“Good choice”

The Dylan at SFO
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 June 2008

We chose the Travelodge in Millbrae as a convenient place to stay while making a short visit to San Francisco before leaving by air, and were not disappointed. The BART station is a short walk and provides convenient transport to the downtown (about 30 minutes to Union Station). The motel is a basic travel inn, but it was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was basic but had enough variety to satisfy us, and the coffee and juice were fresh. The staff were friendly and helpful. There was a drug store and a grocery store within walking distance, and a number of choices to eat (we opted for the Panera Bread, which requires crossing the freeway overpass and is thus better reached by car though it is quite close). Downtown San Francisco has plenty of things to see and do - we enjoyed the Botanical Gardens which are both free and beautiful, as well as the Union Square and Fisherman's wharf areas. Leaving for the airport was straightforward as the shuttle was there when promised (note that you must schedule it ahead of time) and it is only a short ride. We arrived from the south by rental car, and there was good signage directing us toward the hotel from the freeway, making it easy to reach.

• Stayed: June 2008

Reviewed 20 June 2008

I am happy to write this review to let people interested in this Travelodge to know that this is a great choice. I have stayed here many times over the past 4 years and have never been disappointed.
The staff is absolutely great. They are always friendly and helpful and I always feel welcome when I arrive.

I usually stay in one of the deluxe rooms. They have always been clean and very spacious. They have microwaves and refrigerators so if I feel like eating in the room I can go to the grocery store across the street for any groceries I may need. Of course there are several restaurants within walking distance as well. And no need to worry about breakfast because they have breakfast set up in the lobby in the morning. They offer a nice selection of breakfast items. The location is a big plus. This is just across the street from BART and CalTrains. You can be in SF in a very short time on BART. The hotel offers free shuttle service to SFO and you can leave your car there while you are away on your trip.

I highly recommend this Travelodge to anyone flying in or out of SFO or visiting the SanFrancisco area.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank klbaz
Reviewed 9 June 2008

Clean, neat, close to airport with 24-hour shuttle. Real good expanded continental breakfast. Can also leave car there for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dsilva27
Reviewed 8 June 2008

We stayed on the third floor of this motel. There is a small elevator, but we chose to use the stairs when we didn't have our suitcases wth us. I asked for a quiet location. It wasn't too bad for noise, but it was warm when we were there (most of the time), so we usually had the AC or fan going, so that may have drown out anything that was going on next door or outside. On the other hand, you could really hear if someone was running the shower anywhere else in the motel. I did learn to close the bathroom door at night, and that helped.

The parking was very limited. Most of the time we were left with only one stall open, and it usually happened to be right next to a cement pillar, making for a very tight spot. I was wondering why there didn't seem to be many cars leaving the lot each day. I finally found out at the end of the stay that they use their lot for a park and fly. I don't think they have enough real estate to be using the lot for those purposes, or those utilizing the service should have assigned stalls (preferably right next to the pillar where I always had to park).

I brought my laptop and had zero issues with the wireless internet.

I did have issues with our key card demagnetizing 3 times in 7 days. It was very frustrating coming back after a long day on our feet, and climbing two flights of stairs with our hands full of our day's purchases, only to have to tromp back down those stairs to have it rekeyed, and then back up again.

The breakfast was limited - toast, cinnamon rolls, pastries, boiled eggs (which tasted old to me), yogurt. We would usually take something quick and bring to our room.

The desk staff were not very friendly, nor conversational. I asked if there was a charge to use their printer, if so, how much? What I got in response was him raising three fingers. I said "three cents?" He finally responded and said "three dollars - $2 for using their computer and 50 cents per page." That seemed rather costly to print a page or two, especially when I had my own computer already. Their soda machine did not accept larger bills (I think I had a five), so I had to ask for smaller change, and that was with minimal communication from the desk person. They could use with more personable night staff. The day people, we had less interaction with, however they did seem better.

The room itself seemed clean enough. I never walk barefooted or in my socks in ANY hotel room, so I couldn't tell you anything about how dirty the floors really are, like some other posters. I did not see any signs of cockroaches or bed bugs. Two things that I look for rather thoroughly. I do not want to bring any unwanted visitors home with me. I do like the fact that the hair dryer was NOT bolted down, so I could bring it out to the main room and finish my hair while someone else could use the bathroom to get ready themselves. That helps speed up the process.

The location was very handy. The BART train was a three minute walk - about a block and a half. Then it was a 20 minute ride into SF. The Millbrae BART station is the last one on the line, so you ALWAYS had a place to sit on the train going into SF. We were not always so lucky coming back. If you are using your car to get around (we did a little of both), you were about 2-3 blocks from the freeway, so you had the convenience, without all the traffic noise. You were about a 5-7 minute car ride from the airport - just one ramp further up the freeway. We did not hear much noise from the airport, however.

I was not really impressed with the selection of restaurants in the immediate area. We typically ate before coming back to the motel, or made a special trip afterward. There was a Chipotle Restaurant across the road, but it was closed when we were looking for dinner. There was a Wendy's right next door, but we never ate there. It always looked dead inside, making me wonder if anyone else ever ate there either?

Pricewise, we paid $90 something per night plus tax for two beds.

The beds were very comfortable, as were the pillows. I am not as spoiled with my bedding at home.

I would be willing to stay here again in the future if I came back, but I would still research other locations for price vs. convenience of location before reserving.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank try2hunymoon
Reviewed 30 May 2008

We stayed twice at the Travelodge and both stays were good. The location is convenient to the airport and to BART for going into The City. The rates were reasonable, for the area. The rooms were clean and well-maintained.

Most important, the staff were uniformly friendly and helpful, whether we were asking for directions, restaurant recommendations, or for a place to keep our luggage while we left for a few days.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J_and_M_T
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We needed to stay close to the Airport as we had a very early departure,
The Travelodge Airport at Milbrae was great. It was clean, comfortable and easy to get to the BART for a vey quick trip into San Francisco.
The breakfast that was included inthe price had a great selection to choose from. The Shuttle bus to the airport was a very good service. Would recommend the place for a couple of nights stayover.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank superlou
Reviewed 23 April 2008

I checked into this hotel and found that the wifi connection in my room wasn't working. Despite several calls to the front desk, it still didn't work, so I decided to check out and find another hotel.

I was surprised when the hotel manager told me that because I had stayed in the room for more than 30 minutes, she would have to charge me for one night's stay. I suppose I might have acutally stayed in the room more than 30 minutes. Sheez, it might have been as much as 35 minutes - most of which was spent trying to get an unacceptable situation rectified.

I think the manager's decision to charge me was deplorable. Her parting comments to me were particularly offensive. This Travelodge has firked me out of $88, but it will be the last $88 that they - or any Wyndham hotel brand - will ever get from me.

There are too many other hotel alternatives available to put up with this sort of treatment. I suggest that you look elsewhere. PS The Quality Suites about two blocks north of the Travelodge is about the same price and their wifi works.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank SushiPilot
travelinBurlingame, Public relations manager at The Dylan at SFO, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2008

While we respect the views of all of our guests, we occasionally find the need to respond to a guest review that we consider to be inaccurate. Our property utilizes a T-1 line for both our voice and data connections. We have 5 routers placed at stategic points throughout our property whcih we monitor closely as we understand how many of our guests require a strong, clear, fast signal for their business or leisure needs. We continue to offer our wireless connection free of charge to all our guests. When this guest checked into our property, he informed our front desk manager how important the wireless connection was to him. He was placed in a room directly adjacent to one of the routers. The signal is no stronger anywhere else on our property. More and more of our guests are using our wireless signal but many of them have limited knowledge of how to use it. Many expect just to turn on their computer and go. Often there are additional steps that are required but many guests do not want to go to that effort. They expect it to work the exact same way as in there house. When it does not work the exact same way, the guest many times puts the blame immediately on the proeprty. This guest falls into that category as he did not want to listen to any suggestions that the front desk manager offered him. Our server was working fine that day. We always have our computer on behind the front desk and we had no issues at all. We asked the guest to reboot his computer before finding our Travelodge signal. We asked him to turn off any firewalls that might interfere with the reception of our signal. But he did not want to hear any of this and he eventually became more and more demanding in a more and more demeaning tone. He continued to insist that it was not his problem and it must be the hotel problem.. He even insisted that the hotel reboot our entire system. Yet our computer continued to work in the back office. Finally after more than 30 minutesof continual negative interaction with our front desk manager, he stormed down to our front desk and decided to check out. Our front desk manager informed this guest of our 24 hour cancellation policy so he would be charged for 1 night. If this guest had been polite and really had connectivity issues that were the fault of the property, our front desk manager would have gladly waived the 24 hour cancellation policy.
Our Travelodge just won the Travelodge Property of the Year award for the entire United States for 2007. We have also been awarded Travelodge Best Customer Exoerience award for Northern California and Nevada the past 4 years. We understand how important customer service is to our guests.
We also understand the importance of guest reviews on TripAdvisor which is why we wanted to promptly respond to this guest review that we consider to be grossly inaccurate.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
The Westin San Francisco Airport

Been to The Dylan at SFO? Share your experiences!