“One of the better choices in Merced”

Hampton Inn & Suites - Merced
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Merced
Walnut Creek, California
“One of the better choices in Merced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights before and after our visit to Yosemite National Park. The hotel is a 90 minute drive from the entrance to the park, so it makes it possible to spend a full day in the park and still get back to the overnight lodging without too much time spent driving.
We have stayed at (and enjoyed) other Hampton Inns, and have come to appreciate the cleanliness, up-to-date furnishings, spaciousness and thoughtful design of the guest rooms. Hampton Inn actually launders the duvets on each bed between every guest, and that is very nice. We had two rooms, next to each other, one with a king bed and the other with 2 queens. All 3 beds were comfortable, and each one has plenty of pillows, and nice duvets. There is a flat screen TV and also ample places to power up phones, cameras, tablets, etc.overnight. There is also a small refrigerator in each room, a microwave, and a coffee maker. The bathroom amenities were Neutrogena, and we enjoyed those.
The downside of the bathroom is that it doesn't have a bathroom fan, which is a sign of cheap construction.
There are plenty of towels furnished and the bathroom is a good size.
I especially like the free cookies at night during check-in, and the breakfast each morning was well done with lots of selections. They will fix a to-go bag for you with water, muffin, energy bar and fruit if you're too busy to eat at the hotel.
Our rooms faced highway 99, and they were noisy. There is a side of the hotel facing more away from the freeway, which I'm sure is much quieter, on the back side of the hotel.
Overall, we would stay at this property again, and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the side of the hotel that does not face Highway 99
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Livermore, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

So I'm not one to write long reviews and this is only a heads up as everything else about the hotel is good. I stayed in room 227. When I arrived to my room in the evening I was pleased the AC was running as it was a 100* day. After settling in I went to bed, but kept the AC on. After realizing the AC was to noisy to sleep I turned it off. I immediately notice a loud humming noise as I lay in bed. I assumed it was the AC in the next room, but after listening for 10 - 15 minutes realized it was a pump or hydraulic system as it was cycling every 60 seconds. First it would click on with a humming noise and then a loud click as it built pressure and then off again. This happened all night long. I was too tired to switch rooms and slept with a pillow over my head. The next morning went down stairs and sure enough there was a maintenance / mechanical room directly below my room making the same noise. I would stay here again however not on the second floor and never in room 227.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 227. Choose a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Everything was spotless and in good order. The breakfast was above average for a Hampton Inn. The staff was friendly and helpful. Be aware the parking lot is narrow and gets tight when the hotel is full.

Goodyear, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The staff was great, a big smile and a hello whenever I walked in the door. The room was clean and spacious. I was upgraded to a suite, top floor on the highway side. I thought it would be a problem but I could barely hear the road noise. The only complaint I have is essentially across the board with almost all Hamptons, no decent restaurants within walking distance.
The breakfast was a big disappointment. I would choose a Hampton over a HIE just because of the breakfast but this was not the situation here. The food was either over steamed or cold. The staff clearly did not adhere to their own rules. The door to the kitchen was clearly marked “this door must remain closed during breakfast service” but was propped open every morning I was there. The kitchen help did a great job of holding up the door jamb.
I would give this hotel a second chance. There are many hotels in the area equal distant to my customer, loyalty to one hotel will have to be earned.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bob M
indianapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hampton Inn has become our go-to hotel chain. However, this location did not live up to our expectations. We had an accessible room (by request) and the shower head did not have any place to hang. There was a spot on the wall where it once did, but nothing at this time. This made it extremely difficult to take a shower without having water spray everywhere. Our ice bucket and liner were soaking wet. We were able to get a new liner from the front desk. The staff was friendly. There was a lot of road noise from the adjacent highway.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rio Rancho, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hotel cleanliness needs improvement (dead crickets in the main lobby, dirty drawers in the room, no soap dish pan the bath room, etc.). Overall, I do not recommend this hotel for stay in Merced. Sorry :-(.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Yuba City, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Staff was very welcoming and accommodating but I had requested a handicapped room and did not receive it upon arrival. My father was unable to bathe over the next 3 days as he could not step over the tub rim. Sponge baths are for the birds!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton