“Nice KOA, but worst owner/front desk”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Midpines
Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA
Simi Valley, California
“Nice KOA, but worst owner/front desk”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The KOA is located in a nice area, but the owner is rude. There are not fire rings. They do not honor the specials advertised in KOA's website. If you complain they would kick you out from there. Not even a complain through KOA's management worked.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank luzinsimi

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Folsom, California
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is the worst KOA I have ever been to! The staff at the front desk is not frendly or very helpful. They advertise HOT showers, but they are not even close! Every single shower I took was freezing cold, I would have been better off bathing in the snow melt-off. If you want to use the internet, i would suggest using only the free hour per day. I was told the 24 hour internet card was goot for 24 hours of use, not for 24 hours from first log in. While I am glad this KOA is here because Yosemite Park was packed, I will NOT be returning!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank squirrelycamper

Travellers are raving about these Midpines hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 4 June 2011

My son made reservations for 10 people, 2 cars. He was not informed that it will require to spaces (he is a kid in a hurry). When we got there we found out that he had 2 spots reserved, thier site says 1 car per site and up to 4 people (I read that and the reviews before we went). We showed up with 2 cars and four people. They still only allow one car per space, no place to park an extra car so we had to use both spaces. $160 for two week nights and 2 spaces.
Even if we could have used one space she was still going to charge us for our reservation of 2 sites, and we were the only tent campers there all the rest were empty. I don't want to go on, I know what it will cost me next time and will likely look else where.
We pitched our tents on clay dirt moist as it was not dried out yet, to bad they dont have pine needles for the tents, what a mess to clean off the bottom when you pack up (I did have plactic sheet). The comments I read about there attitude, most likely true so I would not push it.
I did use the showers, a little small but after a day of hiking a warm shower was nice. Did I mention the Dogs barking? Oh no, we were quite as could be as campers that get back to camp at 9:00pm respected the quite time, but the neighborhood dog barking at sunrise was irratating.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Hubby and I stayed at one of the fully powered (power, water & sewer hookups) drive thru RV sites for 3 nights over Memorial weekend in May 2011. As expected, it was a busy weekend and this KOA was completely booked out. There were a lot of families staying so lots and lots of kids running around. When I checked in I was greeted warmly by a lady named Becky and she explained the facilities of the park.

The park is set in a nice area around 40 minutes drive from the west Yosemite entrance. The YARTS bus stop is at the front of the park and it is $12 return to get into the park using this method. I'm not sure how many people were staying at this RV park over this time but I would guesstimate around 300 or so.

This is where the problems lie. This RV park does not have sufficient facilities for this many people. There are only 3 of each male and female showers so this means long waits for the showers, and a lack of hot water. I had one shower with warm water, the other two were lukewarm at best. One of the showers also leaked badly from the shower head and the shower head was set very low, I am 5'6" (165cm) and I had to crouch to wet my hair.

The toilet facilities were frequently dirty with toilet paper all over the floor and at one stage there was wet faeces on the seat. I assume this is because of the kids, but the cleaning was not frequent enough to keep up. There were also 2 hand dryers (no paper) with one being
unserviceable during my stay there. There were also plenty of curt, instructionary notes in the restroom telling you to do this or not do that, but there was no monitoring of this so the signs were useless (and rude!).

The RV sites are also very far from level, with our site having an obvious slope toward the bottom of the hill.

This KOA has a swimming pool and a games area but I didn't go into either so can't comment. It also has a a little store with overpriced souvenirs and general store priced basic necessities. The staff were nice enough and they also seemed to enforce the quiet time hours as it was noisy up until the quiet time. The park also gives you 1 hour of free wifi per day, however the wifi is patchy at best and therefore pretty much useless. ATT cell phone service was non existent which meant wifi was the only contact with the outside world so the unstable wifi was a real disappointment.

If this KOA could increase the number of showers and improve the cleanliness of the restrooms I would probably stay there again, but until then I would probably avoid this site if I could.

Room Tip: Give the cabins a miss - they look tiny!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Checked in fine. Cable was unwatchable. Asked owner what could be done. Owner said cable was fine and accused us of disrespect. Then she went off on us and ordered her employee to refund our money and kicked us out of the park! This woman should not be a franchiser for Koa Mariposa. RECOMMEND AVOIDING THIS PARK
AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank 20jlk11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Yes I saw all of the negative comments regarding this family owned KOA and was quite frankly anticipating a bad experience but being the only KOA close enough to see Yosemite and get away from the hoards of congested campers in the park, I had no other choice. I am so glad we camped there. The condition of the campground was the finest I have ever been to, the bathrooms were immaculate and the staff was very polite and friendly even after a day of dealing with VERY Difficult, Self-Intitled Diva Style Campers who I witnessed being rude and abrupt with the staff/owners. The pool was clean and soooo needed after hiking in Yosemite. Treat these owners like you would your neighbor and you will love it like we did.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank yojoe40
Lake Forest California
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Just called the place to ask some questions being I have never been there
and the lady was not friendly
It seemed like I was bothering her

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank lovelady
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midpines
Cedar Lodge
#1 of 6 in Mariposa
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA? Share your experiences!