“Noisy Train”

DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The train that blows its horn several times during the middle of the night makes it impossible to sleep. The hotel was clean, the staff were friendly, and the services were good. However, the location is mediocre. If I visited Modesto again, I would stay somewhere that is much further from the noisy train.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
FPSBGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of your kind words about the hotel and the service we offer our guests. When choosing the hotel again please ask for a non-train side of the building and we will be more than happy to accomodate if available. We hope that you will choose us again. Safe travels.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Nice hotel, centrally located with restaurants and a movie theater near by. Nice furnishings and a great pool area. Room internet worked great. Every about the hotel was great except the train whistle in the middle of the night. The train station is very close by the hotel and apparently the train engineers like to blow the horn right at the station.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
FPSBGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind words about our hotel and staff. We do provide ear plugs in every room in order to help resolve this problem or feel free to ask the front desk for a room on the opposite side of the building as well. I hope this helps and I hope that you will continue to stay with us on future visits to Modesto.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I did not have high expectations before my arrival for a two-night stay. When I arrived after a long drive, I was greeted by a friendly valet parking attendant who actually seemed interested in my comfort and well-being. Then I walked into the lobby and was stunned by how artfully it was decorated. My king-size room was on the 3rd floor. It was nicely-appointed and exceptionally clean. The bed was comfy and the other furnishings were not only lovely, but user-friendly. The windows (which opened) looked out on the city. I admit to a love of trains so the occasional sound of the "whistle blowing" during the night was enjoyable for me. Room service for breakfast was quite expensive but tasty and beautifully plated. The server was very friendly (as was the housekeeper). The Crabtree and Evelyn Citron Honey travel goodies were the icing on the cake. I will definitely choose this fine hotel for my future visits to Modesto.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
FPSBGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We always strive for complete guest satisfaction and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Please stay with us again on your future travels to Modesto.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel was very nice, staff very efficient and friendly. We attended a graduation at the Centre and it was very convenient. Our party of 10 ate at the Hotel Restaurant and the food and service were excellent. The Hotel is designed very nicely and it was very clean.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
FPSBGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of your kind words about the hotel and also the meeting facilities as well as the food quality. We hope that you will consider us for future events as well. Congratulations on the Graduation!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have always thought of Double Tree as the poor cousin of the Hilton Family. I don't know if this hotel is typical of all Double Trees, but if it is, welcome to the family! Let me first say that my room was on a floor designated as Hilton Honors, so I cannot speak for rooms on other floors.

On check-in you are given a warm chocolate chip cookie. My room was spacious with a large foyer and bathroom. There was even a large chair and coffee table in addition to the desk. All furnishings were updated and there were granite surfaces on counters and furniture tops. The room also had a small refrigerator as well as the usual amenities.

Food in the hotel was above-average quality. Staff were very friendly. Access from Hwy 99 was easy, with parking across the street in a public garage. I wish all my hotel experiences were as good as this.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of your kind comments and we are so happy that we were able to impress you. We are in hopes that on future travels to Modesto you will again choose our hotel.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I found the building (lobby, rooms, etc) was older but nicely kept up and renovated. Unlike most Hilton brand hotels, I found the front desk staff to be less accommodating, the breakfast was so-so at best, and it was noisy in the rooms. However, I liked the room, location (for Modesto), and the room service was pretty good. And it was a good price. I am torn whether I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind words about our facility and we are continuously training our associates on how to further enhance the guests experience. We hope that you will give us a second chance to impress you in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We visited Modesto as a one night stop on our 16 day tour of California and the Golden West. The Doubletree is visible for miles before you actually arrive as it appears to be the only high rise building. As we were arriving our courier said he would recommend our eating in the hotel. One or two of us said that we would prefer to go out to eat and he said that there were very few eateries in the town and to be honest, due to the area the hotel was situated in and the high volume of homeless people in the area, it would be preferable for us to remain firmly within the realms of the hotel. The hotel is on a busy road intersection, across from a multi storey car park. Unfortunately, what we weren’t aware of was that there was a very busy train line just beyond the car park.
Obviously, this wasn’t ideal but we were not unhappy with the look and feel of the hotel once we arrived into the foyer and then with our room.
We ate a tasty meal with friends in the bar, which was at quite a reasonable price to say it’s a Doubletree Hotel. We then retired early as we had an early start the next day. As soon as we got into the room I rang reception and asked what time the trains would stop running as the noise was so loud we couldn’t possibly sleep with that volume. The receptionist said “I’m sorry we don’t have details of the train timetable on reception”. I said that I understood that but in a previous hotel near an airport, reception could tell us that the planes had an 11pm curfew so we knew that things would quiet down after that time. The receptionist said “I’m sorry, we don’t have details of the train timetable on reception” so this was obviously a standard reply. When trains were approaching the crossing, from about a mile out they sound their very loud horns, and kept their hands on the horn until they were a mile beyond the crossing. The time between trains varied from 15 minutes to about 25 minutes – ALL NIGHT LONG – and although I did manage to get a modicum of sleep, my husband lay awake listening to the train horns all night. The ones that particularly upset him were the ones at 02.45, 03.00 and 03.12.
I would suggest that this hotel is not suitable for any people other than deaf ones and have made my views extremely clear to the travel company. If this is the only hotel in the town then travelers should move on to the next town. However, in the interests of balance, I have to admit the breakfast was good albeit the egg station was the slowest I have ever experienced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train line otherwise you could be awake all night like us
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alli_Ram
FPSBGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. It is harvest time here in Modesto and with it being a record harvest this year we are experiencing an unusual amount of trains passing by throughout the night. For our guests convenience we have placed individual ear plugs in all of the rooms in hopes to reduce the noise level.

We truly hope that you will give us a second chance to impress you in the future.