“Poor service for Early Check-in”

Extended Stay America - San Jose - Milpitas - McCarthy Ranch
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Toronto, Canada
“Poor service for Early Check-in”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We arrived earlier than expected in San Francisco and called at 5am to request accommodation at the hotel as soon as possible, since we were travelling with an infant. We were told that the hotel was fully booked, so we would not be able to be accommodated until some guests checked out in the morning. A staff member reached via the toll-free number suggested we should go to the front desk after the hotel opened in the early morning to see if there were any early check-outs that would make a room available for us prior to the normal check-out time (11am).

We found other things to occupy our time until the mid-morning and came to the hotel around 9:30am to inquire about the availability of a room. The front desk staff informed us that there were still no rooms available, but we could wait in a room next to the lobby (where we were not directly visible and we couldn't see/hear what they were doing at the front desk) and they would let us know when a clean room was prepared for us. I asked how long to expect this to take and asked for about 30 minutes to check up on it. I took note of the fact that there was a piece of paper behind the front desk with my name on it and a note about my call in the morning to request early check-in.

The hotel staff kept us waiting for over 4 hours! Worst of all, they kept asking us to give them "30 minutes" to check on it and seemed to be simply trying to delay us until regular check-in at 3pm instead of actually trying to help us!

The general manager was little help, as he was defensive and reiterated that check-in is at 3pm, saying that they hadn't done anything wrong. I explained to him that I had not accused them of wrongdoing and I am aware of the regular check-in time, which is why I called ahead to request early check-in. I noted that I had seen several housekeepers return to the front desk, there was a notice about my call sitting on the desk since 5am, it had been several hours since check-out time, and I had been given the expectation of an answer within a half hour several times already.

We didn't get checked into a room until 1:30pm, and that's after I refused to leave the lobby until they actually checked if a suitable room had been cleaned!

The condition of the room was reasonably good, but there was a slight scent of cigarette smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. However, the cigarette odour was much stronger in the bathroom and became even stronger when the exhaust fan was turned on. Given the difficulties we had already encountered, and the hotel staff's repeated declarations that the hotel was full and they had no room, we decided that the cigarette smoke odour was a minor annoyance and put up with it for the duration of our stay since it was tolerable as long as the bathroom door remained closed. I notified the manager of the odour upon check-out.

Apart from the check-in debacle, we were generally satisfied with our interactions with the hotel staff and facilities. However, the four hour wait and delay tactics that we were subjected to were totally unacceptable, especially given that we had called in to give prior notice about our early arrival. The treatment we received shows a lack of concern for a paying customer and total lack of consideration for my time. Had the staff simply been up front and honest about the situation and kept me informed it would have been a far better experience and left a better impression. Even if they had checked the availablility, then told me that it would be several hours, I would have been able to make alternate arrangements and completed other tasks during the wait time instead of being kept waiting in half-hour intervals while the staff did not appear to be actively working on the issue. Furthermore, given the length of time that the staff were aware of the request, they could have told one of the housekeepers to let them know as soon as the first suitable room had been cleaned, which would have allowed a smooth early check-in and guest satisfaction.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

A good coat of paint cannot mask the problems with this hotel. Every light switch in my room was broken. There was no hot water and the coffee maker didn't work.....well that is what I thought. It turns out that all of the outlets in the kitchen were broken. The hotel room didn't have any toiletries like shampoo. You have to ask for them at the front desk; invariably I discovered this after i got in the shower.
I did report the broken coffee maker and the lack of hot water to the front desk but 8+ hours later, nothing was done.
If you are desperate for a place to stay and sleeping in your rental car is not desirable, then this is the hotel for you. For all others, I would not recommend.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dohn J
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Milpitas - McCarthy Ranch, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dohn - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that your room did not meet your expectations. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you I am working with our maintenance staff to repair items in your room as needed and correct the issues you pointed out in your review. As well, I am reviewing our maintenance policies with the entire team so that our guests needs are attended to in a more timely fashion moving forward.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I invite you to contact me, at mlp@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks. They does not clean the room regularly. Feathers were poking out from the pillows. There was no drinking water available in the hotel. The breakfast sucks! They say that you get complimentary WiFi in the room, but that's very slow. To upgrade it to a reasonable speed, you have to pay more. Also the reception is hardly helpful if you need any assistance on travel etc.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Milpitas - McCarthy Ranch, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I sincerely apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and our reception desk was not as helpful as they should've been. To prevent this from happening again, We will ensure that our team goal is to make sure all guests feel that this hotel is their home away from home with providing GREAT customer service. We are also continuously working on upgrading our Wi-Fi speed to cater to our guests needs. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing.

If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at fmt@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Wylie, Texas
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Condition of the kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity were appalling. There was significant water damage and overall condition and appearance will prevent me from ever booking regardless of the price. The bathroom appeared to be somewhat clean but there was human hair in the sinks, bathtub and on the floor which was disgusting.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Milpitas - McCarthy Ranch, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Clay - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room upon arrival. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought your concerns to my housekeeping staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. As well, I am working with them closely to ensure our cleaning procedures and inspection policies are improved moving forward.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at mlp@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
California
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Check in staff didn't want to hear that i reserved a high floor quiet room, just said they where fully booked but the hotel was half empty, given a room on the 1st floor next to the stairs, as the rooms now have wooden floor you can hear every time someone walks around, which at 2am is not good for sleep

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Milpitas - McCarthy Ranch, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. In response to your feedback, I assure you, that we do try our best to accommodate all our guest's requests when we have the rooms available.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mlp@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Comfy bed but down pillows aren't lined, hope you enjoy feathers poking you all night.
Cleaning service did not remove trash or renew toilet paper.
Fridge barely cooled anything, we lost all of our frozen food as a result. Nice, no need for that kitchenette now...

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to get a room by the pet area, which meant no cars parking outside at any odd h...