpet, and the bed linens were dirty. The heat/air unit was terribly loud (even by motel standards) and the telephone in the room didn't work. Our non-smoking room reeked of stale smoke (and other unpleasant things).

But all of this would've been fine if we had gotten a good night's sleep. Unfortunately, that's not how the night played out.

At 2:30 in the morning, while sleeping, I hear a loud knock/bang at the door. It startled me awake and I yelled out, thinking some kids were screwing around. I fell back asleep (not sure how long) and then heard another loud knock/bang. I proceeded to the door, looked out the peephole, and no one was there. I took a quick glance at the gap between the curtain and the window, and there was a man standing there (trying to hide from my sight). Now I'm really scared and quietly locked the door while he pounded on it again. This is when the stupid motion-sensor lights turned on (I have never stayed in a motel room with motion-sensor lights, WTF!).

I retreated to the bathroom and called 911. The intruder pounded on the door again while I was on the phone and proceeded to try to open the door, pulling on the handle again and again. I have never been so scared in my life, completely convulsing with fear. 911 stayed on the line with me for 10 minutes until the police arrived on-site and searched the grounds.

When the police came to the door, the officer told me that I should expect this type of behavior since we were in the dangerous part of Merced. He said the police are called out to the Vagabond Inn frequently. As we chatted, a man walked by 3 times and the police didn't even question him. The police officer went on to say that this was a dangerous motel with a serious drug traffic problem in the neighborhood and recommended we stay in a safer motel (doh!).

Of course, at 3:00am, when the police left, I was certain that my would-be intruder had watched the exchange and would come back. I was afraid he would break in the door or the window or shoot a gun into the room, so I barricaded the door with furniture and locked myself in the dark bathroom (because the light is also a fan and I wanted to hear if my intruder came back). Needless to say, I got no sleep after this happened and have never been so happy to leave.

I booked our rooms on hotels.com and assumed this meant there was some level of quality/safety. I could have dealt with the crappy room conditions, but cannot deal with risking my life to a meth-head intruder.

Please, DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lorri Lee L
SUNIL R, General Manager at Budget Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to review our property.

I am sorry to see such a poor review, however and you have my deepest apologies for any bad experiences you encountered during your stay here. For the record, that is NOT a common problem on our property. We have many loyal long-time customers who are happy with our accommodations and choose to come back here on a regular basis. I wish your stay had been as pleasant, but at times things can happen anywhere, on any property.

I did investigate this problem personally by reviewing the surveillance tape and this man came on the property about the time you mentioned and knocked on several doors that had the curtains closed, even a room that is out of order and, obviously, unoccupied, so you were not targeted. In questioning my night attendant, apparently only one of the rooms called and complained. She checked the monitor and saw the man in question knocking on his door and saw him quickly leave our property after our guest yelled at him to leave or he would call the police. Of course, I cannot say why he was knocking or what he wanted, but the last thing we want or encourage is unwanted visitors coming on the premises bothering our guests, especially at that hour of the night.

I also went and checked the telephone in the room you stayed in and found it to be in good working order, so I am not sure what happened there.

Again, my apologies for any inconvenience to you and for having to deal with such an incident while staying here. I wish you well in your future races and travels.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

I enjoyed my stay at vagabond inn with nice room and free wifi and the gal. AR yang gave me shampoo and also told me about the 10% discount. At the 24 hr Denny's located. Across the parking lot
There is also a laundry room for guest to use.
Overall. A nice. Place to stay with clean rooms and excellent location with good cheerful staff

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Easyguest007
SUNIL R, General Manager at Budget Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Thank-you so much for your nice review. It always makes me very happy to please my customers and I am very proud of my excellent front desk staff.

We look forward to your next stay with us!