“overnight near airport” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Syracuse, New York
“overnight near airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

A very comfortable affordable overnight stay while waiting for my next flight. It's 1 1/2 mile from the airport, free shuttle back and forth, set in an interesting semi commercial neighborhood. I wasn't interested in going to san francisco itself -- just relaxing waiting for the red eye. Lots of cute restaurants around plus a trader joe The room had a microwave and fridge so I could eat out and eat in. I was able to book an extra half day for half price. There wasn't really a pool, but a decent size jacuzzi and a small exercise room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

I seleted this hotel due to its location to the airport for a one night stay but what a pleasant surprise. Milbrea is a quaint town on the outskirts of SF. The hotel was nice and clean. We got a suite so the living area was separate from the sleeping area. Televisions in both areas. The hotel provided a staff recommendation of local eating places. There was lots of choices. What I loved was you could walk to everything resturants, little boutiques and sports bar. We felt extremely safe. I met a couple that said they stay here on each visit to SF due to it promity to the BART. I definitely will return and have shared this little secret with my fellow coworkers for our business travel to SF. .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank lovetotravelkc
B'ham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I was here a very short time (checked in at 9 pm; left at 4 am for an early flight), so I hesitate to be too critical. The hotel is new, so the interior is in excellent shape and has all the modern "touches" you expect in an up-to-date hotel.

My room had a very unusual design - a long, narrow rectangle, with a "box" for the bathroom in the middle. Nothing wrong, just unusual. One complaint - the thermostat had a paragraph-long explanation about how the hotel was "cutting the carbon footprint", so the unit had various settings and adjustments. After about 5 minutes of pushing buttons with no success, I went over to the traditional window unit and turned it on full blast, like I wanted. Please....spare me the carbon footprint garbage and let me have my A/C.

The parking garage was very crowded and tight, but I arrived late. Can't complain.

I cannot comment on breakfast, as it was not ready until 6:30, after I left.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Taco Bell.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Ooltewah, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

We chose this hotel so we could return our rental car the night before we were to fly out. We checked in late found out the shuttle schedule ran our bags up to the room and then took the rental car back to San Francisco Airport, then caught the Hotel Shuttle back. When we finally returned to our room we noticed the smell of smoke but it was very slight and we figured the guest before us had been smoking in the room. It wasn't enough to change rooms and it was late. The smell was in the living are more than the bedroom area anyway. We got up the next morning had a great breakfast and left on our flight. Everyone at the hotel was very nice at the time. Two days later I have a charge of $250.00 on my AMEX, I call the hotel and asked what the charge was for. The front desk person told me that we had been smoking in the room. I explained to him that we don't smoke and never have. He proceeded to tell me that we did smoke in the room and if we hadn't why didn't we report it. I explained to him that it wasn't that bad and we didn't realize that if we didn't report it we would be charged. He then told me that if we didn't report it we must have smoked in the room. At this point I was not too happy and asked to speak to a manager. He put me through to Janice the General Manager. I explained the situation again and she said that she could not do anything unless she gets approval from the owners of the hotel, she would investigate it and either call or email me with her findings. We waited a week and then my husband called and spoke with Janice. She gave him the same story and said she would get back with us. It has now almost been three weeks and we have not heard anything. I have disputed the charge with AMEX. It is too bad they have handled this situation so badly because the rooms are very nice and clean.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank FourWheeler72
Janice250, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport/Millbrae, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
First, we would like to thank-you regarding your comments that the hotel was nice and clean. Despite our best efforts to explain the charge to you and the reasons (unmentioned in your review such as the fact that the room was unoccupied the night previously) as to why we believe that the room was actually smoked in, it is unfortunate that our inability to accommodate your request to fully remove the charge has so drastically affected your overall opinion of the hotel and your opinion of our customer service. We are very concerned about both our customer service and the quality assurance of the hotel. As a result, if a room is smoked in despite the fact that the hotel is a one-hundred percent non-smoking facility as are all Marriotts, we are required to take the room out of service for one day in order to complete the following: send the drapes for cleaning, shampoo the carpet, clean all fabrics, wipe down the wall, run an air ionizer for twenty-four hours, and freshen all seating fabrics. This is why the charge is $250.00 to partially reimburse the hotel for the loss revenue and work that needs to be done so that future guests are not affected by the smoke. It is not our intent to profit from the charge or in any way upset our valued customers.

Travellers are raving about these Millbrae hotels

Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

The main reason we chose this place over others was for the free parking - but it's no longer free so take that out of your equation. We stayed on Marriott Points and when we arrived they put is into a handicapped room with a bathroom door that did not close or latch properly. I called back down to the front desk who told us there was nothing they could do for us because the hotel was sold out...this was around 4:00 pm.

Hotels may be sold out, but the people who arrive first for checkin are not doomed to a particular bad room - so speak up if you don't like your room. After my unhelpful phone call down to the reservation desk, I personally went down to confront the situation face-to-face.

I was told again the hotel was sold out, and I was mistaken because I was not given a handicapped room. Really? Just because the peephole in the door was at waist level, and the bathroom door had a flat push bar instead of a round knob, and just because there was an audible doorbell with flashing lights for my room only - that doesn't mean I'm in a handicapped room??? Sure it does!

I told the front desk lady I understood that the hotel may be sold out, but the difference was that I was already there and I wanted a room with a bathroom door that closed. When the others guests arrive for their check in they can choose between the rooms that are available for them. But for now I want a different room.

Sure enough - they had a different room for me. It's worthwhile to mention that I'm also a Silver Elite member - this is not good treatment to people who are loyal to the Marriott brand.

Breakfast was rather limited and pathetic.

I've stayed in other hotels that are nearby and better - the Bay Landing Hotel is one of those, and it included a big nice breakfast buffet.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tmynatt
Modesto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I've stayed here before and this time was as good as any time previously. The check-in was smooth , the room was immaculate and had the same excellent features. They included 2 flat screens, a bed that is as comfortable as any hotel I've been in ( lots of pillows ) , clean carpet and drapes, nice desk for working , good sofa in the lounge area, bathroom that had good water pressure in the shower , nice amenities and clean, clean , clean. There's a gym , free breakfast with plenty of options including hot breakfast sandwiches , and underground parking. Good restaurants nearby. I love this place. You can't go wrong price for value.
Highly recommended for solo, couples and families. It's part of the Marriott chain , which is always a good brand to go with for hospitality.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank travelingwilbury2008
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here one night before am flight home out of SFO. Easy to find hotel, smooth check in and clean rooms. Parking was only $6.99 for the night. Beds not so great but understandable for the price. We had a rental car so easy access to fast food, but not much within walking distance.

Overall we were pleased with our short stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
BEST WESTERN PLUS El Rancho Inn
The Westin San Francisco Airport
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae
Aloft San Francisco Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport/Millbrae? Share your experiences!