“Quiet and nice”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Midpines
Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My family and I stayed in a deluxe camping cabin at this KOA for several nights while touring Yosemite. The cabin was very nice: clean, quiet, and large. It featured a refrigerator, microwave, futon, table, stove, bathroom, and even a small television. The hot water heater broke once and we didn`t notice until night, but a maintenance employee came out immediately to fix it.

Keep in mind that this KOA is a bit distant from Yosemite. It took us around 30 minutes to drive there each day, so we lost some time that we could have used to explore the park. However, it was nice to be close to Mariposa for supplies, restaurants, and cheaper gas than we could find closer to the park.

Room Tip: The deluxe camping cabins are worth the extra cost: they are far more comfortable than a simple camp...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Kristi K

Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed with another couple for 3 nights in RVs over Memorial Day weekend. We were concerned after reading all the negative comments too but the staff was friendly and helpful. We had the best RV sites in the place (51,52,53) which were new spaces not shown on the map. The grounds are well maintained. The only negative I have is that the rocks in all the spaces and roads are large base rock which are sharp and very hard on our dogs feet. We figured out the WiFi which is free. The lack of cell phones was a little annoying but once you get used to not having a phone you can enjoy relaxing a bit more :). We were going to take the bus into the park but decided to drive the RV in with our bikes which worked out great too. We parked along the road by Curry Village in the park and rode all over the valley. The best way to see everything! Had a great time and would go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for sites 51,52 or 53 for RVs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lorna A
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I was extremely hesitant to stay here due to the bad reviews but our options were limited as to what was available. I was extremely pleased with the staff as they were very friendly and helpful. The facility was very clean and well maintained and you could tell they had been working hard at planting new flowers and trees and making the place look really nice. We stayed in a cabin which was very nice. The garbage was always emptied and grills cleaned out almost every day. The KOA is about a half an hour from the park entrance but it's a beautiful drive from the campground and if you want to avoid the crowds of Yosemite Valley this is a great place to stay. We stayed five days and did not have an issue and despite the other reviews I would recommend this KOA.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank jimages
Reviewed 27 May 2013

KOA's around the country focus on a safe family environment that promotes the area it is located in. The Mariposa KOA is a prime example of what a KOA should be. The grounds are beautiful, well kept and clean. The little extra touches of care such as the bear figures and arcade in the train caboose add personality and flair to this woodsy getaway. The staff is fantastic!! Family run and owned, Bridget, Becky and staff are wonderful! They went out of their way to make sure we had a spot that had the correct source of power for our trailer. They made this trip enjoyable with the family friendly environment and by the end of the weekend I felt like I had known them for a long time. We received information on shuttle service, Bass Lake and local attractions for the kids. The store was nicely stocked with camping essentials, goodies, souvenirs, an ice cream shop, fudge and pizza to order.
Like other customers, I read the reviews on YELP and was worried about this campground. However, I am so glad I didn't listen. I have come to the conclusion that it's easy for people to take out their frustrations on staff, regardless of business. This KOA and staff have received a bad reputation and remarks, I believe, because they don't allow an "anything goes" attitude.
One comment I read said there was signs posted everywhere with No this or No that. Well here it is...
Parents are responsible for their kids (no kidding?)
there is no diving in the pool and no lifeguard on duty (normal)
No children under 14 allowed in pool without adult supervision (Yup, given)
Dogs not permitted in train or playground (normal, again)
No clotheslines allowed on sites. (Ok, so while we were camping there was a couple who hung a clothesline and I had a lovely view of their underwear. In fact my 5 year old got the privilege to play next to the granny panties. Until I complained that is).

I know that there is no way to undo all the negative replies about this campground. I asked the owners about these posts on Yelp. They said that these posts were follow-ups to events where they were protecting their family and the integrity of the campground. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I HIGHLY recommend this campground. It is peaceful. It is beautiful. It is 23 miles from the gates of Yosemite and one of the stops for YART (Yosemite Area Regional Travel) which is a very comfortable ride into the Yosemite Valley.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Regina L
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Okay so here is the real deal about this campground.
I would actually give it a 4 overall but so many false bad reviews have gotten the attention here.
First off the bad reviews probably have come from some very unhappy people that do not want to follow any rules.
This is one of the cleanest campgrounds I have ever been in. The buildings, grounds, camping space are very neat and very clean.
We stayed for 4 nights in a 50 amp pull thru. Full hook ups and cable TV with about 24 stations to choose from. I could not get my direct TV to work as there are many beautiful trees in the parks.
Pool was super clean but a little cold for me but the season is early.
The only negative about this whole place is the WiFi is not good except right at the office or by the pool.
The beauty and peace is what I come for. No cell phone service in the park but I could care less. If you have to have cell service or WiFi just stay home.
I personally talked to the owner and his family and they are the nicest friendly people you could ask for. Great family owned park with pride in their facility.
The staff gave me great suggestions on Yosemite as well as eating places in the area.
Best park from highway 140 entrance to Yosemite. Indian Flat is terrible and fairgrounds at Mariposa just an open field with shabby looking full time people in the back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Papa R
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We camped in our Class A RV for a week and found these positives: clean campground, great, clean dog walking area fenced in, adequate store, great pizza, excellent, clean laundry, (see a trend here?), paved roads, nice playground, attractive from the road. negatives: no wifi except very close to the office, but they have ordered an expansion; office staff very focused on the business end of things until you get to know them and then they warm up quite well. There is no cell phone service ad this should be told to the customers ahead of time. So, why a four rating? I got some needed exercise walking up the hill to use my wifi, got to know the ladies in the office and found them to be really nice people. They have no control over cell phone service. Having said all of this, the park is a good 45 minutes from Yosemite Village with full hook-ups including cable, so I really can't rate it a three and it does not reach the five level. they do need to tell customers about c the cell and wifi issues. Price was fair and it is only 7 miles to Mariposa where the cell phone works.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James H
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

We went out for a camp trip up in mariposa county for many reason; one, our very good friends had their birth day and wanted to take him out on a special day, we also had a friend out of the United States visiting and wanted to show her the beautiful site mariposa has to offer. We ended up getting lost and not finding the original camp ground we were going to. It got so late up to a point that it was 5 am in the morning. We are from monterey county and we don't know our way around we relied on apple maps which took us to a path where it led us to a very scary off road and to top it off the gate was close. So after searching for many places like I mention earlier around five we found KOA which we looked around for a info box so we can pay our fees. However we couldn't so we decided that hopefully we could pay once someone showed up. but we got the most rude lady ever came dropped off a envelope practically yelled at us you have 10 minutes to pay 86 dollars and I politely asked her that we came at 5 am if we shld put today's date. She gave me the worst glare I have ever recieved an said no you put yesterday's date. My camp buddies and I went to the front to pay and I told her she was being a bit on the rude side she got such a disgusting attitude and kept what felt to me schooling and not even making eye contact and once she did she gave me another nasty look. Anyway then after I told he that her attitude was not very customer friendly and that she should give me my place as a customer she said well I am the owner. I asked her name she said it was Bridget And to top it all I went in and ask for the wifi user id that we were subscribe I typed in exactly what she said and it did not allow me to enter. I am assuming she did not wan to give it to us. No body else in the staff was rude to us although nobody said hello or even acknowledge us until I had to approach this man to ask him about the wifi so I cld start this complain letter. I honestly felt like we were being verbally harassed by Bridget and felt very unwelcome and uncomfortable for the 6 hours that cost us $86.00

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Ela_dela_
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midpines
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA? Share your experiences!