“Disappointed that this was a 3 star room in Priceline”

Best Western Plus Brookside Inn
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Best Western Plus in Milpitas after "winning" this "3 star" room for $63 a night through Priceline (my opening bid was $46, and I bidded in $1 increments until this bid was finally accepted.) I've stayed in Milpitas during the same weekend for the past 7 years, and never had to pay more than $50, so I'm not sure why it was so expensive.

I wouldn't consider the Best Western to be a 3 star hotel, and looking at the explanations that Priceline gives for its different star levels, Best Western is used as examples of 2 star and 2.5 stars. I think this property is classified as 3 star because there's an Indian restaurant attached to the hotel. Either way, it was disappointing to be assigned to this hotel, especially for such a high cost -- I'd recommend not bidding 3 stars in Milpitas if you want to avoid my fate!

The hotel itself is typical Best Western. The room was o.k. -- bed was comfortable, flat screen TV, fridge and microwave. The bathroom could have been cleaner -- there was hair in the tub. Also, the shampoo, conditioner and lotion came in the smallest containers I've ever seen -- certainly not worthy of a 3* hotel.

The walls and ceilings were VERY thin, and I could hear the construction worker in the room above walking around in his boots well into the night, and again when his alarm went off at 5 AM (for some reason there were a lot of PG&E workers staying at the hotel -- maybe working on the new stadium nearby?).

The common areas of the hotel have the kind of dark, gloomy feel that I find typical of Best Western. I think they're trying to convey the image of being a business hotel by continuously having CNBC playing in the lobby -- even on weekneds when CNBC airs nothing but informercials. It just shows that they don't really get that they're not a 3* business hotel.

The neighborhood seems a bit bleak and maybe dicey -- low end stores all around.

All in all, although it wasn't a terrible hotel, I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I normally stay at BW because of their reputation I even traveled out of my way to stay here rather than closer to the San Jose Fairgrounds. This was the worst BW I have ever stayed in 1) at check in the clerk said it is one of the nicest rooms in the NEW section. The carpet was so dirty and stained I kept my socks on at all times 2) pet friendly, every time I took my dog out to do his business neither key would not work so I would have to go to the lobby to have it corrected. 3) the first night I tried setting a wake up call, the button did not work then I tried calling the front desk, that button did not work either. When I went to the desk in person the gentleman said calls from the room are expensive I said I am just trying to call you! He said he would come to my room in 5 minutes, never showed so I went back to the lobby, and the again and then again. The second night I also went to the lobby for a wake up call. Fortunately I also had a friend call me for the just in case because the 5:00 wake up call never came through and I would have been late to the dog show...I grew up in a small family owned motel. A room like this would have been an embarrassment and a room in this condition would have never been used for any guest unless it was the last room available and it would have been heavily discounted. I truly cannot believe how many trips I had to make to the lobby because of the phone and key issues and I cannot believe this is considered a PLUS

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights. When I arrived I was checked in quickly and efficiently. The room I was in was smaller than other 3 star hotels that I have stayed in. It had a small refrigerator and microwave which came in handy. There was a big screen tv with a washable remote for those who want to clean any germs away . The two chairs were a little stained, so I didn't sit on them. The bed was nice and comfortable. It had a pillowtop which was very comfy. One thing that was very annoying was a motion sensor light in the bathroom. Each time I got up in the night to use the restroom the light and extremely noisy fan came on. I could do without that. I'm not sure what the purpose for that is.
I was out of the room for the day. When I came back and got ready to take a bath, I noticed that ALL my shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, baby wash, etc was GONE. I went to the front desk and complained. The front desk man and I went to look for my toiletries. Unfortunately, the maid was new and must have thrown all of my things away, I was not very happy, as those toiletries were more expensive brands. All he could do was give me extra hotel toiletries and promise to tell the manager in the morning. I called the manager the next morning, and she said to buy whatever I needed to replace and she would reimburse me. That was a nice gesture.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 February 2013

The hotel is a great location to the San Jose airport. We've stayed here numerous times in the past, and have never encountered any problems with check-in or the stay. The staff has been very accommodating to our requests. Being a Diamond rewards member, I have always been treated with outstanding service, and recognized for being a Diamond member. The room we had during this stay was on the first floor, literally facing the on-ramp to Hwy 880. But, I will say it was very quiet (and I'm a light sleeper), not a lot of traffic noise, we heard the rain more than anything. This trip, I had brought other family members with me, who had paid for their rooms. All were very pleased, with the cost, location and most of all the full breakfast which is included in the price.

The only "cons" to this hotel is the parking lot is very small. If you drive a large SUV as we do, parking is tight, spaces narrow and not many parking spaces on property.

I definitely would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Check in was extremely fast . Parking was very close . Lobby was was clean . Receptionist was very polite . The rooms were quiet and clean . Breakfast was hot , fresh and tasty ! Check out was quick and courteous . I would stay here again ! Thank You ...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2012

i would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone.. and i would definitely not come back here as well!! i have been staying in best western since months now.. its practically home for me! the minute i see a best western tag, i book there and dont even bother searching any further. but this place/stay was a disaster!! absolute disaster! i don't even know where to begin.
day 1: the water doesn't drain down the sink in the washroom
day 2: some guy comes to sort out the drain all the way in the afternoon!! not to mention the amount of noise happening all afternoon because they were doing god alone knows what!!
day 3: the maid messes up the drain again and i had to call the maintenance again for the same problem!! that was still ok, i don't blame the maid because all of us make mistakes and I'm sure she didn't do it purposely! but guess what.. the lady at the front desk blames me and was teaching me how to prevent it from happening again! like seriously? you got maintenance right there.. why can't he just fix it? and why on earth was she teaching me that? and of course, i just couldn't get through the front desk when i called and called for an hour.. i told her that and she says you dial "0"!! really? Excuse me for being dumb that since it wasn't mentioned anywhere that I should dial "0" and of course there is a big button on the phone which clearly reads "FRONT DESK" on it which I kept hitting!!
day 4: the power cuts off, not to mention, in our room only!!!! there was no apology for that!! and of course.. i guess they assume and take it for granted that there are no guests in the hotel during the day because the banging continued all the same!!

honestly, i have NEVER seen this bad service in any of your hotel ever before! with experiences like these, they are definitely ruining your name and fame!! i would prefer staying in my car, which i must say is more comfortable than staying at this place ever again!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Stayed here with my family one night last August after attending a social event. Picked this hotel because it has the best rate among pet friendly hotels in the area. We were assigned a room on the ground floor next to the pool. The room cleanliness proves it is a Best Western Plus; however, when you open the bathroom door it hit the toilet bowl because the bathroom was a little cramped. I wish the hotel would do away with those small amenities (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) which are not good for the environment. Instead, they could install shower gel and lotion dispensers in the shower like what other hotels do. I made my reservation at BW website for 2 adults and one child; however, our son did not want to stay with relatives while we were gone and decided to come along. At breakfast, the staff charged my son $10 (a bit pricey for the kind of breakfast they offer) because our reservation showed only 2 adults and one child.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milpitas
Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose
Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas
Embassy Suites by Hilton Milpitas Silicon Valley
Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley
Hampton Inn Milpitas
Hampton Inn Milpitas
#1 of 20 in Milpitas
Best Western Santa Clara University Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Brookside Inn? Share your experiences!