“Great Staff But Needs Renovations”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Milpitas Silicon Valley
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Los Angeles, California
“Great Staff But Needs Renovations”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I stayed here for two nights this week for business. The hotel has a lot going for it, including:
-Great, courteous staff.
-Ample free parking
-Nice breakfast buffet including made to order eggs
-Clean large room

My biggest complaint is regarding the thermostat. The hotel is on some two pipe system, see my attached photo, and you cannot control the temperature, or even get the fan to circulate the air at times. This made sleeping uncomfortable and I ended up opening the window choosing traffic noise so I could at least cool down . To get the air to circulate you have to find the set point, which was 77 DEGREES!! 77 is pretty warm especially when you get into the room in a suit and tie.

My second complaint is the $9.95 charge for internet. Seriously? I paid almost $150 a night and can't get internet but McDonald's and Starbuck's offer if for free.

I was also put off by my $6.50 Corona at the bar. That is ridiculous but I needed it to quench my thirst after being in the sweltering room.

I go to San Jose on a regular basis and until they renovate I will stay elsewhere. It's too bad because the staff were very nice and most Embassy Suites have modern cooling systems.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 12 February 2013

The stay was horrible, the security treated my family, and I like we were in a jail facility. And especially at the pool area, my family and I have been coming to the Embassy Suites hotel for atleast 10 years. And I have to say I dont no if you guys are under new managment or whats going on but I had the worse time at the hotel and will never be returning ever agin we stayed at the (Embassy Hotel in Milpitas Ca.)

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
EmbSuites, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Milpitas Silicon Valley, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including areas for improvement. I apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and I have taken your comments to our security team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of making all guests feel safe and welcome. This experience is not typical of our hotel and I regret this ruined your stay. I hope that you will be our guest if you have the opportunity to travel to the area again – thank you for your review.
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a few times in the past and I have not seen any positive changes at all! Breakfast and staff are wonderful but why stay here if there are other choices around! I agree with other reviewers about the smells in the room and hallways! The gym is small but finally there is new equipment! Room was clean but carpets were dirty ... I got some gum on my socks and could not figure out where the source was. The last night I stayed, I had more gum on my socks! Pretty disgusting! And I could not control the heat at all! It was so warm I felt like I was in an oven. Lowest temperature setting was 65 degrees. My alarm clock was set to 6 am at 6 pm so when I set the alarm for 6 am, I was not awaken on time. These clogs are controlled so you cannot change the time yourself.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
We always look forward to delivering great service in all areas of our daily operation. We have shared your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance team to ensure the issues you mentioned are address and we will continue to make improvements to our quality assurance processes going forward. We appreciate your review and strive to make every experience enjoyable. We hope you give us another opportunity to make things right.
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights and not all that impressed. The room was a little dirty and I don't consider myself picky. Lots of hair in the bathroom (not mine!). The climate control did not appear to work all that well. I had trouble getting the room cool enough, so I ended up keeping the sliding glass door open all night. That made it noisy and difficult to sleep. The furniture very worn and kind of dirty. The free breakfast was very good. The fitness center bare bones, but equipment new and clean. The hallways seemed dingy and carpet worn/dirty. Overall, it was ok, but probably could find better options elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest suite appearance is an area we are actively examining. The issue of room cleanliness has been addressed with our housekeeping team and we will make every effort to improve in this area. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I used to stay here fairly regularly several years ago, was in the area and decided to try again. Then I read the Tripadvisor reviews and wondered if I had done the right thing ! Needn't have worried.

Anyway, I arrived on a Saturday night, checked in without any issues by a very helpful Laurel.

Noticed a few youngsters as I went to elevator and looked out for the "rules" board mentioned in previous reviews. Sure enough it was there, believe there were a couple of events nearby that had groups staying while I was here (floorball & female ice hockey I think).

I can categorically state that I did not experience any issues with any guests during my 3 nights here. Youngsters & adults I met (breakfast, elevator, corridors) were all friendly and no issues with shouting or running around the hotel.

I was on the 8th (2nd top) floor, suite was mid-way along the floor. Never heard any noise from rooms either side or above/beneath me during my stay. You do hear a little bit of teh sounds from the atrium below when in the living area, but once in your room with the door closed I never heard a thing. Front door opened into a living room, seperate door to bathroom & another to the bedroom. View from bedroom was over towards IHOP/shopping mall and the hills beyond, nice enough.

Room was very clean, i had no issues with quality or age of furniture. TV's in both rooms were good quality with a good range of channels (& NHL was back :-) ).

I ordered room service on my first night (late-ish arrival from a long flight), was delivered very quickly. Quality was good & reasonably priced for hotel room service (a beer, burger & tiramisu).

Breakfast each morning was okay, cooked to order omelette was good but I found the rest of the offerings to be just average.

Managers reception was okay too, barman was very good. Decent enough options drinks-wise but I found that as a solo traveller the seating options were not too good, especially as I could only see one TV in the area.They did serve drinks in plastic cups on the weekend but reverted back to glass on the Monday night.

No issues in getting my boarding cards printed off in the business area, check-out (pre-breakfast, so early) was also dealt with well.

Overall, I'd stay here again, certainly better than some of the hotels I have stayed at in the general area ......

1 Thank AlbertNags
Lafayette, Colorado
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed here for business. The staff was excellent at every encounter. Breakfast and reception staff were great. The reception food was rather silly though - but the drinks were good. The facility, however, needs some help. The carpet was fairly worn and the bath fan wasn't functioning. The room below's fan made a horrible noise in my room - but I could at least close the door to the bedroom and shut it out (as it was on all night). The hotel staff did a great job *trying* to keep a family-oriented convention noise level down - kudos on that.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the corner off the little hallway - no direct exposure to the central courtyar...
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This hotel felt like an average regular hotel when I stayed there. The check in process was okay. (Note: I'm one of those guests who don't really have any issues checking in. The process should be simple - go to front desk, provide id, and credit card for incidentals, sign whatever needs to be signed, and voila.. you're done.)

Fitness Center - I liked the fitness center. There was cold water, free weights, treadmills, and towels. I was disappointed to see unsupervised children in there though. The staff should do a better job monitoring this area because those kids didn't know what they were doing and they could have gotten themselves hurt.

Room - it was spacious like other Embassy Suites but the furniture and appliances were old. It was clean though.

Location - it is located very close to the San Jose Airport (SJC). There are also many restaurants in the area. This is a plus.

Breakfast - like what others have posted, the line was too long. There was just way too many people at the time that I was there. I've stayed at a number of Embassy Suites and this one had the most people in the breakfast buffet line. :(

Manager's Reception - the drinks were simple but the bartender was friendly. I gave him a good tip and he remembered my preferred drink the 3 days that I was there. The beverages were free so don't expect to have a shaken martini or any complex drinks.

Overall, this is an average hotel in a good location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milpitas
Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
#4 of 20 in Milpitas
Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Milpitas Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!