“Good for weekend stay and small families, but the bed sucks”

TownePlace Suites Milpitas Silicon Valley
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Alright, this place is way better than expected, at least it was for me.
After reading so many reviews here, and being on Yelp for so many years, I've tend not to have Yelp reviews dictate or persuade my decision to book a weekend here for travel.

I know many of you will read Yelp reviews and if its consistently good / bad, then that pretty much will persuade you. I hope after reading my reviews, you will still go to places that you like. Afterall, you go to Chinese restaurants for the food, not the service right?

So I cashed out 20K Marriott points for a weekend stay here. I always have to find a place that has a free breakfast in the morning and preferably no parking fees. Parking was a breeze here, getting in and out during peak hours at the Great Mall, that was not so easy. The best way I found to travel here is to take Montague Expressway, make a uturn, and turn into the small street with the Great Mall sign and it will lead you here. Just don't turn into the first driveway, that's the Courtyard. (I have a story for that hotel many years ago. Let's just say it was a fire alarm at 3am and I accidentally walked in to a strangers room)

Back to the hotel's breakfast. It was pleasantly abundant. Abundant in the sense that everything except for the banana, apples, and oranges were all packaged goods. So the bad thing was, there's not real hot breakfast here. Nor are there any real eating area here. The good thing was, there is a LOT of choices. You have apple juice, orange juice, chocolate/regular/nonfat milk. There's bagels, muffins, lots of choices of cereals and cereal bars, make your own oatmeal, yogurt (only lite). There's also the make your own coffee and hot chocolate 24/7.

Oh, there was a guy who works at the front counter that looked at me like a hawk because I was taking everything. Well, I was taking it for the whole family and let's just say the other Asian family in front of me took more than I did because they each had a few bags to carry. I did feel more at ease when this lady greeted me good morning. I'm not sure if she was the person in charge but she didn't have a name tag.

The internet works okay. I didn't check how fast it was but let's say it was comparable to my 3M download speed I have at home, which is about all I needed. You just have to login every 24 hours to renew the lease.

As for the room, I had to ask for a rollaway bed. The points I redeemed only had 1 bed as it was a studio. I called and asked and some studios do have the foldable beds which I got. The room also had a work table area which is surprisingly big. It is , I would say, the same size as the kitchen area. BTW, the kitchen has pretty much everything you needed. I've been to Townplace Suites many other locations, but this small kitchen has all the plates, utensils, bowls, tupperware, pans, backware. I never used any of it, but it is nice in case you do need to use it for longer stays.

The bathroom is nice, it doesn't have a shower head but the water pressure and the temperature works perfect.

The thermostat works well but is quite confusing as you can get heat and AC from the same unit. It is quite loud.

The bed here is too soft. WAY TOO SOFT. That might be my only big complaint here from getting to a 5 star (in term of overall value)

Oh, there is only 1 elevator here. At least , for the main building with the office I was at. I think the maids also uses the same elevator. I do not see a service elevator anywhere. The maids are quite nice, they do greet you and offer you extra towels if you needed it.

We did ask for towels as we tried swimming. Pool is not heated and it is not clean, at least on a Sunday. Just FYI.

So great place if you want to stay near San Jose/Milpitas. Maybe bring something hard to sleep on. Don't bother going to the Great Mall, way too crowded.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nospace
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Milpitas Silicon Valley

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Supposed to stay for 6wks, but need to transfer to other hotel for better shuttle service and hot breakfast. I tried to stay but work requires flexible shuttle schedules.

Room - perfect for me. It has enough space, kitchen is complete, good enough for longer stays.
Laundry - you're gonna pay for them
Breakfast - you have to understand that Continental Breakfast means no hot breakfast (except the instant noodles that you'll have to prepare yourself).
Accessibility - perfect place, there's a big great mall on the side, with bus and light rail stations.

Side comment: Beware of a mean frontdesk.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Milpitas Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you for your response. We apologize that our Shuttle Schedule did not work for your schedule, and we sincerely apologize that your experience was not up to our Customer Service standards. We would like to further investigate the customer service issues you experienced during your stay. Please contact our Assistant General Manager directly at 408-719-1959. Please refer to this review when contacting us. We look forward to hearing from you.

Guest Relations

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

My husband travels frequently - so we stay at Marriott properties whenever possible. Usually when in Milpitas we stay at the Residence Inn (which is exceptional) unfortunately they had no room this trip. So - Townplace Suites was our option - room was adequate - as previous review mentioned - internet is slow at best. Breakfast is a 'light' continental. Walls are thin - I find it humorous that complimentary earplugs are supplied in the room.

The kitchen is not as well stocked as I expect - being so close to wine country & no wine glasses!

The most disappointing aspect was the length of stay policy - hubby was there for 2 weeks & I had a chance to join him for the weekend. We planned on staying 2 nights in Napa & returning to Milpitas - they were happy to check us out for the Fri/Sat and back in on Sunday - but it meant upping the entire rate by almost double!!!! Unacceptable!

As a previous Marriott employee - I know that empowerment is an important corporate value - I'm sure someone could have done something to accommodate our request.

In the future - Marriott properties will always be our first choice - but when staying in Milpitas - Town Place Suites will be our last!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mountainlizzie
1Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Milpitas Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for your response! We are constantly improving our product and appreciate your feedback on the issues that you have come across during your stay. If you would like to further discuss these issues in more detail, please contact the Assistant General Manager at 408-719-1962 and reference this review. We hope to accommodate you again when you are in the area!

Guest Relations

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Easy check-in and out with prior payment. Great price! We arrived several hours early prior to our check-in and received a room, without any additional payment, OUTSTANDING. Easy connection to the Bart and conveniently located near a mall and the main highways. Nice size parking lot and well maintained as well as the grounds. Nice safe area. The suite was very clean and a nice size including the bathroom. The kitchenette was a nice bonus. Great internet connection and cable television. The bed was comfortable. We chose not to eat the continental breakfast, the area was very small. Would stay again and recommend, once again Great Price.

Room Tip: Call in advance for any special request.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Milpitas Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Thank you for sharing your outstanding stay! We strive to provide the Marriott Experience everyone has come to expect, and it's always great to hear how we have done just that. We invite you to stay with us again during your next trip to Silicon Valley!

Gina Morash

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Usually stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton but tried this place out for a week's stay. Nothing to really complain about but since both these hotels are more or less in the same price range, would rate the Marriott lower.
1. No hot breakfast - only cereals & fruit
2. Only 3 washers/dryers
3. Cramped gym
4. Rooms a bit on the older side but functional
5. Flaky wireless connection
When I got the room, the bathtub stopper was missing - they did fix it but someone should have noticed beforehand.
Not much of a fan, but there were quite a few Indian TV channels plus a cricket channel.
Will stay there again if my usual Homewood Suites is not available.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your response. We are constantly improving our product and appreciate your feedback on the issues you have come across during your stay. We hope to accommodate you again when you are in the area!

Gina Morash

Reviewed 13 December 2012

Stayed 1 night at this place. It comes with 2 bed rooms and a hall but I am only person so feel the unit is very empty. The room rate is not cheap, maybe its a bigger unit.

Its located near to the Great Mall. However, its a very quiet place. which may be good for some people.
The staffs are friendly and l like the self service simple breakfast at the counter.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Milpitas Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you for your review! We have an amazing group of guest service experts that help make your stay a refreshing one. We invite you to stay with again during your next trip to the area!

Reviewed 20 September 2012

Checked in was great and efficient. Room was clean, location was great. It is what I expect from Marriott.Everyone greated me, included the rogue cat that walks around the property. I would return given another opportunity.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple