“We came back after many years.”

Rudy's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 137 Restaurants in Monrovia
Cuisines: Mexican
Pasadena, California
“We came back after many years.”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had not been to Rudys for many years and walked in and time had stopped, Rudy smiling and looking just like he did years ago.

We chose the Bar area as they have happy hour in there. I asked about happy hour drink specials but the very young waitress didn't know about that and the Margaritas were $8 so I passed. I don't drink much and all the other Happy Hours have reduced drink prices. As I left the ladies room i saw drink specials on the wall for each night. Last night was Tequila night and I would have ordered that if i had known. Most of the HH drinks were $4.50 which isn't really a HH special price but i would have done that.

They had some sort of rolled chicken thing rolled and fried in a delicious light shell, that was delicious for HH food, watch the green salsa it is HOT!!!!! I took it as thought the red would be hot. But they had sour cream to cool it down.

The lady was making tacos for $1.50 each and they were delicious. They have a number of options for filling. I chose pulled pork and my husband chose Carne Asada and we were both very please. One of the reasons we hadn't been there for a while is my husband only likes ground beef but they don't serve it. But he sucked it up and was glad.

Juan, Rudy's son was not there but he is a very nice person. Rudy's wife was there to greet and visit with the customers. Rudy as always walks around to make every one comfortable. They had some of the older employees and some new younger ones. Maybe family, but wish the waitress had known about drink specials but my diet coke was great ;)

Looking forward to going again... If I remember right they had great chili relenos...

• Visited July 2014

Pasadena, California
“Poorest service in the area”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Waited 35 minutes for a table for 12. They gave it away to another group that just showed up (without reservations) and just told us sorry. I had 2 double margaritas and was stone cold sober $18 later. I asked where is the booze and was told Rudy is a teetotaler. I was instructed to order beer if I wanted alcohol.

• Visited November 2013
8 Thank Ed J
california
“Love this place”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Always excellent food and cheerful service. Rudy actually walks around and greets customers. Great prices also. I make the ten mile trip to go there as often as possible.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank trip_lady15
Monrovia, California
“Never a bad meal or attitude”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Rudy's is family owned and operated. The family recognizes us every time and Rudy himself comes over to say hello and shake our hands. He will bring galletas for our young ones at the end of our meal just about every time. The food is excellent and the Rudy's margarita is mind-numbing. Drink responsibly!

1 Thank otterrock
“Nice family atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We hadn't been to Rudys for a long time, I'm not sure why but do know my husband is unhappy they do not have ground beef and he feels the salsa is a bit watery, I don't mind as they will bring us extra veggies and I can get around the ground beef just fine.

We do love Rudy and his family. His wife is always at his side and I just love his son Juan, who makes one mean margarita. This is a great family place and it is very pleasant to have the same employees that have been there for a long time and that says a lot about management and Rudy.

They also have a fantastic Happy Hour, try it u will like it.

• Visited August 2013