“I enjoyed my stay.”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Pittsburgh, PA
“I enjoyed my stay.”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

My husband and i booked this hotel through Hotwire for a great rate of $57. We just needed a place to stay before meeting friends to travel to Yosemite. The hotel was great. We had a very comfortable room with great beds. We were able to check in around noon which was great because we had just flown in from the east coast and needed a nap. The pool and hot tub area were very lovely with gas tocrched in the evening.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
CA
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We booked this hotel on Priceline for $40 a night.

First, let me say that I am not a "hotel snob" - my family's requirements for a hotel are: clean, comfortable and in a safe neighborhood. In fact, we normally don't frequent 3 1/2 star hotels due to the price (there are 5 of us and booking two rooms is too expensive).

However, we booked the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Priceline - same star rating - at the same price a weekend before that. The Crowne Plaza was a completely different experience.

The hotel is lovely - all other reviewers are right -the beds are comfy and the furniture stylish. The linens are of a lower grade than that of what I thought of as a 3 1/2 star hotel. They were rough - almost like they were air-dried outside like my grandma used to do. The TV doesn't have many stations that weren't ESPN or CCN or FOX news. No big deal to us though, we weren't there to watch TV.

Brandon's is the restaurant on-site. We didn't eat there though, so I can't comment on this.

Here is the thing I find most weird and not up to par, or so I think, for a hotel that is supposed to be rated in this way. The don't give you enough condiments (cream,sugar) for more than one cup of coffee. I went down to the front desk at 7:45am and the front desk lady acted as though I bothered her. Hey, we are all entitled to a bad day, and she wasn't rude to me, so that didn't put me off. She told me that housekeeping wasn't in until 8am so I'd have to wait for my condiments. No problem, I said, and she wrote my name down and promised that they'd bring some up when they arrived. I asked if I could go and get a cup of coffee to go from Brandon's and she replied "No, you can only get it from the room service menu", which was obviously an outrageous price. Well, I never saw my condiments and we checked out and went to get coffee elsewhere.

It may seem silly that the coffee thing put me off, but when I am lucky enough to stay at hotels of this caliber, I've found the service to be much better. Also, one is usually able to go to the hotel restaurant and get a cup of coffee to go instead of them making you order room service.

I know that especially in this economy, you want to get what you pay for. I'm just writing this so that if anyone is thinking of booking this hotel, they'll know what they are paying for. I don't particularly mind the whole coffee thing personally, nor did it anger me, I just thought it weird. Again, just letting people know what they'll be getting for their money. Most people who stay at hotels of this rating or higher, usually expect a level of service not found here.

Just so you know, too, you don't automatically get the breakfast buffet when you book - only certain room types/bookings (i.e. AARP rates, AAA rates) will get you the breakfast. We don't eat a large breakfast so that wasn't an issue for us at all. Just a heads up.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Momto3boysCa
fomayin
Reviewed 21 June 2009

I stayed two nights in this hotel for a business meeting. I booked a two-room "executive suite" through a special promotion that offered a discounted rate, plus free breakfast, plus a free box of chocolates on check-in.

The hotel was reasonably comfortable. The lobby was quite comfortable, I spent some time relaxing in the lobby with my colleagues. The staff at check-in were very accommodating.

The room was in fact a 2-room suite, though the layout was a bit less than ideal (exterior door leads to office, office has a door to the bathroom, then a doorway with no door leading to the bedroom, with a window to outside)

This layout is annoying because the bathroom light is on a motion sensor, and because there is no door, it can "see" you on the bed, if you're on the window-side. Nothing like rolling over in your sleep and then setting off the light which wakes you up fully!

I slept on the other side of the bed, and had no problems.

The room was actually quite comfortable, though it has not been redecorated or renovated in a long time. I had a sofa in the office -- a mustard yellow fabric that looks like something my grandmother used to own.

The bed had plenty of pillows, and was more comfortable than some hotel beds. Not the best I've ever stayed at (I'm not tempted to ask where I can buy their mattress), but it was comfortable and quite acceptable.

When I arrived, I noticed that the phone was damaged, and the air conditioner was not working well (weak airflow, and the air, while cool-ish was not really cool). By the time I returned from dinner, the phone was fixed, and the room was freezing (which I rather liked, actually, though I turned the temp a bit higher. The staff was very helpful in dealing with the problems.

Our box of chocolates never arrived, but I decided that complaining about such things would seem... unnecessarily petty. I didn't mention it to the staff.

The next morning, my colleague and I went down to our free breakfast. The breakfast was reasonable hotel breakfast fare. For a free breakfast, it was pretty good -- omelet, sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, fruit, yogurt, dry cereal, croissant, orange juice, and coffee.

Some other reviewers here raved about the "best breakfast". I can't agree. The breakfast was good. Great for a free breakfast, or just typical for a hotel breakfast that you pay for.

Unfortunately, the staff brought me a bill for the "free" breakfast. I forget the exact amount, but 2 breakfasts totaled about $35, give or take. I asked the restaurant staff about the free breakfast... they called the front desk, and the front desk told him that they had no record of a free breakfast for me. Not wanting to cause trouble, I agreed to pay for the breakfast, charged it to my room, and went to the front desk to settle it up.

The woman at the front desk that morning was quite rude, assuring me that they never give anyone free breakfasts just for staying, and that they had no such promotion. She invited me to prove to her in writing that I had this guarantee.

Well, my form showed the name of the promotional rate that I had been given, but I never thought to print out the "rate rules" sheet from the online booking pop-up that described what the "city preferred" rate included. I was running late for my meeting, so I left the rude lady at the counter and went about my business.

The next morning, when the bill came, the room rate for the second night was $36 higher than negotiated. (The printout by default shows only the first night's rate... the rate for the second night was on the "rate rules" sheet which I didn't print)

The same rude clerk was at the front desk, but I calmly just asked to speak with a manager. The manager came over and took my bill. I don't know if it was the name of the large company on whose account the room was charged, or whether she simply believed my story and thought to do the right thing, but she handed me coupons for free breakfast that morning, and promised that when I was done with breakfast I could come pick up a corrected bill and check out then. I mentioned the box of chocolates that should have been my first clue that something was amiss, but said that I felt it too petty to make a fuss over -- but that the breakfasts and reduced rate were very important, since they were how I justified staying here instead of a lesser hotel nearby, and the company might stick me with the bill if I couldn't get it fixed.

In the end, all was fine. I got everything I was entitled to except the box of chocolates (which I really don't mind), but it was a bit of a hassle. And the one woman is definitely too rude to hold such a critical customer service position.

I would recommend staying at this hotel if you can get a good room rate and a free breakfast. It's moderately comfortable, and most of the staff are nice. It's definitely dated and in need of a remodel, as I said, but I was pretty comfortable.

I do recommend that you get every inclusion in writing, and that you bring a copy of all of it with you. The manager admitted that they have so many different promotional rates going all of the time that they have a very difficult time keeping track of it all. She took care of us in the end, but even the rude clerk would have done it right if I had the detailed paperwork with me.

And if you don't get your box of chocolates, check right away that nothing else is amiss.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank fomayin
NYC
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Stayed here for business, was close to our office.

Pros:
- Big rooms
- HUGE breakfast buffet with bacon, eggs, and an omlette station
- good parking
- wonderful staff, best hotel staff I've ever experienced

Cons:
- rooms are a bit dark, a little tough to put on my makeup in the morning
- not close to many restaurants

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank lisaprosser
Reno, NV
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Every time I stay here (15 days in the past 3 months), I've slept so well! They provide you with 4-6 down pillows and the most comfortable bed. The staff is great, and the gym is sufficient for travel. The hotel was recently renovated, and it shows. I definitely do not complain when I get sent here for work.

As much as I like this hotel, let me advise you...the coffee is GROSS! And, I'm not a coffee snob, but definitely find other places to have a cup!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
los angeles
Reviewed 16 January 2009

They remodeled the hotel recently and improved the beds also. This hotel is a good value. 235 rooms, so not too large. Great Brandon's restaurant is part of hotel. Look for specials.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2008

Picked to stopover here between SF and Big Sur and its close to Great Mall. Unbelievable price when booked via Priceline.

Outlook of hotel was so so, actually reminds me of typical 3-star cosy motel in New Zealand. After I went into the room, I was pleasantly surprised. 4-star room. :)

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milpitas
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
#4 of 20 in Milpitas
Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley
Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas
Embassy Suites by Hilton Milpitas Silicon Valley
HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley
DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose

Been to Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose? Share your experiences!