“Very poor quality”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very poor quality”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed at Larkspur Milpitas for 2 weeks, very bad experience. They only clean your room every other day if you stay longer than 5 days (I guess it's some kind of reward for long stay customers !!), the breakfast is a joke, the staff is...well, there's no staff. It looks and smells very old, the gym is super tiny, there's no bar in the hotel. The worst part is that the prices are pretty high and in the same price range as hotels such as Sheraton or Crowne Plaza. To me this is a Motel, not a Hotel. It was my first and last time at Larkspur.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
bhutchison, General Manager at Larkspur Landing Milpitas, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback; it really does help us to understand where we need to focus our continuous improvement efforts. First, let me offer my apologies that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Secondly, I wanted to let you know that I am working to address the areas of dissatisfaction that you experienced. As a part of our green stay program, we do provide light service every other day with full service once per week for all guests that are in house for more then 7 days. We are happy to provide full service daily upon request and I apologize if this information was not properly explained to you upon your arrival or if you found it difficult to locate and/or communicate with our staff during your stay. We are using this as a training opportunity to review our policies & procedures and expectations with our front desk staff. Regarding our breakfast, we are always looking for ways to improve although we do currently provide hot menu items seven days a week, we will certainly look into adding additional items to our menu in an effort to improve our guest satisfaction.

Thanks again for helping us to improve our product!

Best regards,
Brian Hutchison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Breakfast was awful, room was awful (pillows terrible, sheets dirty, bathroom dirty), gym was a joke ( machines broken), reception did not care. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. Entrance smelt of sewage just to set the atmosphere of what you will be walking into.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Fisher_andrew
Vlaardingen, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Stayed here for 8 days for business in Silicon Valley. Rented executive suite with free high speed internet access. High speed is not free, but you have to pay extra.. Again, cutlery and crockery are carton... what is that with higher end places.. why are they doing that. Breakfast was ok, not great. Bed was very nice and also the area offered many places to eat and shop.

Room Tip: Choose a parkinglot room, other side faces 237 Southbay Freeway.... noisy...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Have stayed multiple times at this Milpitas Larkspur Property latest being September 2012.

The great location is a huge plus and a major pull. So much to eat and explore in the ranch drive.

You can start off with a good enough breakfast with even a few hot cooked items.

Rooms have kitchen along witt all essentials and are spacious enough.

They do have a shuttle service but do ensure that you book in advance ( they even have a drop to the Great Mall).

Fairly close to SJC though you wont get a shuttle there

My only gripe about this place they tend to be real picky about the check out and can be gruff about it! ( No grace time!)

Priced reasonably this one offers a great location with the basics

Ravi

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
bhutchison, General Manager at Larkspur Landing Milpitas, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay here at the Larkspur Landing Hotel in Milpitas. I apologize that we were unable to allow a check out grace period during your recent stay and hope that this did not cause too much of an inconvenience for you. Although we do our best to accommodate all of our guests needs, we tend to have a very high occupancy throughout each week and as a result are often unable to accommodate late check outs. The scheduled check out time allows our housekeeping staff enough time to clean and prepare those rooms for each arriving guest. On dates when we have a lower occupancy and are not fully committed, we are happy to accommodate such requests.

Thank you for staying such a loyal and valued guest of the Larkspur Hotels.

Japan
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I stayed there 5 nights on a business trip and enjoyed teh hotel. I had no maintenance compaint (which I often have in America) and the sleep quality is good. The bed is comfortable, I could set the heating as I wanted, and there was no noise. Telephone and internet worked well.
Breakfast was reasonable, with some hot dishes that changed daily. Some were better and some less.
There are restaurants even at walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback from your recent stay here at the Larkspur Landing Hotel in Sunnyvale. It is always helpful to hear first hand from our guests, how much they were able to enjoy their stay. We do have the Feature Topper on our signature FeatherBorne beds and am happy that they made for such a great nights sleep.

Thank you again for your time and for your business! We hope to see you again during your next visit to Sunnyvale.

Brian Hutchision
Bedford, New Hampshire
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed at the hotel on an interview trip to a local company. While the hotel is close to both 880 and 237, I didn't have any appreciable traffic noise in my room. The room was large and comfortable with a full kitchenette. The breakfast was the standard buffet of sausage, pancakes, cheese omelettes, fruit, etc. They also had cookies at the front desk upon arrival. If you like In'N'Out Burger, they are about 30 yards from the hotel entrance. Many other chain restaurants and shopping are right down the street.

Room Tip: I always advise staying on the top floor so that don't hear footsteps of the people above.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
bhutchison, General Manager at Larkspur Landing Milpitas, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share such positive feedback from your recent stay here at the Larkspur Landing Hotel in Milpitas. It is always helpful to hear first hand from our guests, how much they were able to enjoy their stay.

Thank you again for your time and for your business! We hope to see you again during your next visit to Milpitas.

Brian Hutchision
California
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for the weekend to attend a wedding. It was very attractive in the lobby and the rooms, and was looking forward to a really pleasant stay.
First of all, I am familiar with this part of town but it was almost humerous trying to figure out how to get to the hotel. I finally saw the sign the second time I drove around the loop. The sign is only about two feet off the ground, below the better lit sign for the adjacent hotel. Part of the sign was obscured by bushes. It is very hard to see when driving, especially in the rain. We finally figured it out and because I am handicapped, parking was not a problem. I was able to get a handicapped room with no difficulty, and even had a choice of the type of bathroom accomodation for my handicap. ( Thanks management team) . But after that things started to become difficult...
I turned on the room lamps, and got a very nasty shock! You have to stick your hand up underneath the lampshade to find the switch. So as I was feeling around for the switch, my fingers came into contact with broken exposed wiring, and when I turned the knob, fire came out of the exposed wiring. I immediately called the desk, and told them what happened and they did not say anything! Not even an apology or any solution to the problem! So I then requested a new desk lamp to be sent to the room, asap. It took about 45 minutes for the maintenance guy to come to the room, but there was some misinformation as he thought he was to repair our stove. I explained the problem and he said he would repair the lamp, but I told him I wanted it replaced instead. So he came back with a new lamp, but the lightbulb in the new lamp was probably only about 25 watts and it was not much brighter than a nightlight. I told him it was not bright enough, so he politely returned to the room with new, brighter lightbulbs. He was very polite, but I was starting to feel as if I was being too demanding!
Anyway, as we unpacked, we discovered that the closet was unbelieveably tiny. There was a laundry basket set on it's side on the floor of the closet, because there was not enough floor space for it. ( This was before we put anything in the closet.) There was also a full size ironing board hung on the side closet wall that took up 1/5 of the hanging space in the closet. The total amount of hanging space in the closet is only 12 inches! There is actually another 11 inches of width in the closet, but because of the bathroon configuration, it is useless space that is only about 14 inches deep. Of the 12 inches of hangable space, the ironing board takes up 4 inches leaving a grand total of 8 inches to hang clothing! Absolutely crazy! Luckily I have been a world traveller and am a very light packer, but we were only able to hang one dress, one shirt, one pair of pants ( all for the wedding) and one lightweight rain jacket. So then we looked around to find a place to hang our heavy coats, and discovered an armchair in the corner, but it had a large stain on the seat, so now we had to use a towel to cover the chair, to set the coats on.
Now, because the laundry basket is laying on it's side, om the closet floor it is completely unusable and it is taking all of the closet floor space! We have 4 pairs of shoes to put away, but now nowhere to put them! So we take the laundry basket and cram it into the top closet shelf, sideways and on end, so we can put only 2 pairs of dress shoes and later the shoes we are wearing away properly. Also the hanging rod in the closet is too tall to be accessible to a wheelchair user, but my non disabled companion was able to reach it.
Luckily, there were three drawers in the dresser/ tv cabinet to use to put away our other belongings.
Then we noticed the challenging storage situation in the bathroom: because I am handicapped, we were able to get a fairly large bathroom. They are usually large because a wheelchair user requires a wider doorway than standard size, and there needs to be adequate room for a wheelchair to maneuver inside the bathroom as the user transfers to the toilet, etc. But this bathroom had no storage at the sink, even though there was more than enough room. So we were left with no place to put a toothbrush, dopp bag, or anything else. Across from the toilet was a set of 3 plastic bins that are usually used in a kindergarten classroom to store blocks and art supplies.
I suppose this is where we have to set our toiletries? So we decided to do some furniture switching again and moved the bins closer to the sink. Do you think that the management would be concerned about fire hazards like hot curling irons being placed on the cheap plastic? Oh.. Of course not because we already presented with a clear hazard with the exposed wiring on the lamp! I also am aware that many hotels don't have towel bars to use to hang up wet towels, and that before I was handicapped, I could use the unsanitary but functional shower curtain rod to hang a towel. But now the curtain rod is out of reach, and the only place to put the towels is on the floor, which makes navigating the wheelchair impossible, or on the shower or tub floor, which makes it nearly impossible to use for taking a shower. So a word to management... Please provide a place for your customers to hang up a towel so it can be reused again. I for one, will not reuse a towel that had to lay on the floor. Housekeeping will be receiving an order for fresh towels!
The beds were comfortable and we were looking forward to a nice sleep, but it started getting cold so we turned up the heat. OH MY GOODNESS! The heater in the room was full of dust and had not been properly maintained. The room started reeking of burned particles and smelled like a nasty vacuum cleaning bag that had not been replaced in a really long time. I took a close look at the heater unit and noticed that there was a piece of carpeting just propped up underneath the heater hiding who knows what. Since I'm not agile enought to get on the floor and have a look, I can only guess what is lurking there besides dust and filth!
So.. Off goes the heater (another fire hazard). Luckily the bed was warm!
Breakfast: Breakfast was actually the highlight of our weekend at Larkspur Landing, but not for the usual reasons. It was very pleasant because they have a gem of an employee named Orlando. He is the guy who replenishes the food at the breakfast bar. I was starting to get annoyed at breakfast because despite the large assortment of items, I was not able to eat the food. The eggs are powdered scrambled eggs, the sausage appeared undercooked, the "french toast" was uncooked and cold, the oatmeal required heating ( it was instant and the hot water provided was not hot enough to cook it) and the muffins are only really snack food, not something that is healthy. A microwave oven would have remedied the problem, but alas, the front desk person pointed out that there was a microwave oven provided in the room. Ever try wheeling a manual wheelchair all the way to your room with a lap full of food on a paper plate? Also juggling a paper cup of coffee? So I had two plates of completely unedible food, uneaten, and a lukewarm container of gluey uncooked oatmeal and I went again to the buffet to figure out what I could eat. Orlando noticed! He asked me what I liked to eat. I told him that I wasn't usually picky, but the oatmeal needed cooking. I wasn't really paying attention to him, but he made me a makeshift table because the eating area has only two tables which were occupied. I explained that the table situation wasn't really the problem ( I was trying to prioritize my needs). Next thing you know he was back at the table with some coffee and two cartons of yogurt. I thanked him very much, and we got to talking. He is a very personable gentleman, and my companion and I enjoyed his company for a few minutes. I had missed the yogurt, the fruit juice and the milk because the buffet is tiny and people were standing in front of the small below the counter refrigeraters.
It is obvious now that with the tiny buffet, the offering of only half cooked food and the fact that there are only two tables to sit at, the breakfast is designed to be taken back to your room to be heated and finished cooking in the ample room kitchens. Unfortunately we did not get that memo when checking into our room yesterday.
Another reason we did not eat in our room was that there was only one chair in the room for two people to sit at the table/desk. I suppose management expects that people who use wheelchairs would eat meals in their chair at the table, but an average wheelchair is designed mainly as transport and is not always a good height, nor is it comfortable enough to use for dining. Many disabled people find it difficult to transfer to other chairs and use their wheelchair for dining, especially in public when it may be embarrassing to do otherwise. But many, many others enjoy sitting at the table with their families sitting in dining room chairs that are the proper height for enjoyable eating. Our hotel room only had one desk/ dining room chair so that means one of us would have had to sit on the bed to eat, or would have to drag the heavy armchair now usable only as a coathanger over to the desk to eat. Come to think of it, that is probably why the armchair was so dirty!
Anyway, we will be leaving in the morning, after an enjoyable breakfast eating next door at the adjacent hotel. I was told they have a restaurant.
So if you are the type of person who does not hang their clothes in the closet, does not mind juggling half cooked breakfast on a paper plate to their room, does not mind having no place to put away their toothbrush in the bathroom ( don't we all put our wet toothbrushes back into our luggage daily?), nor constantly calling the front desk for maintenance issues that competant housekeeping staff should have noticed, then enjoy your stay at Larkspur Landing hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank californiaphyllis
bhutchison, General Manager at Larkspur Landing Milpitas, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to talk to me this week regarding your recent stay with us in Milpitas. We always appreciate constructive feed back which helps us learn from our short comings and improve overall guest satisfaction.
We are in the process of addressing the concerns that we discussed and are using this as a training opportunity with our team.

Thank you again for your input and if I can be of any further service please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards,