“Cute, comfortable, quiet, clean, convenient, and friendly!”

Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
GreenLeadersBronze level
Okinawa City, Japan
“Cute, comfortable, quiet, clean, convenient, and friendly!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

From now on I will fly from Japan to San Francisco instead of LA just so I can stay at this hotel before flying east (or west). It's close to the airport, has hourly shuttle flights, it's within walking distance to BART, the subway, and to stores and restaurants of every variety. Their own restaurant is very good. It's pre departure "snack" is delicious and filling--their egg and ham or vegetarian alternative and their muffins and scones are definitely a cut above the usual bland breakfast offerings. The rooms in the back of the hotel are standard, and you wouldn't want to stay in them if you weren't going to have a car. But the rooms in the front of the hotel near the front dest and the pool and restaurant have some ambience--the double queen room we stayed in had the second bed in a small second room--perfect for me and my granddaughter. We stayed here on the first night of our trip and then again on our last night--and my granddaughter specifically asked if we were staying here again and wanted the same room. They were accommodating and gave it to us again. Also the rooms were VERY clean and and the beds very comfortable. Best of all, the entire staff was warm, friendly, and helpful. When I mentioned this to the receptionist, she told me that the hotel has been in the same family for several generations and they treat the staff well, so the staff is happy--and it shows. My military discount made this an excellent value, but it would be a good value even without it because of its overall feel-good quality. This isn't a big, fancy hotel; better, it has a warm, personal feel while providing the expected comforts and services. I never write such long reviews, but I LOVED this hotel!

1 Thank Carolyn G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Horsham
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I have been wanting to visit San Francisco since we were married 11 years ago. With air travel from the east coast and downtown hotels out of our price range - The El Rancho was a perfect destination for us. I did a lot of research, and read a lot of reviews before reserving my room. We arrived earlier than check in time and we were able to get into our ground floor room as requested. We were back in the 500 building - around the back of the building where it was very quiet. Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable.

On our first afternoon we had a quick lunch at the Terrace cafe - which we enjoyed on the patio. We also had a pizza with some beers one evening when we returned from the city. We also took advantage of the Departure snack every morning - bagels, muffins and croissants were a great start to each day.

We used the shuttle for three days to get to the BART station at the airport to get back and forth to downtown. With the shuttle leaving the hotel every 30 minutes it was very convenient. When we arrived back at the airport each evening we called and were picked up within about 10-15 minutes each time.

The only blip in our trip was that I was under the impression that the BART shuttle would take us to the Millbrae BART station - but it takes you to the SFO airport station. The convenience us fine, but the cost of taking the BART to the city from SFO is double that of taking it from Millbrae.

GREAT VALUE - GREAT STAFF - GREAT FOOD - GREAT SHUTTLE!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Fran on a budget!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Traci C
McKinleyville, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We always stay here and park our car because flying out of our local airport is expensive and unreliable. This hotel is great - the rooms are quiet and clean with comfortable beds, plenty of towels and other little amenities, nice breakfast, great airport pick-up and delivery. There is a pool if you have kids who need to burn off some energy before being cooped up in an airplane. The staff is helpful and very efficient - they even took the time to see if they could get us a better price on our return. It is great place to rest either before taking a long journey or coming home from one. Our car was well cared for - it is parked outside so the windows were a little dusty but otherwise OK. Prices are very reasonable compared to other SFO park and fly hotels. I recommend it to all of my friends.

1 Thank Teresa S
Roseville, California
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Like all but one Best Western we've stayed at, the room was superb with a fantastically comfortable bed and fastidious cleanliness. We were very fortunate to have a downstairs corner room in the middle section. Because it was a corner room it was very spacious. Our king bed was like sleeping on a firm and fluffy bed. The TV remote and extra blanket are in sanitary coverings and everything was delightfully clean. Our room, # 203, was very spacious with comfortable arm chairs, a very nice small closet, and a refrigerator with a nice touch - it was hidden in the TV cabinet. The refrigerator is small but adequate. I wish there had been a small freezer. The bathroom is quite small but it sports the charming old fashioned peach and maroon tiles,and the water pressure is great. There are two glitches in the bathroom. The small towel rack is so tiny and close to the sink that you can barely fit a wash cloth on it. The other are two torn wallpaper patches that were obviously re-pasted and very poorly done. There is one drawback to this particular Best Western. There is a free breakfast but it features only "Departure Snacks" consisting of sweets and sugar laden instant oatmeal. There is a cafe featuring real food for those wanting a healthy meal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank ougeekgirl
Cambria, California
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Their parking lot for travelers at SFO is a well oiled machine. You can park here while your on your trip. A lot of people use this. (I did.) Everything else is pretty average. No breakfast included. When you add up parking value and room value, you're not saving much money. But it is convenient.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Radbuster
Pine Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I gave this hotel 5 stars because it kept its promise to provide a shuttle from and to SFO and provided a nice, clean room and a little breakfast before departure. The shuttle was prompt each way, and it did what we needed it to do. Our room was clean and there were plenty of clean towels. The bathroom was tiny and the coffee maker was missing a part, but it had a decent restaurant and the wake-up call was right on time. The property was well-maintained, with lovely palm trees and an abundance of beautiful flowers. I would recommend The El Rancho to anyone needing a hassle-free stay while waiting for a flight. I'd definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room to avoid having to haul luggage up steps. There are no elevators.