“MUST READ REVIEW - Remove Comfort Inn banner” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Merced
Sherbrooke, Canada
“MUST READ REVIEW - Remove Comfort Inn banner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

We are a family of 4 that stayed 1 night in a King bed suite at the Merced Comfort Inn in August 2013.

I have to say that this motel makes me ashamed of trying to go out of my way to chose Comfort/Quality hotels based on, what I thought, was a controlled level of quality. If I were the Choice Hotel group, I would downgrade this place to a Rodeway Inn. I CAN'T BELEIVE THIS PLACE GOT A 3 1/2 STARS ON TRIPADVISOR.

The room was dirty, the wall paper was peeling from the walls, the sofa bed looked like a pretzel when unfolded, the sheets in the sofa bed had not been changed/made and were all dirty, the king bed was uncomfortable, its right next to the highway and the walls/windows/door may have just as well not have been there - we may as well have slept on the highway for the noise.

The hotel is old, outdated and has never been renovated.

Furthermore, at breakfast in the morning, they ran out of food at 08h00 when it should run until 10h00. When I asked the lady filling the buffet, she told me that they had 5 tour buses in the hotel - I asked the reception desk when they had learned the tour buses were going to be stopping over that night? I was told months ago. GREAT PLANING.

At the price for this place, I would risk a $29 motel with a 1 star rating on trip advisor because I am certain it couldn't be worse and, at least, I wouldn't have the feeling of being robbed at the price of the Comfort.

PS Please vote as helpful if you like this review

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MICMERG
Samantha G, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
I am very sorry you had such a bad experience staying in our hotel, we are looking into the problems you have brought to our attention. We are in the process of starting renovations here in the next 6 months, to update the property. As for the breakfast running out, I am unsure why there was not food refilled at 8am because we are always fully prepared for tours as well as other guests. I am very sorry for your unpleasant stay If you would please contact the hotel we would like to make things right and hopefully you will give us another chance if you are ever in Merced again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Henderson, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was somewhat close to Yosemite NP. We stayed for two nights and the room was not touched by the maid. When I reported this to the front desk they apologized and offered to bring us fresh towels but had no explanation of why the room was ignored. WHATEVER you do, DO NOT take a room by the pool!! Stay away from rooms 111,109, or 107! The front doors re very thin and there's a large gap at the bottom and the noise from the pool is unbearable. We're not prudes, but i've never heard so much profanity in my life. We kept the TV turned up loud to cover up the noise. They were supposed to close the pool at 10PM and did not do it until i called the front desk to complain.

Room Tip: Avoid the pool area at all costs!!! RM 109 107!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Samantha G, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
I am so sorry your stay with us was not a pleasant one, I am looking into the problems you experienced with staying with us, if you would please contact me I want to make this right, and hopefully if your travels ever bring you back in Merced you will give us another chance..

Travellers are raving about these Merced hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way to Yosemite. It's a nice place. Comfortable and clean. Awesome breakfast is served early in the morning. We enjoyed our stay here. Location is also good. Right near highway and lot of diners closeby. We were able to relax well before starting to Yosemite. Yosemite valley is 2 hrs drive from here. So a good location to stay if you don't want to spend lots.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Samantha G, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
I am glad to hear your stay with us was a pleasant and convenient one, we do hope you enjoyed your trip to Yosemite and look forward to seeing you next year.
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

This Comfort Inn is a very nice motel and typical of most Comfort Inns. The room was nice and clean and the bed was excellent. The room included a refrigerator and microwave and everything worked. It was a warm early June day in Merced when I was there and the air conditioner was very powerful, cooling the room rapidly.

The breakfast was typical of Comfort Inn and also very nice.

The only problem, and it is common among nearly all lodging businesses in Merced, is that this Comfort Inn was located immediately adjacent to State Route 99, which is a 24-hour per day freeway. It is noisy. It is also adjacent to State Route 140 but traffic there slows way down after dark. Whereas most Comfort Inns with which I am familiar have interior hallways and can be quieter than buildings with exterior hallways, this motel has exterior hallways. (There is a picture on the Choice Hotels website that leads you to believe that this building has interior hallways but this is not so.) The rooms face exterior hallways that wrap around a pool/courtyard and there are large openings to the outside that allow noise in.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far from State Route 99 as possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Samantha G, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were lead to believe we have interior hallways, but I am happy to inform you that we will have interior hallways with-in the next 6 month, we are also remolding our rooms, hopefully you can come back and stay with us and let us know what you think.
Encinitas, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I had to stay in Merced on this past memorial weekend to visit a family member. I read the reviews and it sounded okay. First I was terrified that I was going to be forced to sleep in the handicap room , 101#, located on the bottom floor, near the parking lot and office and pool and it was BAD. THen the very kind young women at the desk got us a better room on the second floor taking it from someone who had not arrived yet and it was already 11 at night . Sorry to them but thats the breaks. It turned out to be decent including a decent breakfast. Could have been worse.

Room Tip: get on the second floor with a window with a breeze.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Merced does not have many hotels. The ones that it does have are the standard chain hotels - from the Marriott at one end of the spectrum and the Motel 6 at the other end. We booked the Comfort Inn over the others because it had a good location close to the 99 freeway and had decent reviews on this site. The bad news - the water in the shower did not maintain pressure or temperature, the windows are single pane and allow road noise from the freeway, and there are few restaurants within walking distance. The good news - the rooms are safe, clean and comfortable, the staff at the front desk did accomodate us and did upgrade us because our room lacked the refrigerator and microwave called for when we booked on the web, and the breakfast was not bad with eggs and bacon on the menu.

If you do book a room in this town and have time, check out their local zoo and the aviation museum up the road in Atwater.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, try to get a room away from the freeway. A room on the first floor also helps...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ahbutz
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

1) the freeway is nearby and noisy. Secret? Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel. It's much quieter.
2) the scrumptious breakfast consists of fresh and tasty items. Pastries, fruit, juices, yogurt, usual scrambled eggs, sausage etc. The waffles are made by pouring fresh batter onto the waffle iron. Delicious!
Coffee is strong and comparable to Starbucks. In short, eating breakfast in the hotel brings down the room price and leaves you full and satisfied.
3) Rooms are clean. Yes, it looks like an older hotel, but it's well maintained.
Looking for a place to eat lunch/ dinner? Try New China Cafe on W. Main St ( 2 miles ) Cheap price, huge quantity and very tasty food.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo