“Great front desk staff; housekeeping uneven”

Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Cary, North Carolina
“Great front desk staff; housekeeping uneven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I recently stayed here for 9 nights during a business trip. First off, I'd like to say that the front desk staff here are fantastic. They immediately responded to a couple of technical issues in my room, and when they got wind that I was missing my wedding anniversary, they sent a bottle of wine to my room. And they are all very warm and welcoming.

I was in a room on the 4th floor close to the elevators. It was a handicapped-accessible room (which I didn't need) so the bathroom was extra roomy. The room was comfortable (especially the bed) and there were plenty of available outlets for plugging in my various electronics. I managed to get a lot of work done sitting at the desk, which had a great, ergonomic office chair.

Especially appreciated amenities were free wi-fi (though a bit slow), free in-room coffee (Keurig coffee maker), fridge and microwave. And the guest laundry was a god-send.

I only had breakfast there once as I thought it was ridiculously expensive, and, frankly, not all that great.

Some of my stay fell over a weekend, and on Saturday, housekeeping never touched my room. Granted, I wasn't feeling well and had the "do not disturb" sign up for a while, so I let it go. But the same thing happened on Sunday, when I gave them ample opportunity to clean the room. Finally, that evening, someone knocked on my door and asked if I needed anything. Additionally, the Monday crew that cleaned my room left a bottle of glass cleaner on the desk and didn't replace any washcloths or any of the amenities in the bathroom. I found it all a little strange, as there were no issues on any other day.

All in all, this is a great business hotel. Excellent location near the Cisco campus, really good amenities. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Its a bit low side for Hilton brand of hotels i stayed earlier. Its good value for money though. Breakfast and dinner quality needs a lot of improvements. reception staff is quite courteous compared to the bar and breakfast staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Menlo park, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I enjoyed staying this hotel so much without paying too much. Very clean and friendly staffs made me feel so welcomed during my stay. There are nice restaurants and nice stores near this hotel,so it was nice I could walk to restaurants and go shopping.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed overnight at the Hilton Garden Inn, Milpitas on my return trip home. Picked the hotel because of its airport shuttle. I called around 4:00 p.m. to inform them I would arrive late, around 11. Was told that was still ok and there would be "no additional late arrival fee". First I heard of such a fee. I didn't ask when this "fee" kicked in but I'm glad I didn't arrive later!

Registration was good, friendly, quick. Booked a shuttle to the airport for the next morning when I registered and left for the room. Room was about what I expected - clean, very comfortable bed, good table, functioning wireless etc. Good experience so far...

Was surprised then to find a dirty bathtub. It might possibly have been rinsed with the shower head but certainly had not seen a scrub brush for days. Dirty slime rubbed off on my finger. I used water shoes for my shower.

Next morning, had excellent service for breakfast. Well done. Expensive but on par for hotel prices - $18 for two fried eggs, toast and coffee. On checkout, I was informed that my airport shuttle had been cancelled??? The clerk didn't know why. Fortunately, he took me to the airport anyway.

My previous experiences with Hilton Garden Inn's have been good and I am a Hilton Honors Club member. This is the first Hilton Garden Inn I have experienced that did not live up to the name. Overall it was ok but for the price, I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Confirm and reconfirm shuttle if you need it. Take your own bathtub cleaner! Housekeeping is not u...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel is fine. It has everything you need for your business stay in Milpitas. The room was always clean and the bed was really comfortable.
The breakfast can be better, but it was ok.
The people from the front desktop were awesome, very gently.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Nevada City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We decided to stay at this hotel because it cost quite a bit less than the one we normally stay at and was only about 8 miles additional driving involved. It is on the edge of a big shopping center and at the intersection of Highways 80 and 237. It is close to San Jose, Milpitias and Fremont in the East Bay and Silicon Valley on the Peninsula. We did experience one problem and it was immediately and they took care of it immediately once we let them know. Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

tipp city, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

this hotel offered excellent service by the staff...they were very attentive and made the check in process easy and very helpful...great location of hotel..this seemed to be an older hotel that had been refurbished but done well. the lobby is very pretty and the rooms are comfortable and clean... the beds slept very well and again the staff were super helpful!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family