“Look out for 1 time reviewers...”
Review of Best Western Inn

Best Western Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Merced
Reviewed 14 July 2010

It's summer time. Here I am reading as many reviews as I can get my hands on and I have never taken the time to write one. Shame on me and shame on anyone who reaps the benefit of tripadvisor reviews without ever making one.

Here is my 2 cents worth on this Merced hotel. My wife and I are avid hikers. We love to hike and walk in Yosemite Park. Camping unfortunately is not my wife's cup of tea. She can't stand the bugs, and we both need our private bathrooms. We tried booking a room in Yosemite valley only to find that the cheapest hotel room in the valley is in the $200 a night price range.
I saw the map and decided to stay in Merced before going to Yosemite. Coming from the LA are, I did not realize that the drive was about 70 minutes. The scenery is wonderful, but the drive is a bit of a long distance. We have done this twice and think that next time we'll stay in Mariposa, even if we have to pay an extra $50 for a room. Even then, the drive will be about 30 minutes. I guess the Awhanee hotel is the place to stay. Last time I checked an Awhanee Hotel room runs in the $300 plus range. Not sure I want to cough up such a hefty amount.
Anyhow. This Best Western (BW) in Merced was comfortable and reasonably priced in the $80 a night range last summer. The wi-fi and the free continental breakfast both add to the value that we get from BW. There's a restaurant across the parking lot, but we didn't go there. We decided to eat something in the family restaurant that's 2 blocks north of the hotel.

Oh yes.. I should mention that after reading about 100 reviews I've noticed that many
people are making an effort to vent about their negative experiences. Specially those who post one or two times. I am going to make an effort to post more reviews after my summer vacations. Reading what people think about hotels and restaurants is very helpful. I've been helped by other people's reviews. Hope this helps someone.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TRM60
Tiffany G, Manager at Best Western Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2016

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please stay with us again when visiting Merced.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Inn

Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed at this place while traveling to Yosemite National Park. Was told by Best Western 1-800 reservations that this place was "about 30 miles away from gate to park", more like 80 MILES. Upon arrival was greeted by unfriendly check-in staff. Rooms stale and dingy. The Bar/NightClub nextdoor did a great job of keeping us up till 4 Am. Cut anticipated time from 4 nights to 2 and moved closer (40 miles) to Yosemite Nat Park Gate (Mariposa).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review

Reviewed 28 April 2010

stayed at the best western inn,going to yosemite.the rate was great,rooms clean,employees helpful and friendly.the breakfast was really good,waffles,hardboiled eggs,a selection of juices. really had a good selection of breakfast items.it started early enough,so got early start to the park.would stay again if in this area and would recommend it to anyone coming to this part of california. some rooms available for people traveling with pets,which is good to know for people traveling.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ladymikey

Reviewed 4 April 2009

Convenient location for trips to Yosemite etc and a good stopover point. Basic motel with easy access, and basic rooms. Didn't feel that safe at night when we ventured out for dinner, but in the hotel itself was fine.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 April 2009

We booked through expedia, telling it 2 adults and 1 teen. When we got to the hotel, they charged us for an extra person on top of the expedia price. Management was very rude concerning the issue. We only stayed the night there because it was 11:00 at night when we were arriving and we did not know our way around the area.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review

Reviewed 14 July 2008

Overcharged me $10 more than room rate the quoted on phone. The charged me for KING size beds and only given me Queen Size, another charge. Horrible Highway noise, sounded like trains driving through when trucks downshifted through there. My room was UNBEARABLY HOT. I asked for another room, they said none available. The other room I rented was cooler. NO Price Value for the room--IT is WAY OVERPRICED. Tiny pillows, bed was barely comfortable.
No Handicap access in lobby where they have breakfast. As a guest, I had to open the door and help serve breakfast. No was was at the desk for 20 min during breakfast when I was there. On the phone they said breakfast was eggs, oatmeal, juice, muffins etc. Eggs were HARD BOILED (totally not what I had imagined), No ORANGE juice for the 3 days I had breakfast, Never in my life have I had a breakfast at a hotel without ORANGE juice, they did at least have cranberry and apple. Oatmeal were packages you heat in microwave.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

thank you for taking the time to write a review

Reviewed 16 May 2008

Best Western Inn in Merced, CA has the best customer service I had ever received from a hotel. Everyone was polite and courteous. They try everything in there power to made sure that you were happy. The rooms were beautiful, everything was in the proper place, the sheets on the bed were comfortable; not stiff like other places. There were no restaurants in the hotel but there were great restaurants near the hotel. The pool was beautiful; it is kept very clean not a piece of dirt in the pool. In other words the service was great the hotel was beautiful and clean. I recommend everyone to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)