“Partying Wrecked Our Stay”

Best Western Town House Lodge
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Partying Wrecked Our Stay”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I'd have given this motel four stars but for the ruined night's sleep caused by several groups of young people who partied in rooms above ours. Our two rooms in the back part of the motel were clean and comfortable, and should have been quiet. The motel's location in downtown Modesto was convenient to Hwy. 99 and near several nice pubs and restaurants. But geez Louise, when you know you have to drive hundreds of miles the next day, it's miserable to wake to the sounds of stomping feet, loud music, yelling, and bottles clinking. After an hour of trying to sleep I called the front office to complain, but nobody answered the phone. However, someone must have told the obnoxious people to pipe down because it did suddenly get quiet. The next morning the person in the office acknowledged that I wasn't the only person unhappy about the noise, and said they planned to have a chat with the offenders (who were staying a second night, argghh). I'd be willing to try this motel again; however, I'd ask for a second floor room. The price was great (and they honored the price listed in Trip Advisor), owners/managers friendly, and overall the motel was satisfactory.

Room Tip: The higher, the better--and ask about the management's policies regarding late-night partying.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
BWMODESTO, Front Office Manager at Best Western Town House Lodge, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Mr. Nansfield,
I apologize for the ruckus that you experienced throughout the night. The surrounding restaurants and pubs tend to get a bit rowdy, which usually results in rowdy guests. We are in the process of re-flooring the upstairs rooms and we hope this will minimize the squeaking/stomping from above. Fortunately, the property is small enough for us to acknowledge our noisy guests and have them adhere to the quiet hours, which are after 10pm. We do appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention, and we hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Carolina Nava
Front Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 6 November 2012

As many of the other reviews have stated, this place is probably just fine for a one or two night stop-over on your way to somewhere else. Odds are if you are reading this review that is most likely what you will be doing, so I fully recommend this property in that regard. However if, like me, you are unfortunate enough to actually have spend three weeks in Modesto, CA, I’d look elsewhere. This is by no means a bad hotel; it is fairly clean, well maintained, the staff is friendly and helpful, and it’s conveniently located a short drive from HWY 99 (which will get you out of Modesto – hallelujah). The problems with this place stem mostly from the fact that they seem utterly unprepared for a guest who stays longer than a day or two. I certainly did not need housekeeping every day, but when I did let them in (every three days or so), they seemed more and more at ease with not doing much of anything. My sheets weren’t changed, no new toilet paper, no new coffee, etc. Small details in the grand scheme (well except for the sheet thing, that was a little gross), but it certainly grew tiresome after a while. Additional irks included the squeaky floor in the room above me, the fact that the continental breakfast, while decent, NEVER changed, and random and unannounced power washing of windows. All in all, I’d stay here again, but not for more than a day or two.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
BWMODESTO, Front Office Manager at Best Western Town House Lodge, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
On behalf of the entire staff, we apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

We have just recently hired new housekeepers that are still getting used to the regular procedures of servicing rooms that are rented for long periods of time. We have addressed this issue to the entire staff, and will make sure that it does not happen again.

We are also in the process of getting our ceilings and floors re-done in the building where the guest had encountered squeaking from the floor above.

Again, thank you for taking the time to fill out this survey. Your satisfaction is important to us
and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for you, and our future guests.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I booked this motel on line and was not disappointed as a stop over after Yosemite before heading to San Francisco.Rooms are well appointed with a microwave and fridge.it is in a quiet location with nice restaurants close by. Breakfast included in the price. Would recommend to others as is good value.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the back for increased privacy and quietness
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julie5161
BWMODESTO, Front Office Manager at Best Western Town House Lodge, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
On behalf of the entire team here at Best Western, thank you for your response. We hope you decide to stay with us in the future, as we've made several upgrades to our rooms and amenities.
Madera, California
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stay at Best Western when I travel because I know what to expect. For me, I need a refrigerator/microwave, high speed internet, coffee, and most of all, I need a bathtub. Best Western always has clean and well appointed rooms - so I stay at BW since they meet my needs. The Town House Lodge is a beautiful place in a great location for downtowners. The room I had was so perfect for me and the best room I have had thus far, but there is no bathtub. They have a very small shower only. I was terribly disappointed and explained this to the front desk gentleman. He made a reservation for me with the BW in Manteca. So I left this wonderful hotel very sad because I wanted to stay there. For me - no bathtub - no stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank oakca36
Thank you so much for being loyal to the Best Western brand. We're sorry that we weren't able to accommodate you due to not having bathtubs in our rooms. I am glad that we were able to refer you to our sister property, however. We hope that we can do business with you sometime in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in this motel and found it to be very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very satisfying, and the staff were very helpful. The location is ideal for visiting Modesto by car or on foot. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: You might want to stay on the first floor if you want to avoid stairs. The second floor has a very n...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dmkeatings
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We researched where to stay in Modesto here on Tripadvisor and we were glad we did! Friends had recommended other hotels around that were far more expensive (but didn't have good reviews on here). This motel was updated- the room was nice and clean. I really liked the fact it had an area with a refrigerator and microwave as I was traveling with a newborn baby. The location of this motel was great, as well- right in the down town area with lots of restaurants and even historical sights around. The room was quiet. My only complaint was that the bedspread and one decorative pillow had small stains on them. The pillows were overstuffed and very small and hard to sleep with. The breakfast in the morning (free) was impressive, too- I had a sausage egg mcmuffin. There was fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, fresh waffles... a lot of variety!! There was a friendly breakfast attendant, as well that kept the food stocked and area immaculately clean. I was very impressed with the bang for my buck I got at this motel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This was a one night stay on our way from Yosemite to SF. Surprisingly, it was a nice place to stay, clean comfortable bed, bathroom are nice. The complimentary continental breakfast was nice too. It was your standard cereal, coffee, oatmeal, yogurt, juice, but this had a waffle machine so you can make it fresh and hot and also offered sausage and eggs. So the breakfast turns out to be very nice. The breakfast space was big so could accommodate a large group. Free wifi. Overall, I enjoy my stay here. I would come back again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends