“Great Room for Multitasking”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
California
“Great Room for Multitasking”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Of all the hotels I can remember giving my cash in exchange for a place to crash, I thought I had seen every possible way to economize space in a hotel room. But the La Quinta Inn in Millbrae, CA surprised me with their in-room "office" space.

I stayed at the hotel for three nights in mid-June 2013. According to friends who live in the area, the hotel used to belong to a different chain, and it was in some form of transition when I was there. Lots of rooms were under renovation on the third floor, the floor of our double-queen bed room. The exterior of the hotel was bright and orangey-yellow cheery; the parking was adequate underneath the hotel and I felt safe there. All the rooms have exterior corridors that face into a central courtyard: half of which features an unheated pool and weight room. Those of you who like to posture and pose as you work-out will enjoy the fact that anyone leaving their room will have the opportunity to gaze at you as you burn off those calories gained from the mini-donut stand on Pier 39. I preferred to burn off my extra energy the more typical San Francisco way: shivering in the "refreshing" summer breeze that even caught the attention of Samuel Clemens. Strangely, the other half of the courtyard was empty: no chairs, no barbecue pit, no stage with a clown in makeup creating animal balloons for the kids. Next to the pool, there is an interior dry sauna room lined with cedar. We used it a few times. It took a lot of trial and error to work the controls since the markings for the switches and knobs were mostly illegible from rust.

The lobby was typical, and one evening upon our return, there were some cookies in Otis Spunkmeyer sleeves laid out for the guests. I ate my cookie two days later and it was not hard. Speaking of hard, we ate breakfast one morning in the breakfast room behind the lobby. We got down there around 8:30 am: prime eating time for all the cheap travelers like me. The small place was crowded to the point of having to wait for a seat. Some enterprising guests (obviously having previously navigating the morning gauntlet) brought down trays from their rooms to pack food to go. I would advise this: take the coffee tray and the water tray. We were not in a hurry, so we waited. We had to wait anyway because there was only one waffle maker in the room and everybody wanted waffles. There was also scrambled eggs, diced potatoes, the thinnest bacon ever (that was still somehow chewy and not at all crispy despite being half as thick as a paper plate), and a wide selection of breads with a 4-slot toaster. There were some cereals and milk and yogurt and oranges and the ubiquitous juice dispenser that always seems to deliver the most-diluted of beverages regardless of the hotel. The next two mornings, we ate breakfast out.

So, I know you are impatiently skimming this review to get to the important info: how was the room? As I said, many of the rooms were being revamped, some totally torn down to the drywall. I imagine some rooms are brand new. I don't think ours was, but it might have had new carpet. It was a standard room, and the beds were comfortable, with the blanket sandwiched between two sheets the way a lot of hotels do these days. The top drawer in the dresser was wide open when we first entered the room, and it would not stay shut, so it is still open as far as I know. (Room 306, dear manager, if you are reading this.) There were two chairs in the room: a work desk chair that was comfortable, and one of those wooden and upholstered chairs you find in the waiting room at the dentist office that was okay.

The sink area was small: one sink and the microwave and coffeepot took up a good chunk of the counter. The toilet / shower area was even smaller, but multifunctional. The clothes hook was missing from the door, although the screw holes and outline of the hook were there to cruelly mock me as I looked for a place to hang my clothes. But the best part of the toilet area was the phone mounted to the wall. You could conduct business in there as you were taking care of your personal business (see the photo). Now that is forward thinking! Although, many jokes about having a crappy day at work flooded my mind.

Would I stay here again? I suppose if it was the cheapest place in town. The room is worth 80 bucks, but we paid about 50 bucks more each night. Cheap for the area, and a good place for the airport or if you want to stay cool. If you prefer things a little more warm, stay a few miles south: an easy 10 degree F difference just down the 101 freeway.

Room Tip: Rooms with "20" in the number (120s, 220s, 320s) probably are the most sheltered from the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PowerhouseD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
Oregon
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Our family decided to stay at the La Quinta as the price was great and the location was very central to everything we would be doing in the bay area. The stay itself was great - the rooms were spacious and clean and the free parking, continental breakfast and gym were all a major plus.
What we experienced after we left was what was disappointing. We left an expensive baby item in our room by mistake upon checkout. When we realized the next day it was missing, I immediately called the hotel to see if I had left it. We were told we had found it and we could pay $30 to have it shipped to us. Pretty pricey, I thought but it was our fault for forgetting it, so I forked over the $30 to have it shipped. Long story short, we NEVER received our item (this was 2 months ago). The hotel claimed they shipped it "regular mail" but did not get any tracking or shipment confirmation. After many calls to them inquiring about the item with little to no answers or explanation they finally refunded my $30. Moral of the story, if you plan to stay here, make sure you take EVERYTHING with you, because you may not get it back if you leave it!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LovetheDucks
Ripon, California
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We still use LaQuinta Inn, Millbrae, to stay overnight prior to catching an early flight to Europe. It takes the stress out of driving to SFO the same day. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the rooms and breakfast are more than satisfactory for the price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Great and courteous staff. Well priced rooms. My family and I could not have been any happier. After a horrible stay at a well named hotel this stay definitely made up for that. Lobby staff was very helpful when called upon. Great stay will go back for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

Fantastic staff, very friendly and helpful. Rooms very clean and spacious and cleaning staff all very polite and friendly. Only downer was not being ble to access the wifi from my room, but staff tried everything to no avail, but they offered to get me a coffee every time I came down to the foyer to access it. Great position close to the airport, reflect for the last couple of days of our trip to relax and unwind before the long flight home. Good choice of restaurants close by and public transport and free pickup to the airport. Good shopping centre short cab ride away..would not recommend the walk as a bit further than stated !
Would definitely stay here gain..great value for money

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
toronto
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Stayed in a room with a kitchen for 5 nights while visiting San Francisco. The staff were very friendly and helpful, free airport shuttle which was convenient, the rooms were nice and clean and I enjoyed the breakfast. Not too far from the Millbrae BART station. Will come back if I visit San Fran again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Aloft San Francisco Airport
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West? Share your experiences!