“THREE stars? What kind of witchcraft is happening here, TA?”

Clarion Inn Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Seriously, in no world is this a three star hotel.

I visited the Clarion with a school group late in April. Let me begin by saying that I did not choose this hotel, the school did. I, the good online reviewer and travel pro that I am, looked up all of our hotel options well ahead of time, but the actually booking was out of my hands. Which is why we, and several other folks from our school district, ended up camped out at the cheapest-- and most poorly reviewed-- hotel of the bunch: The Clarion. Now, I was truly hoping that the reviews were wrong, but as these things tend to shake out, the reviews were dead on. . . if not critical enough.

Where to start?

Look, this place is dilapidated. Like, roadside motel in the middle of the desert that you only stay at because your car broke down and you were out of options dilapidated. I seriously have no idea where the good reviews of this place are coming from, but I truly weep for those of you that think this is a 4+ star hotel. I've been all over the world, I've stayed at hotels and motels in developing countries that don't even have glass in their windows. . . and those places were still cleaner the Clarion in Modesto. Give that a little thought for a moment and realize the horror that spread across my face as I walked into the room I was going to have to sleep in for four nights.

What was so bad about it? Thanks for asking. First thing's first: the hallways and the rooms all smell like mildew. One of my students commented that their room smelled like old Ugg boots and I think that was a pretty dead on descriptor. The whole place just reeks of decay and not just in that old hotel way. Like, I legitimately would not be surprised if this place had a very serious mold problem. And before you think I'm just being some primadonna who is whining about a light smell, please know that this is a smell so overwhelming that you can't ignore it. It hits you the moment you walk in the building and it just sticks to you.

My bathroom shower was covered in some sort of black, gritty. . . I don't want to say dust because it didn't really seem dusty (it was way coarser), but . . . yeah, it was all over the tub. While the eye level grout had been wiped down, the grout behind the toilets and in corners were caked with yellow mold. I suspect that's a mix of bodily fluids and actual mold, but I can't verify one way or another.

The sheets on my bed were stained. Clearly they had been washed and these were the kinds of stains that just won't relent, but yeah, stained sheets. The comforter was a dark green which, as a regular hotel guest, instantly makes me super suspicious. Call me uppity, but I like my hotels to have white linens so I can see that they are clean.

The ceiling looked like it had recently been repaired in some way, because there was a big bright white spot. . . which only served to display how dingy the rest of the yellowed paint was.

The TV only worked about half the time. Part of the time, the sound would go out. The other part of the time, the picture would turn fuzzy and blue. They had a decent amount of channels though (credit where credit's due).

When I turned on the AC or heat, the room filled with the smell of burning dust/ hair. It was pretty vile.

The wifi was effectively useless, but I suspect this had more to do with the hotel being packed for the first time in forever and the wifi being over burdened.

Oh, and a friendly tip: a large number of the rooms open directly to the parking lot and not to a hallway. While this might be a selling point for some folks, I was responsible for a large group of teenagers, so that added a fun level of excitement to my weekend.

I definitely will not be back. You also should stay far, far away. Don't listen to any of this nonsense from other reviewers saying it's "Not that bad." There are far nicer hotels in his same price range.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else all together.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ThisPlceHsEverything
Hotel_Hotel1, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Diosa, B.,

I'm writing to follow up regarding your recent stay at our hotel, and to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention in regards to our housekeeping efforts. As a older hotel, we have to strive each and everyday to make sure that our guests are satisfied and in your situation it seems that this was not the case. Since I am unaware of which room number you were in because your concerns were not brought directly to my attention, I have been unable to remedy your concerns with your bathroom but I have discussed everything with my housekeeping manager to ensure this does not happen to a guest in the future. It is unfortunate that you are unwilling to give our facility another try, however, if you are in the area again, please reach out to someone in management directly so we can do our best to make sure you receive the very best in accommodations. Since your stay, renovations have begun and there has been new carpeting placed in the rooms, new painting as well as new furniture in our Double Rooms.

Again, we appreciate your bringing these matters to our attention so that we can improve the services we offer our guests. I hope in the future you will allow us to serve your lodging needs.

Jocelyn Venable, Sales Manager

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Worst hotel ever....the renovations look like they just slapped up some paint. Worst service ever. The employees are rude especially the housekeepers and the management to include the owner act like they just don't care as long as they get paid. Stay away from here.

• Stayed: April 2014
Hotel_Hotel1, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the renovations that we have begun on our hotel. I invite you to come back and see the changes we have made once they are complete. I have also discussed the attitude of our staff and the management team here joins me in offering a sincere apology for any behavior you found displeasing. Please be assured a poor attitude by any of our staff members will not be tolerated at our hotel. I hope that you will give us another chance, please contact someone from management directly on your next visit to ensure the best accommodations.

Again, that you for your review.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Original room assigned smelled of mould and did not look anything like the picture. No tub. Desk was a weird 4-legged table. I got a (reluctant) replacement at an upcharge and left for the day. Returning at midnight after a rainstorm, I found that the ceiling was falling in quite literally. There was plaster all over the floor, a huge wet carpet patch (probably 5 feet in diameter?) and the sound of very loud dripping. Unihabitable. Like an episode of a nightmare hotel from a movie. Printer didn't work. Got a refund and checked into another hotel. Look elsewhere, there are dampness problems here.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Hotel_Hotel1, Manager at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to complete an online review. I apologize of behalf of our entire team for failing to exceed your expectations. We take comments and suggestions seriously and will be using your to make changes, so the next guest does not have the same experience as you did. Again, thank you and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed there for one night. The place was packed on a Friday night with people dancing at the bar. we got a room on the other side so it wasn't too noisy. The air conditioning is noisy but once its off its all fine. Overall a good place to stay when needed but nothing fancy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mountaingen
Hotel_Hotel1, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to complete an online review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Your feedback is important to us and we be sharing your review with the rest our staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

adjoining rooms displaced family, had house fire, 2 big dogs,special needs child. spent almost 3 weeks there my childs bus picked him up and dropped him off, upon check in the clerk spoke to my son and i, i asked the route which would be best suitable to bring my 2 dogs in, and informed the man we were still expecting my brother as he agreed to help during our stay with the dogs as well as supervising my son so he wouldnt be alone in his room. the put us by the bar, hard for a 9 year old to sleep. when we finallly decided we needed to move in the best intrest of my child, i have never been so confused nor disgusted with the behavior of someone in a public customer service line of work.apparently quiet clean paying guests arent very favorable to the staff there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jayme F

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to complete an online review. I am sorry to learn that you were dissatisfied with your stay. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we will be using your comments and suggestion to make changes. I apologize on behalf of our entire team for not meeting your expectations. Again, thank you and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed at the Clarion Hotel i liked it there everyone was very nice and they had a inside pool which was perfect for my daughter because she could swim at night. There was only one thing that i did not care about was when i was going to watch TV they did not have my spanish channel and that disappointed me since i wanted to relax and watch univision and could not so i was not happy about that i could not watch my spanish channel other then that it was nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel_Hotel1, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking time to complete an online review. Your feedback is very important to us and we will be using your suggestions to make changes. Again, thank you for your recent stay and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I actually like this hotel, but the way the manager talked to me was outrageous! I stay at hotels several times a month, and was told it would be ok to have visitors before 8pm. I was then told my dad and brothers need to leave as they were already leaving and the manager said he didn't want dirty Mexicans outside his hotel. Well, sir, they were leaving and that's my dad bringing me pizza, not a dirty Mexican. Hard working man. Talking to corporate about this horrible service!! I have never in my life had this problem. I am not a young trouble maker. There was even a broken dresser in my room and no one came to fix it. This is not how you get business, by being racist or rude. I hope this manager doesn't talk to his staff like this, wondering if this is why they have such a high turn over rate.

• Stayed: April 2014