“Breath of fresh air”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Reviewed 23 July 2013

After initially checking into the Days Inn down the street and being treated poorly with substandard rooms, we stumbled into the La Quinta. The front desk staff workers were all pleasant, professional, courteous and most importantly helpful. Travelling with two kids 2 and under is not easy, and they did everything to make our stay just that: easy. The rooms were spacious and easily fit a crib without taking up walking space. There is also a pancake house within walking distance that is family friendly with outstanding food. The convenience of being close to the airport and the price range made this a no-brainer when looking for a room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed in this hotel on our way to Yosemite. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and very comfortable. Only one small complaint was the traffic noise from the street. We ran the A/C in our room though so that made it much better. The breakfast was excellent. Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We loved our stay at the hotel, we had a big room with king size bed, a sitting room area and a fully equipped kitchen (oven, fridge, dishwasher, cooking rings, pans/cutlery...). Wifi is free and had a good connection, lovely garden around the pool area, small but neat gym. Breakfast was good although we nearly didn't have any because we got there at 9:30 not realising that it was served only until 9:00, however the breakfast lady very kindly let us in the room and we could eat while she tidied up. Special mention to her, she saved the day for us by being so kind and understanding! The location for us was great as we were taking the plane the day after (only 6 km from sfo). I would also recommend this place for people who want to visit San Francisco and don't necessarily want to stay in the town, it is not far from the bart public transport. Shops and restaurants are within walking distance from the hotel.
Very small negative point : Breakfast should be served until 9:30 at weekends to accommodate people on holidays like us who don't necessarily want to rush to get ready before 9:00 (especially with children).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank veronique d
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. It is located close to the SF airport, and they offer a free shuttle to the airport as well. We have very good memories from this hotel. The stuff is helpful. Complimentary breakfast is delicious, especially fresh wafers! We wanted to have a room with jacuzzi and it was very nice one. We enjoyed a lot! Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Monica A
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here one night after getting in late from SFO. We had a room with a complete kitchen. Stove oven and micro. Full size fridge with freezer. I was sad we were only going to be there They have a shuttle service to and from the airport. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Honoria H
A La Quinta traveler
Wheaton, Illinois, USA
Reviewed 29 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Of all the hotels I can remember giving my cash in exchange for a place to crash, I thought I had seen every possible way to economize space in a hotel room. But the La Quinta Inn in Millbrae, CA surprised me with their in-room "office" space.

I stayed at the hotel for three nights in mid-June 2013. According to friends who live in the area, the hotel used to belong to a different chain, and it was in some form of transition when I was there. Lots of rooms were under renovation on the third floor, the floor of our double-queen bed room. The exterior of the hotel was bright and orangey-yellow cheery; the parking was adequate underneath the hotel and I felt safe there. All the rooms have exterior corridors that face into a central courtyard: half of which features an unheated pool and weight room. Those of you who like to posture and pose as you work-out will enjoy the fact that anyone leaving their room will have the opportunity to gaze at you as you burn off those calories gained from the mini-donut stand on Pier 39. I preferred to burn off my extra energy the more typical San Francisco way: shivering in the "refreshing" summer breeze that even caught the attention of Samuel Clemens. Strangely, the other half of the courtyard was empty: no chairs, no barbecue pit, no stage with a clown in makeup creating animal balloons for the kids. Next to the pool, there is an interior dry sauna room lined with cedar. We used it a few times. It took a lot of trial and error to work the controls since the markings for the switches and knobs were mostly illegible from rust.

The lobby was typical, and one evening upon our return, there were some cookies in Otis Spunkmeyer sleeves laid out for the guests. I ate my cookie two days later and it was not hard. Speaking of hard, we ate breakfast one morning in the breakfast room behind the lobby. We got down there around 8:30 am: prime eating time for all the cheap travelers like me. The small place was crowded to the point of having to wait for a seat. Some enterprising guests (obviously having previously navigating the morning gauntlet) brought down trays from their rooms to pack food to go. I would advise this: take the coffee tray and the water tray. We were not in a hurry, so we waited. We had to wait anyway because there was only one waffle maker in the room and everybody wanted waffles. There was also scrambled eggs, diced potatoes, the thinnest bacon ever (that was still somehow chewy and not at all crispy despite being half as thick as a paper plate), and a wide selection of breads with a 4-slot toaster. There were some cereals and milk and yogurt and oranges and the ubiquitous juice dispenser that always seems to deliver the most-diluted of beverages regardless of the hotel. The next two mornings, we ate breakfast out.

So, I know you are impatiently skimming this review to get to the important info: how was the room? As I said, many of the rooms were being revamped, some totally torn down to the drywall. I imagine some rooms are brand new. I don't think ours was, but it might have had new carpet. It was a standard room, and the beds were comfortable, with the blanket sandwiched between two sheets the way a lot of hotels do these days. The top drawer in the dresser was wide open when we first entered the room, and it would not stay shut, so it is still open as far as I know. (Room 306, dear manager, if you are reading this.) There were two chairs in the room: a work desk chair that was comfortable, and one of those wooden and upholstered chairs you find in the waiting room at the dentist office that was okay.

The sink area was small: one sink and the microwave and coffeepot took up a good chunk of the counter. The toilet / shower area was even smaller, but multifunctional. The clothes hook was missing from the door, although the screw holes and outline of the hook were there to cruelly mock me as I looked for a place to hang my clothes. But the best part of the toilet area was the phone mounted to the wall. You could conduct business in there as you were taking care of your personal business (see the photo). Now that is forward thinking! Although, many jokes about having a crappy day at work flooded my mind.

Would I stay here again? I suppose if it was the cheapest place in town. The room is worth 80 bucks, but we paid about 50 bucks more each night. Cheap for the area, and a good place for the airport or if you want to stay cool. If you prefer things a little more warm, stay a few miles south: an easy 10 degree F difference just down the 101 freeway.

Room Tip: Rooms with "20" in the number (120s, 220s, 320s) probably are the most sheltered from the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank PowerhouseD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West? Share your experiences!