“Room type reserved not honored due to overbooking”

Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hotel is nice and clean. Housekeeping staff were very friendly. It was also in a good location - close to restaurants and coffee shops; and right off the freeway. The only worst thing was our arrival and departure experience. We drove almost 5 hours and arrived at midnight, very tired. When we checked in, we were told by the front desk that we were one of the 5 unfortunate guests that were assigned a 1 king bed instead of the 2 beds room that we reserved. We were a family of 4 and a baby. Although disappointed, I tried to understand, as I am also a hotelier. Things happen but could've been prevented. Their explanation was that they had to upgrade Diamond members. I asked for a lot of a rollaway bed and a crib but they don't have any anymore. I asked for a lot of blankets so we can sleep on the floor but only got 2. We woke up with a sore back and the baby had to sleep uncomfortably. I asked to be moved the next day but it happened at almost 3pm because wasn't ready so our whole morning plans were all ruined because we had to wait to move all our stuff. At checkout, we didn't get an apology nor we were asked how our stay was. The front desk greeting was 'Did you get your receipt?' When I said 'yes' she said 'ok'. What I great farewell after all the inconvenience we have encountered.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank GM_GMGolda

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The room was clean and reasonably sized for the price. however, the bed was a bit worn. When I got up the indentations on both my husband's and my side where visible. Beds are not something a Hilton should be skimping on. the staff was friendly and professional. Our reservation did not include the breakfast, which was pricey. We drove (but could have walked) down the street to Starbucks instead. We were only here for one night, so it didn't make a difference to us, but when we checked Yelp, few restaurants came up; however, when we drove around we found a lot more variety.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The hotel was very easy to find off the freeway. The lobby was modern and there were a selection of complimentary beverages available upon arrival. The front desk staff was very friendly. We enjoyed the pool, which was clean and had plenty of seating around it. The bar was reasonably priced. The room itself was spacious and clean. The bed was comfy. There is a breakfast buffet in the morning that we tried, not too great. The staff was very attentive but the food was not too good, omelet was maybe the worst I've had and the potatoes were not edible (even with ketchup), bacon was borderline burnt and pancakes rubbery. I suggest finding a local place that is likely to serve a better meal for a similar price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sassybratt
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times already. This hotel is located in Milpitas, just by the 237 freeway, very close to several hi-tech companies in the Silicon Valley and that's very convenient.

They recently renewed the main lobby and other common areas of the hotel and apparently upgraded mattresses, an important feature for business travelers. However, the rooms look like the same from several years ago when I first stayed at the hotel.

Breakfast is very good in terms of variety and quality, but the breakfast area is small and gets very busy so you may end up waiting a little bit for a seat or for the replacement of some of the food in the buffet. They also have a restaurant that serves dinner with a simple but good menu.

The staff is also very nice and helpful and they have a transportation service to pick-up you at the San Jose International airport.

Finally, I was very happy with my stay and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms by the front side of the hotel and far form the elevator as they are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Emerson M
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our room was an average hotel room and adequate for a 2 night stay. There was a musty/mildew smell when we walked into our room. The hallways as well as our room smelled of over-used air freshener. The hotel front desk staff was polite and helpful. When we couldn't print our boarding passes in the business center (computer was not working properly) they printed them for us at the front desk.

The second day we returned to our room at 4:30 and it was not made up. I called the front desk and they said someone would be right up. After a 1/2 hour I called again and told them to just give us fresh towels which took another 20 minutes.

Our package included breakfast. You can order a number of choices including omelets, eggs, waffles or other hot items which are made to order. In addition there is fresh fruit and breads. Both mornings it took a very long time to get our order. The server apologized many times. Don't eat at the hotel unless you have plenty of time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Evelyn B, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear H S,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate knowing our failures to our guests so that we can grow as a hotel and team. I am very sorry to hear that you had these unfortunate delays in service. We have very recently added more staff to our different departments, housekeeping and our restaurant, and any delays experienced should be taken care of from here on out. I encourage you to call the hotel, as I would love to have you back on me, in order to show our improved service.

Warmest regards,

Evelyn Blessing
Guest Relations

Reviewed 27 July 2013

The Hotel is good, however the no of staff for this time when it was running full was inadequate. Also the doors of each room were scratched and gave a feeling of an old place. The breakfast menu needs individual pricing and also needs staff who is attentive to the needs and do not forget orders.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This facility is exceptionally nice. We will definitely stay again next trip. The lobby appearance is very cozy, specially the conference table on the side. Restaurant has pleasant atmosphere and a good place to dine.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milpitas
Hampton Inn Milpitas
Larkspur Landing Milpitas
Larkspur Landing Milpitas
#11 of 20 in Milpitas
Courtyard Milpitas Silicon Valley

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas? Share your experiences!