“this hotel is awsome”

Clarion Inn Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were on a journey through California and stop at this hotel for 1 night. We arrived early and our room was ready and was able to check in early. The staff was very friendly and helpful with information that we needed to our next journey. Kinda Sucked that we could not stay for another night it wouldn've been nice but had to move on. This hotel is very clean and has everything you need if you do not want to leave the hotel. The resturant and the bar right in the hotel is very nice if someone does not want to go out anywhere but wants to unwind. Oh Yea and the continental breakfast is not like a continental breakfast it actually has hot food such as scramble eggs and all the good stuff. The indoor pool is awsome for the hole family it has the pool and the game room for the kids all together. So if you visit Modesto Ca this is the place to stay trust me!!!

Sincerley,
Kenneth Johnson and Shannon Heiple
Akron, Ohio

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kenneth d j
Hotel_Hotel1, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

It is great to hear that you had such an awesome time at our facility. It is only through the eyes of guests like yourself that make the job well worth it. Your willingness to share your recent experience is greatly appreciated. Thank you for completing our review and I hope that you come to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The people who work here were kind and as helpful as they could be. However, I would never stay here again and completely agree with the other reviewers that this is not anywhere near a 3 star hotel. There is a general state of disrepair here that is just kind of depressing. The air conditioner in my first room was broken. I was moved to an upstairs room; however, there is no elevator! Then, in the second room, the fridge was broken...and there was no microwave. There is no full length mirror in the room. The hallways and common spaces have no air conditioning. This place is oppressive and dirty; I will make sure that my assistant never books a room here again for my staff.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, the rooms upstairs are in better condition. Call in advance to ensure that y...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank californianurse

Thank you for recognizing the efforts put forth by our staff during your recent visit to our facility. Please accept my sincere apology for the issues involving your broken air conditioner and broken fridge. As you may or may not know, our facility is going through a remodel and I hope that you will be willing to give us another try in the future. if so, please call the hotel directly and ask to speak with a manager so that I can personally make sure you are placed in a sleeping room which suit your needs best.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stood at the clarion beginning of May and let me tell you although I was in town for my fathers funeral I felt greatly satisfied from the front desk agent sarha she provided great customer service. I also want to thank dawn and Andrea for being such a help. My bed was comfortable although there were a few things I did not like about my room my tv kept cutting out, the a/c kept keeping me up all night with the noise. Other than that i was satisfied with the staff.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Gabysssss
Hotel_Hotel1, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete an online review. I am glad to hear that our staff treated you well and they were able to make your stay a satisfiying one. I am sorry to learn the our tv cut in and out and the air conditioner noise kept you up all night. We will use your feedback to make imporvements so this does not happen again in future. We hope to see you soon again and please feel free to contact me directly for reservations.

Shanelle Remesal
(209) 521-1612

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Seriously, in no world is this a three star hotel.

I visited the Clarion with a school group late in April. Let me begin by saying that I did not choose this hotel, the school did. I, the good online reviewer and travel pro that I am, looked up all of our hotel options well ahead of time, but the actually booking was out of my hands. Which is why we, and several other folks from our school district, ended up camped out at the cheapest-- and most poorly reviewed-- hotel of the bunch: The Clarion. Now, I was truly hoping that the reviews were wrong, but as these things tend to shake out, the reviews were dead on. . . if not critical enough.

Where to start?

Look, this place is dilapidated. Like, roadside motel in the middle of the desert that you only stay at because your car broke down and you were out of options dilapidated. I seriously have no idea where the good reviews of this place are coming from, but I truly weep for those of you that think this is a 4+ star hotel. I've been all over the world, I've stayed at hotels and motels in developing countries that don't even have glass in their windows. . . and those places were still cleaner the Clarion in Modesto. Give that a little thought for a moment and realize the horror that spread across my face as I walked into the room I was going to have to sleep in for four nights.

What was so bad about it? Thanks for asking. First thing's first: the hallways and the rooms all smell like mildew. One of my students commented that their room smelled like old Ugg boots and I think that was a pretty dead on descriptor. The whole place just reeks of decay and not just in that old hotel way. Like, I legitimately would not be surprised if this place had a very serious mold problem. And before you think I'm just being some primadonna who is whining about a light smell, please know that this is a smell so overwhelming that you can't ignore it. It hits you the moment you walk in the building and it just sticks to you.

My bathroom shower was covered in some sort of black, gritty. . . I don't want to say dust because it didn't really seem dusty (it was way coarser), but . . . yeah, it was all over the tub. While the eye level grout had been wiped down, the grout behind the toilets and in corners were caked with yellow mold. I suspect that's a mix of bodily fluids and actual mold, but I can't verify one way or another.

The sheets on my bed were stained. Clearly they had been washed and these were the kinds of stains that just won't relent, but yeah, stained sheets. The comforter was a dark green which, as a regular hotel guest, instantly makes me super suspicious. Call me uppity, but I like my hotels to have white linens so I can see that they are clean.

The ceiling looked like it had recently been repaired in some way, because there was a big bright white spot. . . which only served to display how dingy the rest of the yellowed paint was.

The TV only worked about half the time. Part of the time, the sound would go out. The other part of the time, the picture would turn fuzzy and blue. They had a decent amount of channels though (credit where credit's due).

When I turned on the AC or heat, the room filled with the smell of burning dust/ hair. It was pretty vile.

The wifi was effectively useless, but I suspect this had more to do with the hotel being packed for the first time in forever and the wifi being over burdened.

Oh, and a friendly tip: a large number of the rooms open directly to the parking lot and not to a hallway. While this might be a selling point for some folks, I was responsible for a large group of teenagers, so that added a fun level of excitement to my weekend.

I definitely will not be back. You also should stay far, far away. Don't listen to any of this nonsense from other reviewers saying it's "Not that bad." There are far nicer hotels in his same price range.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else all together.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ThisPlceHsEverything
Hotel_Hotel1, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Diosa, B.,

I'm writing to follow up regarding your recent stay at our hotel, and to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention in regards to our housekeeping efforts. As a older hotel, we have to strive each and everyday to make sure that our guests are satisfied and in your situation it seems that this was not the case. Since I am unaware of which room number you were in because your concerns were not brought directly to my attention, I have been unable to remedy your concerns with your bathroom but I have discussed everything with my housekeeping manager to ensure this does not happen to a guest in the future. It is unfortunate that you are unwilling to give our facility another try, however, if you are in the area again, please reach out to someone in management directly so we can do our best to make sure you receive the very best in accommodations. Since your stay, renovations have begun and there has been new carpeting placed in the rooms, new painting as well as new furniture in our Double Rooms.

Again, we appreciate your bringing these matters to our attention so that we can improve the services we offer our guests. I hope in the future you will allow us to serve your lodging needs.

Jocelyn Venable, Sales Manager

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Worst hotel ever....the renovations look like they just slapped up some paint. Worst service ever. The employees are rude especially the housekeepers and the management to include the owner act like they just don't care as long as they get paid. Stay away from here.

• Stayed: April 2014
Hotel_Hotel1, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the renovations that we have begun on our hotel. I invite you to come back and see the changes we have made once they are complete. I have also discussed the attitude of our staff and the management team here joins me in offering a sincere apology for any behavior you found displeasing. Please be assured a poor attitude by any of our staff members will not be tolerated at our hotel. I hope that you will give us another chance, please contact someone from management directly on your next visit to ensure the best accommodations.

Again, that you for your review.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Original room assigned smelled of mould and did not look anything like the picture. No tub. Desk was a weird 4-legged table. I got a (reluctant) replacement at an upcharge and left for the day. Returning at midnight after a rainstorm, I found that the ceiling was falling in quite literally. There was plaster all over the floor, a huge wet carpet patch (probably 5 feet in diameter?) and the sound of very loud dripping. Unihabitable. Like an episode of a nightmare hotel from a movie. Printer didn't work. Got a refund and checked into another hotel. Look elsewhere, there are dampness problems here.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Hotel_Hotel1, Manager at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to complete an online review. I apologize of behalf of our entire team for failing to exceed your expectations. We take comments and suggestions seriously and will be using your to make changes, so the next guest does not have the same experience as you did. Again, thank you and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed there for one night. The place was packed on a Friday night with people dancing at the bar. we got a room on the other side so it wasn't too noisy. The air conditioning is noisy but once its off its all fine. Overall a good place to stay when needed but nothing fancy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mountaingen
Hotel_Hotel1, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to complete an online review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Your feedback is important to us and we be sharing your review with the rest our staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Modesto
Ramada Modesto
Quality Inn Modesto
Quality Inn Modesto
#15 of 20 in Modesto
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Modesto Ceres

Been to Clarion Inn Conference Center? Share your experiences!