“Comfortable and luxurious--good value”

Ayres Suites Mission Viejo
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mission Viejo
GreenLeadersGold level
Boulder, co
“Comfortable and luxurious--good value”
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Stayed in the newer spa building. The room was roomy, nicely decorated, comfortable and clean with luxurious touches. The staff was friendly and professional. The breakfast was above expectations even though we didn't realize until too late that you could request a custom-made omelet directly from the cheerful chef. As noted in other reviews, the heating unit under the window was noisy and a little challenging to operate. We turned it off overnight and asked for additional blankets (we arrived in a cool spell of weather.)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Reviewed 14 December 2009

We stayed at the Ayres, Mission Viejo last week while our house was being remodeled. The staff was so friendly and the amenities were plentiful. The room was big with a micro wave, and fridge. The hot breakfast was great and we were surprised there was even a light dinner Mon- Thur. The room was comfortable and clean too. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathyh80567
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We stayed over for a local wedding, our party had booked almost every room. Rooms were very comfortable, clean and large. Service was very basic, as you expect from this style of property. The small number of staff we met were very friendly yet professional. If you need full service, they have another non-suite style property almost next door.
Can't comment on value as we had a group deal.
I'd certainly go back.

• Stayed October 2009
Austin
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I stayed at the Ayres on two occasions recently for long weekends with my kids. The staff is friendly and attentive. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The rooms are spacious and gave everyone the opportunity to spread out. The complimentary breakfast was nothing special and we opted to eat elsewhere a couple mornings. Our first room faced west and I could make out the Pacific Ocean in the distance on a clear day. The view was definitely a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
san francisco
Reviewed 29 March 2009

The air conditioner is a radiator-like looking thing under the window. It does not do a good job of cooling the room. When it's on, it's okay, when it automatically stops, you get hot. There are two settings, low and high, we used high. It's noisy when it starts up again during the night, it's loud enough to disturb your sleep. The window opens about four inches, which we needed because the room smelled of old cigarette smoke, but the freeway noise was audible. Especially since there was something on the freeway that rattled as the cars went over it.
The bathroom sink is open to the room. There is no door, no separate room for the bathroom sink. It's been removed from the toilet/shower room, and placed in the bedroom. If you want to sleep while your spouse is using a hair dryer, electric shaver, etc., good luck. The sink counter is high, which is good, and the sink bowl is deep, which is good. No water spraying all over the counter.
The part of the bathroom that has a door contains the toilet and the tub/shower. The toilet flushes loudly enough to wake up a light sleeper. The light is very dim. The shower flow is adequate. If you like a strong spray, you won't get it. You get one teeny bottle of shampoo. It is very difficult to squeeze the shampoo out of this thing. If you have carpal tunnel syndrome, bring a vice and a wrench.
Even though this is a 'green' hotel, you get very smelly little soaps. If you have allergies to fragrances, bring your own.
The bed, blankets and pillows were good. Cleanliness was good. There was a small, square (not one of the rectangular ones) refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. The lighting in the room is good. There is a ceiling fan with lights.
If you want someone to bring something to your room, or come to your room to help you with something, you will be told, "I'm the only one here, I have no one to send." Not only were we told that twice, but our friend in a room near ours was told the same thing.
There is no shuttle to the airport, they'll call you a cab (fifty dollars). The cab may or may not show up on time. We were told that cab drivers "don't like to come up here." This hotel is out of the way, not convenient to most things, including, apparently, cab drivers.
The breakfast consists of a serve-yourself cereal bar, with Special K, Raisin Bran and Froot Loops. There is a juice dispenser, (juice is weird-tasting, but that's typical) coffee, various teas (nice selection), scrambled eggs (better than most) bacon (tasteless but not fatty) pancakes (pretty good) and sausage (okay).
The hallways are long, almost Shining-like, and full of oil paintings of sheep. They seem to be aiming for a creepy feel, as opposed to a Southern California feel. Which is understandable, who's into Southern California?
The pool is small but nice.
The Jacuzzi tub is just a tub with jets. The same one everybody stands in to take a shower. Do you really want to sit in that?
I found the "I'm the only one here" reply from the front desk odd. Really? In the whole hotel? The front desk person will also be completely unfamiliar (or pretend to be) with the website. If you call before your visit with questions about prices on the website they will claim to know nothing about it. I was even told the price sounded wrong. Then you get there and notice a computer right next to the front desk open to The Ayres website.
You can use that computer to print out your boarding pass or whatever. That was convenient.
On Saturday I told the "I'm the only one here" Front Desk person that I was leaving early the next morning for the airport and needed a cab. She called the one she felt was most reliable and made an appointment for me to be picked up at the hotel. I told her we were not all checking out, my family would be checking out later in the day. I packed the night before and arranged everything so that I could leave quietly the next morning and not wake up my family, who had all been up very late. Just as I was picking up my bag to go to the lobby at 7:30 am, the room phone rang, waking my family up. It was the "I'm the only one here" Front Desk person, telling me my taxi was here. I was surprised she would call when I hadn't asked her to. I wasn't late for the cab. When I told her that she had woken up my family, she kept shrieking, "How was I supposed to know? How was I supposed to know?" Well, let's break it down. I told you my family was not checking out. It's Sunday at 7:30 am, and the phone is in a bedroom in a hotel. My family is in the bedroom. Hmm...good chance they may be sleeping. You weren't asked to call. I think that's how you're supposed to know.
I wouldn't stay here again mainly because of the noisy and inadequate air conditioner (two nights of little sleep) and the location.

Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank cuckoocarlotta
Arlington, MA
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I spent two weekend nights at Ayres Suites. The king room was large, with a sofa, desk, microwave, and small frig. It was spotlessly clean and the bed was comfortable. Because of the construction, I asked for and got a room on the opposite side of the hotel. The breakfast staff person was very friendly, and the food selection was good, particularly the fresh fruit. The desk staff was remarkably patient with my repeated requests for information, and they offered to print out directions for the various places I was visiting while in town. The rates, obtained through an online service, were terrific. The pool was too cold to use, but the jacuzzi was perfect.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 June 2005

This hotel has a beautiful lobby and comfortable, spacious rooms, but the service is not so great. My fiance and I interacted with four different people at the front desk during our stay, and two of them were snobby and rude, and one of them even lied to us. The other two were professional and courteous.

I really liked the room, which had a king-sized bed and feather pillows, tv, microwave, refrigerator, and jacuzzi tub. The walls and windows were very good at blocking at sound, but we were close to the elevator, and the doors let in a lot of hallway traffic noise. The hotel is "eco-conscious" so all electricity is controlled by putting the room key into a slot in the wall. It was a little inconvenient, since we originally only asked for one key, and that meant that one person couldn't leave and take the key, otherwise the other wouldn't have any lights. This also means that the room was stuffy after we'd been gone all day, with no air circulating. In addition, the bedside table lamps used extremely low wattage, flourescent energy saver bulbs, resulting in a dim, ugly light which made night-time reading virtually impossible.

The housekeeper knocked on our door even though we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign out, and then removed our soap and shampoo from the tub and did not replace them! Imagine our surprise the next morning while in the shower...

Internet access is an extra $6 a day. For a $200/night room, I think internet should be free. There were also some issues regarding billing, which means I will need to monitor my card for the next cycle to make sure everything was charged correctly.

The hotel is well decorated and nicer than an average hotel. I would give it 4 stars. But the service and experience we had were so poor, I would give it 1.5 stars, for an average of about 3 stars.

• Stayed June 2005
Laguna Hills Lodge
#1 of 4 in Laguna Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Irvine East / Lake Forest
Courtyard Foothill Ranch Irvine East/Lake Forest

Been to Ayres Suites Mission Viejo? Share your experiences!