“Dissappointed”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
San Jose, California, USA
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Our one night stay was a thorough disappointment. Having stayed on previous occasions, we expected to have a pleasant stay. Our room, although spacious, was in need of updates and a good deep clean. The furniture was worn, there was soda (or coffee not sure which) splattered on the bedroom door and the bathroom smelled moldy. The flat screen televisions were on the small side, but at least there where two in the suite. We picked this hotel to enjoy the pool, but it was almost to capacity with small children and the noise level was almost intolerable. Also, the many events and crowds of people at the hotel did nothing to enhance the experience. Breakfast was included with our stay. The food was plentiful with great cooked to order omelets, but the waffles tasted stale. If breakfast is one of the deciding factors in choosing this hotel, it would be just as cost effective to choose a lower cost hotel near a Denny's or Ihop. To be fair, I do give credit to the staff who were friendly and accommodating. When I requested additional towels and a hypoallergenic pillow, room service delivered them promptly. We are locals and stayed the night due to water pipe work being done on our home and thought we'd make a weekend adventure of it. We got an adventure, but not one we hoped for. Our son got a skin rash from the heavily chlorinated pool. Next time we'll pick a hotel near the beach or just stay with family.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sjdavis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 June 2012

One of the BEST shrimp cocktails I have ever had is at the Embassy Suites Milpitas. 5 jumbo shrimp served in a martini glass with cocktail sauce and diced cucumber, tomato and avocado with cilantro. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Also on this stay, from my balcony, it appears they just had a new AC system installed. The first night I was there the room was a bit warm (I was on the 9th floor), but when I returned from work the next day, the room was a chilly 65 degrees and the new unit’s blades were whirling.

I stayed in this hotel once before, a bit over a year ago. When I checked in this time, the front desk person welcomed me back and thanked me from staying with them again. While not a big deal to me, being recognized as a repeat guest is a nice touch. There are many Hilton properties I have stayed in multiple times in a year and even sometimes in a single month and this is the only time I can recall being welcomed back. All of the staff here is great, but that is a standard I expect from a Hilton property.

This property has an attractive exterior, classically huge atrium with trees and coy pond with all floors of rooms wrapping around. 2 elevators at each end of the main atrium level mean wait times are not too bad – there are 9 stories after all.

The rooms are larger than most hotels and most rooms have small balconies. However, the décor and styling in the rooms is dated and ready for renovation. The bed and pillows are comfortable, the couch, chair and office chair are also comfortable and despite appearing dated, do not feel overused.

A few problems: The TV in the living room would not respond to either remote control, but could be turned on and set to desired channel using the buttons on the TV. HBO did not really work at all – tiled image or just completely out and the wireless internet connection was poor and pretty much non-existent in the bedroom. The breakfast buffet, though cooked to order, is very cafeteria style with all hot items (eggs, meat, potatoes) being served by the chef. Also the juice and coffee cups were pretty small. Given my work schedule, I did not bring any of these items to management’s attention, but will when I leave – no hard feelings, just disappointing/annoying.

Considering the location, being a Hilton property and the price point compared to other hotels, I can say for sure that I will be staying here again in a couple of weeks when I return to the area for work.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
NJ
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Embassy Suites were once a completely different travel experience. Larger space, real breakfasts, with some "home-made" choices. This hotel is very pricey, though in a pricey area - Silicon Valley. Nevertheless, the value is not there. Breakfast was like a high-school cafeteria line for omelets/eggs/pancakes. Once you ordered they then confused the orders, so folks were basically agreeing to take eggs orders that were done. Total chaos. Either more people on the grill or some type of system. Gave up on the second and third days of stay and got protein shakes for breakfast. IHOP is next door, maybe they want you to go there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jnjtiger
Walnut, CA
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My family stayed here for 2 nights and enjoyed the free breakfast. However, since the rooms all open to the courtyard of the hotel, it got pretty noisy at night. We were on the 6th or 7th floor and could hear people laughing downstairs. Also, they have an indoor pool and there were wet kids running around wet the hotel. It was not a great stay and we will probably not return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor to drown the noise
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This hotel has suites, that is you get two rooms. So there is plenty of space. You get a complementary breakfast and an evening drink. The breakfast even includes a made to order egg and bacon. There is an indoor swimmingpool. So all in all very good value for the money. Still this is not a hotel with too much atmosphere but a good base if you have meetings in the area, or if you are in the valley on vacation. Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: You might want rooms close to the elevator at the reception, if you have a lot to carry.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, Ca
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I remember when this place was built, it was the most amazing hotel in the area. Now it’s pretty run down. I’ve stayed in a few different rooms and I notice some constancies. In two of the three bathrooms I notice in the area where they store the towels the screws don’t all match, bathroom fans in the bath room are loud, heater didn’t work in any of the rooms, one of the security hinge’s where broken. These are the little things I notice which irked me.

The front desk staff is always friendly but you can not always count on a bellman. All my check outs were at 9 am on Saturday morning but no bellman works at those hours, well that’s what I was told. They did send up a guy from engineering to help with out bags, but he wasn’t the happiest person assisting.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Has all the key requirements for a hotel. Excellent shuttle bus service.

• Stayed March 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milpitas
Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
#4 of 20 in Milpitas
Courtyard Milpitas Silicon Valley

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Milpitas Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!