“good food”

Cuisines: American
Bengaluru, India
“good food”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Tried out beef and streak..good food. I liked the variety thay have. Service is good, nice place to hangout.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Brezop

Fremont, California
“New but old with great cooking”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This was difficult to rate due to great variations in the food and atmosphere. First of all the food and background: The owner, Willie used to have a great BBQ joint in Newark in a run down shopping center, next to a Mexican restaurant & bar. Unfortunately he was forced out by the Mexican restaurant many years ago and disappeared - till now. From what I understand he is a co-owner of this restaurant and they use many of his recipes. That is why his BBQ sauce and potato salad are simply outstanding. I have never eaten better potato salad. I had his sauce on chicken and ribs and they were very good as well. Right now, from what I understand, the ribs are being stir fried in a wok as while they have a great smoker and the ribs are smoked for many hours they have no way of grilling them with the sauce. Willie knows better than to try to sauce ribs in a smoker. the chicken is done in the same way. This all creates delicious but messy dishes. Meat portions are substantial and worth the money. However when I go back I will ask for sauce on the side and plain smoked ribs as the ribs are good enough to stand on their own and I don't need them coated with sauce to enjoy them. Unfortunately the ribs were quite fatty so I may stick with the chicken to keep within my diet. As mentioned the potato salad was outstanding. We also had beans and Mac & Cheese as sides. The beans were anemic, tasting like they came out of a generic can. After taking them home and spicing them up with molasses and BBQ sauce, they turned into something quite delightful. The Mac & Cheese also had issues. The cheese sauce was almost like water with no real cheese flavor. We took that home as well and after adding some Cheddar cheese it was also quite editable. I rated the food average only do to some of the lackluster sides. If the rest of the sides had of been half as good as the potato salad, food would have been rated excellent.

The decor of the restaurant was poor - plain walls with bad pictures of the food taped to the order counter. They had a menu on the back wall but no prices. They only had 1, yes one, menu that listed prices that they handed out to order from for the entire restaurant! The restaurant looked like it was focused on carry-out business. It was however kept clean. The business had two employees when we where there - 1 cook and on taking orders, serving, and collecting payments. While the service was congenial and friendly, it was also slow and erratic. While I rated the service poor it was not due to the servers attitude or effort. The place is just not set up for service. It seems to be a cross between fast food and carryout with tables provided for those who those who wanted to eat in.

So would I go back there again - Yes, but only for the BBQ meats and potato salad. Unfortunately the do not sell meat and sides ala-carte except for catering. I wish they did as I would order a slab of ribs, side of sauce, and potato salad to take home.

To summarize, I think that this restaurant has great potential but they need to clean up their act to make it.

• Visited April 2013