“Wonderful Dog-Friendly B&B”
Review of Bear Creek Inn

Bear Creek Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Merced B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here along with our two dogs as a stop-over on our long drive from Oregon to San Diego. We were looking for someplace near the midpoint of our trip and randomly picked Merced. If this B&B were anywhere else they would be able to charge twice as much. We stayed in the free-standing Buggy House. It was clean, beautifully decorated, and the towels were incredibly soft. We also appreciated the bottled water and sodas. Cheryl served us a wonderful breakfast at the time we requested. The grounds are also beautiful.

The only downside would be the neighborhood/area. We walked our dogs to the park across the street and while we didn't feel totally unsafe, we felt quite out of place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LauraA309

Reviewed 25 June 2012

What ever your reason to visit Merced, business or pleasure, this is the only place to stay. The Hooper House Bear Creek Inn is a historical property impeccably restored and maintained. Samantha was our amazing innkeeper full of great information on the grounds, the history of the house and Merced in general. She also whipped up an delicious gluten free breakfast just for me. Don't forget to Take a walk along the Bear Creek in the evening after a long day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank decocat
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Are you coming home from Yosemite? Going to a Valley U.C. campus for business? Then this is the place to stay. The Bed and the Breakfast add to the experience if staying in a gracious Central California home. Breakfast is the real deal - no toaster ovens and bagels (unless you want them). The front rooms need more sound insulation. Merced is a classic California Central Valley city - the railroad runs right through the center of town. Ask for the cottage behind the main house. If you sleep lightly the extra quiet is nice.

Room Tip: Get the cottage if you are a light sleeper, or if you just want teh luxury of a little extra room to...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank C2000Consulting
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I'm torn about how to write this review because the aspects that I didn't enjoy about my visit are not under the staff's control at the Hooper House. The property is lovely, beautiful, cozy house with a beautiful garden. The rooms spacious and clean, and tastefully decorated with antiques. The bed was super comfy too. I can only say good things about the staff and the service. Everyone was very friendly and breakfast was delicious and plentiful. I really felt well taken care of during my stay at the Hooper House.
Now for the negatives; the property is very close to a busy street and the train station, which results in quite a bit of noise through the night and especially early in the morning. I was not happy waking up at 6 am to the train whistle. If you are an early morning riser or use earplugs to sleep, the none of this will be a problem. Unfortunately it was for light-sleepers like me. However I have to say that, despite having less sleep than I wished, all my crankiness vanished at the sight of the big smiles of the staff and a hearty breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank dharma22
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Boy did we appreciate the quietness, soft bed, white cotton quilt and feather pillows and big bathtub coming after a week of hiking in Yosemite and trying to sleep in a Curry Village tent cabin! Hooper House is a beautiful old historic homestead with lovely grounds/gardens, antiques and we felt like we were in the lap of luxury! You need to be aware that the innkeeper does not stay on site (we were not, and were a bit worried on arrival!) but we were there midweek and had the whole place to ourselves. Next morning, a fabulous cooked gourmet breakfast, and the friendly gardener drove us to the train station to catch the train on to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. We loved our night at Hooper House, a civilized interlude in our three week USA trip mostly hiking and camping! From Hooper House we could walk to some diners / restaurants for dinner and for us, coming from Australia, it was fun to walk in the warm evening through the residential areas of Merced, with the neat lawns and sprinklers and US flags, all very exotic and novel for us! It was a quiet part of town and we felt safe walking around there. Taxi from the train station cost about $8.00, from memory. You could walk, but it's at least a mile so a bit of a struggle with luggage. I think Hooper House does a lot of wedding reception type functions on weekends, so maybe it wouldn't be so peaceful then, but we were very spoilt and would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs suite at the back of the house.
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wonderingwanderer7
Reviewed 2 May 2007

I stayed there in spring 2006 with my wife on one of her business trips. I was very glad to be in a place where one actually loves to spend the day. It felt very homely -- almost like visiting your well-to-do grandmother. We both loved the place!

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank German_RedSox
Reviewed 13 March 2007

My husband and I stayed here last year and could not wait to return. We have a well behaved dog that was able to stay with us in our room. The house is super clean and everyone is very nice.

Stayed: February 2007