The Historic Hotel Leger
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$121
US$113
US$85
Agoda.com
US$87
US$99
The Robin's Nest(San Andreas)
US$128
US$117
US$64
  • Pool
Hotel Sutter(Sutter Creek)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$129
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgold countrygold rushbalcony accessharley ridersbathroom en suitefloors creakbedroom windowhotel barvalley springstwo nightswine tastingcontinental breakfasttwo night staylarge roombig trees state parkrenegadetownspeople
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We have been staying here for years and always every minute. I love the old authentic ambiance, the wrap around balconies with their window access, good food, friendly people and the location. Hotel Leger has rustic old time charm that you just can not find any more. Everything you would want is right there under one roof for the perfect weekend get away. In the past we were able to bring our small dog and this was a big plus because we take her everywhere. I am not sure if this luxury is still an option. If I had to find a complaint the coffee pot in the hall up stairs definitely needed to be replaced when I was there last and real half & half would be appreciated. Over all, this is a delightful experience

• Stayed: March 2013
HotelLeger, Owner at The Historic Hotel Leger, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

UPDATE - We are the new owners since June 2013,. and yes, we are pet (dog) friendly in the hotel and the restaurant (saloon and outdoor dining only).

We also now serve a gourmet continental breakfast in the lobby every morning, so the "coffee pot" that used to be upstairs is no more!

Plans are to open the restaurant for breakfast later this year, so stay tuned!

Thanks!
The Historic Hotel Leger

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had a wonderful time traveling to and staying at Mokelumne Hill and the Hotel Ledger. The place is Gold Country Era so it's old and funky, but we like old and funky. Not much happening in Mokelumne Hill except the Ledger, but the food is great, the bar is adequate, the hosts are excellent and the people are very friendly. We stayed on a non eventful weekend and there was a DJ playing whatever you wanted to dance to. We were on our way out and I mentioned to the owner that I had not heard the whole story about the hotel and he took us on a personal tour for about an hour of his time. We will definitely be staying there again and we will be bringing our metal detectors and gold pans. We stayed in Room #1 the first night and room #10 the second.

Room Tip: Street side has a balcony you can hang out on and whether or not there is anything to see on the street it is a nice place to have a glass of wine and those snacks you brought with you. The rear side is quieter and more conducive to sleep if that's what you need.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 5 February 2014

If experiencing an old historic hotel is your expectations, then you will definitely enjoy your stay. The floors creek, the hotel is definitely old, but has character and has had some restorations and the staff is very friendly. We were greeted and checked in by one of the owners, Doralee, who took over the hotel, restaurant and bar operations six months prior, just after the hotel aired on Hotel Impossible. Our room faced the street and was quaint, comfortable, with access to the front balcony by stepping through the window.

The bar appears to be the gathering place for locals. There was no band the weekend of our stay so the noise was not noticable as earlier guests had commented.

The creeking floors did not bother us as we were the only ones on that side of the hotel our first night. I believe there were two other rooms booked, but not down our wing, so the evening was pretty quiet. Our second night there was another couple staying two rooms down. We could hear, and occassionally woke to the creeking as they walked around, mostly to and from the bathroom which was across the hall from their room because they did not have an in-unit bathroom. We later learned that some of the creeking was also from bar guests who were familiar enough with the hotel to know where the upstairs bathrooms were if needed. Still, we accepted that there would be creeking, so it did not bother us.

By the way, if you stay here, make sure to get the front door access code. We were not provided our paperwork with the code until the following day, but fortunately we were back at the hotel before 10:00pm our first night, otherwise we would have been locked out of the hotel.

A nice continental breakfast is provided each morning and we had dinner one night at the hotel's restaurant. We noticed only one server the night we had dinner there, so it was a bit slow, but we were in no hurry. Besides there is nothing else open in town. I believe the chef also served as the bartender, kind of a do-it-all manager between the bar and restaurant.

Will we return the next time in the area? That is a toss up right now. The hotel and staff are pleasant and it was a nice experience. We took advantage of a promotional package so the price was right. However, we explored the Historic National Hotel in nearby Jackson while in the area, which underwent an extensive makeover, making it much more updated and elegant, and staff that we found equally pleasant. At full prices, Leger is not much cheaper than the prices that National showed us. We like trying new places and the pros that sway us to try National Hotel on our next time in the area are that there is much more to do and see in Jackson, both in the way of quaint old-time shops, and modern business establishments. In fairness, we will give National a try then provide our pro and con comparisons to Leger. We are not knocking Leger, it is worth the experience.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Live-Love-Vacation
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I and my family checked in on Sunday 12th and stayed until the 14th Of January. From the very moment we arrived we were treated like Royalty. The owners were on hand to check us in and make sure everything was to our satisfaction. Every one of the staff was exceptionally friendly, polite and genuinely caring! Food was delicious.. the bar was fun with much laughter! Sunday they turned on the 49er game so that I could watch even though the Bar and restaurant weren't officially open yet. I even got "Extra" Olives and celery in my Bloody Mary! This is a old Hotel so yep my floor creaked and was sorta downhill in a few of the corners. But that is exactly what I was looking for "Fun and funky yet clean and friendly" My grandson whom is 8 is a "Ghost hunter" he brought his own kit but then the Hotel provided each room with one and a complete guide on Ghost Hunting. We didn't actually experience any paranormal activity but I captured some Orbs that weren't visible to the naked eye while snapping pictures. One in particular really made me smile, we had gone to the basement area to check it out and I had been snapping many pictures, when I got home I downloaded them and found to my amusement most pictures were all clear with nothing out of the ordinary; but one that I had snapped of the wine barrels or wine casks showed many, many orbs so I know they must be all happy contented Ghosts...I stayed in room 10 and found two Orbs on the picture I took in the room my daughter and family stayed in room 13.. nothing untoward showed up. All in all it was Fun and stress-free two days. We particularly enjoyed it because only three rooms had been booked, us and another couple. We had the Hotel to ourselves. The staff went home at 10:00, they left all the un-booked rooms open so that we could Ghost Hunt all night if we wished. A most wonderful experience and we will be going back again and again!

Room Tip: My daughters room number 13 faced the street and had access to the Balcony were we sat in the evening sipping local wine. I think any room you get here would be Perfect!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank BooblaJean
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed in room#2 for two nights in December, In front of my eyes my wallet got thrown across the dresser onto the floor. We had an awesome experience, also the Hotel Staff was great and very friendly. Thanks Again, We will be back soon. Ricky

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends