“A Real Oasis - we were renewed and relaxed” 5 of 5 bubbles

Backyard Garden Oasis B&B
Ranked #2 of 3 Middletown B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, CA
“A Real Oasis - we were renewed and relaxed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

We wanted a quiet and comfortable place to stay, and we got much more than we expected. The garden is lovely, with birds and birdfeeders along with the impressive vegetable garden. Breakfast each day included fresh produce from the garden, enhanced by Greta's wonderful cooking. We were close to hiking, wineries, and the wonderful scenery, and we enjoyed it all. Truly a find - we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DandDSanFrancisco_CA
bygoasis, Owner at Backyard Garden Oasis B&B, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
I know it's been a long time, but I wanted to thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor. It means a lot to me! When you rebook here at the oasis, remind me to get a 10% discount on your reservation. Happy Holidays! Greta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
U K
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

We had the place to ourselves and our host was most welcoming............a true oasis for nature lovers.............cottages clean , comfortable and relaxing......great breakfast and interesting conversation.well worth a stop on the way to Nappa

Dave and Kate ( UK)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It's been a long time since you stayed here, but I wanted to thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor. It is a gift that keeps on giving. It means a lot to me! When you rebook here at the oasis, remind me to get a 10% discount on your reservation. Happy Holidays! Greta
Laguna Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

Had a hot, dusty day at work. But, I also had the pleasure of cooling down on the deck of my cottage, eating dinner and sipping wine and watching the birds in the garden at Greta's. The room was clean, the towels oversized and fluffy, and the bed very comfortable. It is the best part of my work stay in Middletown!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

My husband had a couple of days off from work so we decided to get out of Oakland and enjoy Calistoga for a couple of days. Backyard Garden Oasis was exactly what we needed. The grounds are lovely and the room was basic but very cozy and provided everything we needed for our stay. Greta was a wonderful hostess and made us feel very comfortable. My husband and I will definitely come back again the next time we want to get away from it all.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

This is the first place my partner and I vacationed at when we met 7 years ago and in August last year we were married at this beautiful oasis. We've spent time here many times over the last 7 years. The inn is quiet and peaceful, Greta, the owner is wonderful to talk with, she's smart and funny, and makes the most amazing breakfasts. After spending many wonderful weekends at Backyard Garden Oasis we decided it would be the perfect place to get married and it was. The planning was easy and Greta was able to suggest many vendors in the area to help us with planning our wedding. We had the most special day of our lives at Backyard Garden Oasis and we will continue to visit often! It feels like our second home.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Hi Sarah,

I've been sending this message to everyone, but it's especially true for you. It's been three years! Can you believe it?!?!I I think of you often.
"It's been a long time since you stayed here, but I wanted to thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor. It is a gift that keeps on giving. It means a lot to me! When you rebook here at the oasis, remind me to get a 10% discount on your reservation." Happy Holidays! Greta
tempe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2009

If you are looking for a peaceful, quiet, rural hideaway, greta's bed & breakfast is the spot for you! Her property is lovely and she is a gracious hostess. Also, if you have time, she is a terrifc massage therapist!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2007

I've been making a yearly trip to Calistoga/Napa area now for a few years for my birthday. Got online to see what places were available because my usual one wasn't. Found Backyard Garden Oasis, the pictures were breathtaking. Thought that would be a great place to go so I called up Greta & made a reservation. Upon arriving with my fiancee, we were greeted at the front of the house by Greta. She was having some work done on her front fence & post because someone had run in to it. No problem! We walked past that & had the choice of the 2 remaining bungalows. We checked out both & decided on the middle one. After unloading our bags, we walked back out & down to the pond. Wow, brown scum, stench, it was pretty disgusting. We then walked back up to the large yard & saw very few seats, all spread out, nothing together.
The couple of good things that did happen out of that visit first was Greta's recommendation to the Boar's Breath Restaurant. I haven't had a meal that delicious in such a long time. Everything was excellent from the crab cakes to our entrees, all the way the Henry Weinhard's rootbeer that my fiancee & I have come to love. Secondly was the perusing around Middleton, we found an old bookstore, quaint little shops, little snack shops. Just had a blast.
So after all that we went back to our room to relax. Tried getting some work done on my laptop but to my surprise couldn't get a signal. Asked Greta about it & she said that she had lines running out close to the bungalows. Went outside thinking that being closer to the wireless source might work, it didn't. So I couldn't get online so I couldn't get any work done.
The next morning we went up to the main house for breakfast of french toast, orange juice, coffee, & sliced peaches. We were introduced to another pair of guests that had stayed there the night before also. Greta went to serve us breakfast. She only had enough peaches to serve use 3 slices, french toast was mediocre, orange juice was from a carton at the grocery store.
Needless to say my visit was quite a disappoint from what I had read in the reviews & what I had seen on their site online.

• Liked — The Boar's Head Restaurant we went to for dinner.
  • Disliked — What was there to like at this place. Sorry but was disappointed to say the least.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tiggerloveseeyore
bygoasis, owner at Backyard Garden Oasis B&B, responded to this review, 23 May 2008
Because I found this review so disturbing and inaccurate, I must reply to its accusations. A negative review is a disaster to an innkeeper, far beyond any indignity that was received.
The pond is a natural pond, which attracts wildlife. As such, its smell is not always the most fragrant. However, the duck weed on the surface, not brown scum, provides protection for the fish and protection against mosquitos.
The seating on the lawns is subject to my guests' desires. They move around regularly!
There is no problem with our wireless service. Occasionally a guest with an inadequate wireless card is unable to get reception at a distance from the router in the main house. When this happens they are always welcome at the main house to do their work.
Yes, I am guilty of serving oj which is bought from the grocery store. It is only the best oj and served from a pitcher, never a carton.
I regret that this guest did not like my french toast, but the reviews of my breakfasts have always been extremely positive, including the french toast. In fact, some people return here just to have it again! I have no intention to change my recipe.
When I first read this review I contacted the guest to see if there was anything I could do to right the wrongs he felt he had suffered, but did not receive any reply. I would hope that if anyone had any negative experience at the Oasis, that they would have the integrity to let me know right away so that it could be remedied.
My only goal is to take good care of my guests and provide them with a positive experience that will warm their hearts for a long, long time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
The Sunburst Calistoga
The Bergson
The Bergson
#4 of 15 in Calistoga
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stevenson Manor

Been to Backyard Garden Oasis B&B? Share your experiences!