“Mid Week Fun Dinner”

Chang Thai Bistro
Ranked #28 of 148 Restaurants in Monrovia
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Excellent Chicken Pad Thai and beef Mussaman dinner along with Perfect tead made our evening delightfully wonderful

Reviewed 3 August 2016

Chang Thai Bistro is one of our "go to" restaurants in neighboring Monrovia, CA. The menu has many choices with various seasoning and spice options (curry, chili paste, tamarind, etc.). It is easy to satisfy the preferences of a variety of people who are dining together.

One of my favorites is the basil chili dish with options of chicken, beef, pork, tofu, and various seafoods (extra $2 charge for these). The pad thai is great and their chicken satay is well made. Last night we also ordered grilled tamarind chicken and mushroom; it was good but a bit sweeter than I prefer for a main dish.

Dinner portions are large and can easily serve two people, especially if an appetizer is shared. RIce is not included ($1.50+ charge depending on the portion size) but is served molded in a charming heart-shape which makes me smile!

The lunch menu is a great buy -- egg roll, soup, and jasmine rice with many main dish options -- and is available 11 am to 3 pm.

Service is good and attentive, although a bit uneven when the restaurant is full (ex. on Friday nights during the street fair). There are banquette/chair options along the walls, as well as stand-alone tables down the center of this small-ish restaurant. There are a few sidewalk tables just outside the front door.

I'm giving the restaurant a "4" rating. While the food is probably a "5", I was noticing last night that the place is getting a bit run-down. the pseudo-wood flooring is peeling with the veneer missing in many places; there is a cluttered stand in the front area, with lots of magazines, fliers, etc. visible in the front window area; and plates are chipped. None of this affects the quality of the food, but limits the quality of the experience.

Monrovia's charming historic downtown area is filled with small restaurants and shops. There is angled and parallel street parking as well as several city lots. All parking is free. Not all parking spots have the same length approved parking time so beware if you want to avoid a ticket over a long lunch or movie! I recall there are 60 and 90 minute options, as well as 3 hour spots in public parking lots.

Reviewed 22 February 2016

Fresh, well prepared food. The wait staff was attentive and very nice. The menu offers many choices and extensive. The portions are plentiful and resonably priced. We're anxious for our next visit. Sat at the sidewalk tables and people watched. Lovely little enclave.

Reviewed 20 September 2015

Prompt and friendly service, and the food is delicious. I have been to a couple of other Thai restaurants in the wet coast and to me this one has been the best so far!

Reviewed 14 September 2015

I love this place, the service is perfect and the male waiter so sweet. The menu just offers so many choices! I ask for my food "Thai-style" because I like it hot.