“A Pleasant Surprise”

DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have always thought of Double Tree as the poor cousin of the Hilton Family. I don't know if this hotel is typical of all Double Trees, but if it is, welcome to the family! Let me first say that my room was on a floor designated as Hilton Honors, so I cannot speak for rooms on other floors.

On check-in you are given a warm chocolate chip cookie. My room was spacious with a large foyer and bathroom. There was even a large chair and coffee table in addition to the desk. All furnishings were updated and there were granite surfaces on counters and furniture tops. The room also had a small refrigerator as well as the usual amenities.

Food in the hotel was above-average quality. Staff were very friendly. Access from Hwy 99 was easy, with parking across the street in a public garage. I wish all my hotel experiences were as good as this.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
FPSBGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of your kind comments and we are so happy that we were able to impress you. We are in hopes that on future travels to Modesto you will again choose our hotel.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I found the building (lobby, rooms, etc) was older but nicely kept up and renovated. Unlike most Hilton brand hotels, I found the front desk staff to be less accommodating, the breakfast was so-so at best, and it was noisy in the rooms. However, I liked the room, location (for Modesto), and the room service was pretty good. And it was a good price. I am torn whether I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind words about our facility and we are continuously training our associates on how to further enhance the guests experience. We hope that you will give us a second chance to impress you in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We visited Modesto as a one night stop on our 16 day tour of California and the Golden West. The Doubletree is visible for miles before you actually arrive as it appears to be the only high rise building. As we were arriving our courier said he would recommend our eating in the hotel. One or two of us said that we would prefer to go out to eat and he said that there were very few eateries in the town and to be honest, due to the area the hotel was situated in and the high volume of homeless people in the area, it would be preferable for us to remain firmly within the realms of the hotel. The hotel is on a busy road intersection, across from a multi storey car park. Unfortunately, what we weren’t aware of was that there was a very busy train line just beyond the car park.
Obviously, this wasn’t ideal but we were not unhappy with the look and feel of the hotel once we arrived into the foyer and then with our room.
We ate a tasty meal with friends in the bar, which was at quite a reasonable price to say it’s a Doubletree Hotel. We then retired early as we had an early start the next day. As soon as we got into the room I rang reception and asked what time the trains would stop running as the noise was so loud we couldn’t possibly sleep with that volume. The receptionist said “I’m sorry we don’t have details of the train timetable on reception”. I said that I understood that but in a previous hotel near an airport, reception could tell us that the planes had an 11pm curfew so we knew that things would quiet down after that time. The receptionist said “I’m sorry, we don’t have details of the train timetable on reception” so this was obviously a standard reply. When trains were approaching the crossing, from about a mile out they sound their very loud horns, and kept their hands on the horn until they were a mile beyond the crossing. The time between trains varied from 15 minutes to about 25 minutes – ALL NIGHT LONG – and although I did manage to get a modicum of sleep, my husband lay awake listening to the train horns all night. The ones that particularly upset him were the ones at 02.45, 03.00 and 03.12.
I would suggest that this hotel is not suitable for any people other than deaf ones and have made my views extremely clear to the travel company. If this is the only hotel in the town then travelers should move on to the next town. However, in the interests of balance, I have to admit the breakfast was good albeit the egg station was the slowest I have ever experienced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train line otherwise you could be awake all night like us
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alli_Ram
FPSBGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. It is harvest time here in Modesto and with it being a record harvest this year we are experiencing an unusual amount of trains passing by throughout the night. For our guests convenience we have placed individual ear plugs in all of the rooms in hopes to reduce the noise level.

We truly hope that you will give us a second chance to impress you in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Never been in Modesto before, was for a one day meeting. The hotel meet my expectations, it was centrally located and the rooms were nice. Did not try the breakfast so I can't comment on this. The rooms did have free Wi-Fi and the hotel charged for parking (8-9 Dllrs) If you need to do something within the area I recommend this hotel, just don't get startled by the trains passing at night. This is general for Modesto so no hotel within the area will be exempt from this.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of your kind words and we are in hopes that you will continue to utilize our hotel in future visits to Modesto.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This hotel is excellent in every way. I used the business center and a hotel rep named Kathy helped me on and off for hours to get my lap top to print with the printer (lap top mess up). She helped me to print and then fax. She went above and beyond to help. I appreciate her time and effort. The stay was excellent and dang those cookies are just too good!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of your kind comments and we will definitely pass along all of the kudo's to Kathy!

We hope that you choose us again on future visits to Modesto.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

The Modesto DoubleTree Hotel was very good in all regards except that it does not have a coffee stand or coffee shop. The walk-in shower in the handicapped room was excellent. The convention facilities more than met the needs of our organization.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your kind words and we are in hopes that you will choose us again on future viusits to Modesto.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Really nice hotel, rooms are very comfortable. Well located to explore Modesto and near to some excellent bars and restaurants.

Try Stands Bar which is less than 5 mins away from the hotel - great food and beer!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind words and sincerely hope that you choose us again on future visits to Modesto.