“Good airport hotel in San Francisco”
Review of The Dylan at SFO

The Dylan at SFO
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Good airport hotel in San Francisco”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We picked this hotel for its excellent location (1 mile from SFO and two blocks from the BART station), its 24 hour airport shuttle and its good reviews on Tripadvisor. However, it offered much more. The room had recently been refurbished and was very modern. The breakfast in the small lobby had many choices and the area was very clean. However, we very disappointed with the front desk staff. We had an 11AM international flight and scheduled the complimentary shuttle for 9AM thinking it was only a short ride to the airport. The next day we arrived in the lobby at 8:50AM and were waiting quite a while for the van. We asked the gentleman at the desk (who had taken our request the day before) what was holding up the van. He then told us that if you ask for the van for 9, it means between 9 and 9:15. If he had told us that, we would have scheduled the van for earlier. Also when I again asked the status of the van, he just kept repeating it comes between 9 and 9:15 and did nothing. In fact another guest could no longer wait and took a private cab. The van eventually came with many passengers from another hotel and we were lucky that our terminal was the first stop. I am sure management is aware of the security problems at any airport and the need to be early to any flight. The front desk should inform all guests of the way the shuttle operates. I am sorry to have to write this because in all other aspects, the hotel fulfilled all our needs.

Room Tip: Make sure to make sure your room has been renovated.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janice621

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was planning a biz trip for a conference and wanted to stay in SanFran. However, my company wasn't going to pay the money for me to stay in SanFran - I needed to regroup. I did some research, and picked The Dylan because it was in my price range, had good reviews, and I could get to SanFran in my rental car without going over a bridge.

This place is SO MUCH BETTER than that..... The combination of the staff, the excellent updating, a comfortable feel, a nice neighborhood, and proximity to the airport, BART, restaurants, and downtown SanFran make this a GREAT place..... I don't think I've felt this comfortable at a hotel in a long, long time. I could go on and on, but that would be repetitive....

I didn't realize I could walk to the Millbrae BART station when I booked the hotel, but that was a very pleasant surprise. I didn't use the train everyday, but it helped a couple of times when I needed to travel in prime time, and avoid that nasty traffic.

There are some very nice Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, and other restaurants very close - a quick walk or a short drive.

I was here for business, but I noticed some couples staying here that were clearly on vacation.

You can't go wrong...stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Astoria, Oregon
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I recently returned from a trip where my husband and I stayed at the Dylan. I was interested in doing touristy things but knew little about ow to get around. Dave was working the front desk and he was very helpful in helping me determine what sites to see, where to eat and how to get around. I was so pleased to have him go the extra mile for me. Our room was nice, large and reasonably priced. I will definitely be back again. Maybe next time he can do something about the rain.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelley H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed here one night before embarking on a road trip, then decided to re-book for the end of our trip before we flew back out to London. I booked based on tripadvisor reviews.

First time was better than the second. We were on the 1st floor, double room. Very clean, all the amenities you need - hairdryer, iron, USB charging ports, WiFi. Nicely decorated. Nice clean bathroom - that is a major thing for me who is a little OCD! A tiny bit noisy with the traffic and train station being next door.

We booked the second time for the last leg of our trip. We were expecting a similar room to the one we had the first time. This time on the 3rd floor. Older room, Bathroom was dated, a lil mouldy, nowhere as nice as our first stay but OK.

Location is very close to airport, lots of shops and restaurants near by and of course the train station which is couple minutes walk but super convenient to get into the city. Free parking too.

Breakfast was sufficient, option of cereals, waffles, toast, bagels, eggs, juices, fruit, tea and coffee.

Not much interaction with the staff, but on our last morning, whilst having breakfast, which is right next to the front desk, there was a very annoying member of staff who was having a very loud personal conversation with another member of staff at the front desk. Not very professional.

I would book again if I get a newer room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank GGB82
Christina O, Owner at The Dylan at SFO, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
We thank this guest for taking the time to write a review of our hotel including the kind words they have shared. We have worked tirelessly over the past 18 months to improve our property which includes all new guest room furniture featuring electric outlets with USB ports built into the night stands and desk. We just want to clarify one point. During this long process, there were 4 bathrooms on the third floor which had not yet been updated due to previous time restraints. Unfortunately this guest upon their return stay was given one of those 4 rooms. Since their stay all 4 of these bathrooms have been completely remodeled so now all of our guest bathrooms like all of our guest room furniture have been updated. At the Dylan, we are committed to providing our guests with a quality stay in a fantastic location at a good value.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our second stay here and once again the Dylan is a great choice if you want convenience . There is a BART station just across the road . The Airport is minutes away with the shuttle. A Lucky market across the street with a great deli section for in room dining. Many restaurants around the area within walking distance.

Room Tip: We had lots of luggage so we asked for a ground floor room , there is an elevator from the car park...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick R
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I've stayed in Millbrae before knowing it was a great balance between getting a budget-conscious hotel and having good transportation into SFO airport and the city (via the BART). In this case I went for the Dylan since I'm quite keen on "boutique" hotels that aren't all boringly furnished like the big chains.

This turned out to be an excellent decision. The Dylan is a beautifully presented hotel, exactly as described in the pictures on their website. The room was very clean and everything worked. My only gripe was that that the wi-fi was down on the first evening, and the guy on reception couldn't help. However after a few hours this seemed to fix itself.

I would note that there was no refrigerator in the room (although a space for one in a cabinet was present) and that the room was actually quite noisy (you could hear neighbouring room's showers). However I'm not a light sleeper so none of this was an issue for me.

The decor of the rooms and hotel as a whole is beautiful. The room was well equipped (I love the bedside power and USB charging outlets) and the safe was very useful too. The room was perfectly cleaned and maintained. Buffet breakfast was good and the 24hr coffee & cookies very much appreciated.

All in all a fantastic and beautiful, value-for-money hotel that I highly recommend, overall possibly the best hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: From what I gather all the rooms are great. I was on the top floor which had a nice sunset view over...
Green Features: Respected the water shortage issue which is encouraging to see
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SteveCrozier
Bad Hersfeld, Germany
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stand 7 weeks in USA. We are from Germay and my english is not so good. Before we are in "The Dylan" we travelling Arizona, Utah and California. Many cities, many peoples and many miles. And very helpful persons!
The last week we stand in Monterey and we book "The Dylan" for the last night before we go to New York. "The Dylan" was very good (clean, near Airport, nice town for eating..) but the guest service was very bad! Mister Csillik and Mister Jones was very kindly. But Mister Reynolds was a Katastrophe! We have Problems we the flight (Delta Air) and i can not phoned. We asked Mr. Reynolds to help us. But now, the first person in our holiday the do NOTHING. We are shocked!
We go with BART to the SF Airport and cleared our problems on Delta Air. Now we are back in Germany. We are happy: Only one person in 7 week will no help. What a good quote!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the back the are noisy.
Green Features: The green practiseis are very good. I hope, in the future many hotels and motels go the way like "The Dylans" in Milbrae.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lothariusderErste
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Aloft San Francisco Airport

Been to The Dylan at SFO? Share your experiences!