“Good Indian Dine-In option”
Review of Kinara Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

Kinara Restaurant and Lounge
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Very good food. But beware of the portions- they are huge and the staff does not warn you & you end up with excess food.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

My local friend took me once to this restaurant, located a bit aside from the main roads at the Best Western Hotel premises, and since then every time I'm in the area I'm looking for an opportunity to dine there.
The place is relatively small (about 50 sitting places), and the service and the food are excellent.
Everything is very fresh and was cooked for us considering our preferences (we asked the dishes to be mildly spiced). Chiken and lamb (butter and curry) were literally "melting" in the mouth, leaving a pleasant taste of a meat and of the spices, mixed and interleaved together. Naan was "irresistible" (try one with garlic) and some vegeterian dishes (cheese, lens, greens) were excellent as well.
I'll definitely come back there in my next visit in the area.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

I have eaten at scores of Indian restaurants in Silicon Valley over the years, but I think that Kinara is the best.

This restaurant is the closest to my office and my colleague and I were the first to eat there when he opened about a year ago. Since then, I have eaten at Kinara at least 25 times, always for the lunch buffet and never for dinner.

There have been many Indian restaurants in the same location over the past decade or so. The last one served food that was too salty and eventually went out of business. There are about five other Indian restaurants within walking distance (Milpitas seems to be a magnet for them!).

Kinara seems to have staying power. The food is excellent and their reputation has spread so that sometimes they are quite crowded.

They have a good range of both veg and non-veg items. On the verg side, the dal and saag are always good. On the non-veg side, the fish curry, lamb curry, and goat curries are all good. They have good tandoori chicken and naan is promptly served at the table.

For desert, they usually have mango mousse, rice pudding, and gajar halwa (carrot).

Soft drinks and tea are included.

In my opinion, the second best Indian buffet in the south bay is the Bombay Garden in Newark. It is larger, has a larger selection of items, and is more comfortable. But I think the food at Kinara tastes better overall. Give it a try!

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Great flavor and fresh food. The tandoori chicken fresh off a wood chip barbecue grill is the best I have eaten ever. Dino - the owner is a gentleman and a great host. Staff is friendly and quick. Ate here for 3 out of my 4 meals in milpitas and will be back again during my next CA trip.

Reviewed 2 October 2007

Found this little gem of a modern Indian (Asian fusion) restaurant in Milpitas, right off the 237 and 880 Milpitas exit.

Very impressed by the quality of the food, both the meat and the sauce (curry). I've tried the butter chicken and curry fish, both were excellent. The tomato herb sauce with the butter chicken is bright and flavorful. The slightly coconuty curry fish has a ginger kick that takes the dish up several notches. Neither relied on spiciness, but rather on fresh spices for flavor.

A big huge plus is that the naan (soft chewy bread) is free, it comes with your entrees. Have a choice of herb naan (pesto) or plain naan. Both were fresh out of the oven and so good on their own, or soaked with curry.

The appetizers look really good too, their spicy chicken wings and fried oysters are popular (according to Yelp), but I have not tried them yet. The entree and bread stuffs me up just fine.

This restaurant is situated within a Best Western Hotel, near a gas station. Not easy to see since it's not on a big street, but it's less than a block from the 2 freeway exits. Since parking is in a parking lot with hotel traffic, I wouldn't leave valuables visible in the car.