“Historic Classic & Caring New Owners”

The Historic Hotel Leger
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mokelumne Hill
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Just spent two nights at the Leger. Until now while we'd toured gold country, can't say we ever heard of Mokelumne Hill. This stay though was a delight. The hotel has a classic 1850's ambiance; photogenic as all get out. The Leger is the social hub of tiny Mokelumne Hill so all the town action and 21st century characters are bound to pass thru the hotel bar and/or restaurant. The Leger was our central location for a few days of gold country touring, Moke Hill itself, Angels Camp, Murphys and Columbia.
The story as we understand it is that the hotel has quite recently come under new ownership. The evidence is that they, some new employees and some old employees are working very hard to fix the old beauty up, improve service, all to make it a place people would like to stay and hang around. They seem to be succeeding. Our room was beautiful with period piece furnishings, clean and large. There are still a few things to finish fixing and refinishing. But I know it takes time and money. There was certainly nothing that inconvenienced or disappointed us during this visit. The single improvement recommendation we have would be to replace the mattresses without compromising the 19th century style bed design & headboards.
The rooms do not have TV or phones which is just fine. We watched the 49'r game and Giants clinch in the Leger bar. We also had dinner in the restaurant two nights. One night's dinner, grilled salmon for me and pork chop for her was just excellent. The other night's dinner, Mexican food, was OK, standard Mexican fare.
Ask for a tour especially of the cellars and "jail". We intend to return and look forward to seeing the historic hotel rebound and further exploring the region.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank WMV2

Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

Wow, where to start! The hotel drips with gold rush history, just imagine what the walls could tell.
It's an easy drive from the Sacramento area and the views are beautiful. The hotel looks just like one would imagine a hotel from the mid 1850's would look like. The check-in was painless thx to Leanne and Kimberly and soon I was heading up the stairs to room #7. The bed was extremely comfortable. Window opens to a great view of the foothills. The in-house restaurant is really good with great steaks and salmon. Debbie is an attentive and friendly server and the total meal experience was positive.
I spent a lot of time in the lobby in the comfortable chairs, just watching the world go by. No TV or in room refridg, but who wants that when you are in a time machine. I have already started planning my next visit. Clean, quiet, friendly, what more could one ask.
I stayed Oct 28th - 30th, 2012 in room #7.
Gary ...

• Stayed: October 2012
8  Thank getawaygary33
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I checked into the Hotel on a Wednesday and was staying till Tuesday. I booked the entire reservation on Priceline at around $73.00 a night. I have visited over one hundred reported haunted B & B in the US so I was excited to see one of the most haunted and active places in northern California (so reported). When I arrived, I showed my Priceline receipt to the bartender who gave me a room key and said down the hallway and up the stairs to the right. No paperwork to sign, no room agreement. The room was number 7, as told it was the former George Leger's room. Very active haunted room (so reported). The room is small, no AC, only two outlets, one lamp, and an old desk and dresser I was afraid would fall apart if I used them. The room was dirty. I went through the whole room, to first make sure I wasn't being scammed on this haunted room...hidden speakers & such. But what I found was worse...it was filthy, just dirty. I went to look for someone to get it cleaned, it was late, but there was no one there. I mean NO ONE. The bar was locked; there wasn't another person in this hotel but me. I took advantage of this and explored the whole hotel uninterrupted, room by room...nothing, no ghost, no haunting, nothing they reported. In the morning I went to my bathroom which was across the hall from my room, the ceiling was moldy, yeah I said MOLD & rotting wood in the ceiling where you can see the roof has been leaking for a long time. One roll of TP, no towels, not even a wash cloth...so I had to go to the other bathrooms for TP, the other rooms for towels...why you ask...because at 8am, there was no one there and the bar doors are locked. Later that afternoon, when I came back to the hotel, I told the bartender...no towels, TP, the room was dirty, the bedding was never changed. He said he would handle it. Day 3, I run into a girl in the hallway that explains she is the waitress for the bar, I asked for towels, TP, extra pillow, and a fan because the room has no AC and I can't open the window...there's no screen and I don't sleep with bugs. I then mentioned, my room was never made up, the sheets never changed, and the ROOM WAS DIRTY! I was staying for 6 days; she claimed she never knew anyone was even here. WOW! To make it better, as I went on with the other things I noticed, she explained the owners of the hotel just don't care. They will put little to no money into it, that these complaints happen all the time and the hotel is up for sale. And they are right, in their own guest book for you to leave a personal note in...people have complained, only to have the STAFF write comments back like "Big BabY", so if you comment they try to make a joke out of it. The place isn't haunted. It's old, uncared for. The building cools down at night and that's the night time noises, the smokers from the bar are in the front of the building, so as the building cools at night the air is drawn up along with the smell of cigars and cigarettes into room 7, because the window doesn't seal, and the draft sucks the stink right to you. There is no documented evidence of this place being haunted, not one video or picture, nothing. For a place that claims pillows are thrown to the bottom of the stairs all the time, a video camera up top and at the base would provide a great source to document this paranormal phenomenon. The stories in my opinion are made up to draw in suckers like myself unfortunately who gave it a chance. The hotel on the weekend is full of people, too drunk to leave, so they get rooms...and all night through the hallways people are running around or using any bathroom with a door open. Which Friday night I found out that our bathroom across the hall was being used by everyone like a public restroom; all the towels were used or gone by morning. When I went to the bar, again when it opened, I was told my room key locked our bathroom, good to know NOW. So if you are looking for a haunted hotel, this is NOT it. It's a dump, old and falling apart, unmaintained, and just a waste of time to visit.
The restaurant should NOT be included in this review, because the food was 5 Star.
So in short...DO NOT even consider staying at the Hotel, it's got mold, it's dirty, you bedding will never be changed & I question when they actually do it. For all I know I was steeping in someone else stink.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Lynette P
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Upon arriving, we had learned the hotel had just finished shooting for an upcoming episode of Hotel Impossible! Talk about good timing. Production ended that morning and 6 am with brand new renovations and a makeover. We checked in at 4 pm. Since, this was our first visit to Mokelumne Hill, we weren't sure what to expect, and had any prior knowledge of what the hotel looked like before. We grabbed a beer from the bar and headed up to hotel #11 part of the "The McCartney Suite" that is supposedly haunted by Grandma Kate. I was pleased to find out that we had our own private bath, and access to the outdoor balcony. Later we swam in the pool, checked out the former jail cell in the basement (which is now used for dining. very gothic and beautiful), and dined at the hotel's restaurant. The food was amazing. I'm not sure if Hotel Impossible had influenced their menu items, or this was normal fare, but I was delighted by the taste, quality and freshness of the ingredients. I ordered the salmon, which was cooked to perfection, the mashed potatoes were delicious, and the veggies were fresh. My daughter ordered the fettuccine Alfredo primavera, and she loved it. I had also tried a few bites, to taste, and I must say the homemade sauce was awesomely creamy and very tasty.

After dinner, we enjoyed some live music at the bar, and decided to see if we could summon any of the hotel spirits for a visit, unfortunately, we did not experience anything otherworldly.

We will definitely stay again. If you enjoy a nice peaceful relaxing stay without any modern amenities (television), a friendly environment, and beautiful town, I recommend that you stay here!

Room Tip: When booking a room, make sure you ask if the room has a private or shared bath.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank ihumpdorks
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The place has great character and the furniture is beautiful but we definitely had some issues! Reserved room online but when we checked in the general manager had no idea who I was and said there have been problems with their system but then after awhile she found my reservation. We weren't told there was a code on the front door to get in after hours- thankfully we came back while another door was still open.There is only on-street parking available which was limited in the afternoon. The restaurant had pretty good food but the room was a little stuffy and outdoor seating was limited. The bartender in the daytime was not very friendly or attentive. No ice bucket or cups for water in the room, no breakfast available just coffee & cookies, no place to put personal items in the bathroom- and finally the full size bed was too short for a 5'11 person. For the money it was not a good value.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank siwywabit
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We did not stay at the hotel but ate there for dinner. Ate on the balcony overlooking the creek and had great service. They need more vegetarian options on the menu since at the moment it is very limited. However, the grizzly beer was great! Price for dinner was very fair and the service was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephenwr
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My wife, myself and our grandson spend one night there, and that was plenty as the room had no AC, fan or place to hang up clothes.
Staff was helpful and friendly and the most enjoyable thing was sitting by the pool in the evening.
The food was excellent in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Come at sometime other than Juily unless you can do without AC while sleeping.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Sutter Creek
Travelodge Angels Camp CA
Travelodge Angels Camp CA
#3 of 5 in Angels Camp

Been to The Historic Hotel Leger? Share your experiences!