DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Monrovia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Staff is super friendly and helpful. Hotel decor is updated. Overall nice place to stay

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
lplascencia, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

Dear Jenshro,

Thank you for the gracious comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be so helpful. We hope to see you return again soon!

Reviewed 22 September 2011

This hotel is modern in its own unique way with a great buffet breakfast ! Comfortable beds with a nice pool area to have breakfast beside.

Service is great too!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
lplascencia, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Dear Sidetracked,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our modern hotel amenities and that the staff took such good care of you. We hope to see you return again soon!

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I'm not sure how to rate this hotel.... This is a solid 4 star hotel in my book - spacious king room, nice bedding, good service, modern decor, free parking/free wifi, etc. The reason I'm giving it a 3 star is because of the ridiculous wake up calls we received.

My husband and I stayed here 3 nights Sept 2011. The first morning, we received a wake up call at 6:30am that we did not set. I called the front desk and the lady said she will check the system and have it removed. When I left the hotel that morning, I stopped by the front desk again and the front desk lady said it will be taken care of. The next morning, we again received a wake up call at 6:30am. I called the front desk, again, (quite frustrated at this point) and the lady said there's no record of a wake up call set on their system, and that perhaps it's someone I know calling me at the room. If I wasn't so tired, that would have been kind of funny. No one knew my room number and the call clearly said "this is your wake up call." I stopped by the front desk at 8am and spoke with the front desk manager. When I returned to the hotel at 5pm and checked on the status of the situation, I was informed that nothing had been done yet. They eventually told me most likely the previous guest had set the wake up call on the phone directly, and they sent maintenance up to fix it. I wish that was done in the beginning, or at least, someone could have told me how to disable the wake up call on the phone myself. If wake up calls can be set on the phones that do not show up on their system, then the hotel really should have housekeeping reset it every time someone checks out so the next guest isn't affected by it. The very first lady I spoke to about this problem should have checked the system, then checked the phone to ensure this issue was taken care of. It's quite frustrating that we had to contact the front desk repeatedly for the same situation and it took so long to resolve it. Someone somewhere should have taken accountability for it. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened to a guest. The last front desk lady I spoke to did comp us breakfast for our troubles. That's nice, but I would really rather not be waken up at 6:30am 2 days in a row on my vacation.

Other than that, the hotel breakfast buffet is simple but good. The omelet lady makes a good omelet. Wi-fi is a little bit slow. The gym is very nicely equipped with new machines & individual tvs. The pool is smaller in person and not heated. Location is good as it is right off the freeway and there are many stores and restaurants around. We requested a microwave and a mini fridge and they were in our room upon arrival. Oh, the cookies they give you at arrival is a nice touch. I guess if I'm guaranteed the wake up calls do not happen again, I could be persuaded to come back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
lplascencia, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Dear teasixfan,

First of all, thank you for the review of your stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas of opportunity. I apologize that your stay was interrupted by the early morning wake-up calls and have discussed this with our front desk team to ensure situations like this do not happen in the future. I’m pleased to hear you were able to enjoy the hotel amenities during your visit and that you found the location convenient. We hope the next time you’re in town you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I just stayed here a week ago during the Labor Day weekend. I'm surprised that there are so many bad reviews of this place. To me this hotel is very classy and unpretentious, and I like it for that. The service we received at the front desk was fine.

This hotel is different from the ones we usually stay in. It has no fridge, no microwave, and no towel bars! I didn't like it at first, but once I got past the initial disappointment of not finding those favorite gadgets of mine, I find that it has a charm beneath its minimalist approach. There are places to hang wet things, just not your typical towel bars. And the room IS dark with insufficient lighting, but it also has a quiet ambiance because of that. Once I decided that I didn't need the extra bright lights, or the towel bars or the microwave oven or the fridge, I started appreciating the room for what it offered, which is a sophisticated, calm retreat.

Our family of four slept comfortably in a room with two queen beds, and there's also a couch along the window that can serve as a twin bed for an extra person.

The breakfast is very good, complete with all the hot entrees and a made-to-order station, cereals, bagels, yogurt, fruits, you name it. The chef behind the made-to-order station make the most amazing omelets.

The dining area faces the pool area, which consists of a beautiful lanai area with plenty of seatings under canopies, a cool pool, a jacuzzi, and a fountain/fireplace. I don't like it that they don't heat the pool beyond 75F, but after swimming for awhile I got used to it. The jacuzzi is very nice, and most of the time there are very few people using the pools so we got it all to ourselves. Towels are provided near the pool, as are the yummy signature chocolate chip cookies. My children kept going up to the counter to ask for them throughout the day, I think that's their favorite part of the stay. My favorite is at night, when they light up the fire in the fountain area, the pool area is transformed into a fantastic place to hangout. If we didn't have children with me and it wasn't thunderstorming, we would sit by the fire and just imagine ourselves at a bonfire. What a treat.

All this for $100 a night, I think it's more than worth it.

Nearby, there are many good restaurants to eat, including a Claim Jumper right next door, and an Asian buffet across the street. Across the street is also a small Japanese restaurant named Taisho (sp?) that sells really good spicy tuna rice. And Huntington Library is just close by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool, they are a lot nicer than those facing the other way.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
lplascencia, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Dear mama_goat,

Thank you for spending your Labor Day holiday at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed relaxing in our pool area and that your children liked our signature chocolate chip cookies! We hope your will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I am a fan of mininalism and modern decor. Although we're not talking 5-star quality here, my husband and I were very satisfied with our one-night stay over the recent Labor Day weekend.
We've stayed in 2 other similar hotels in the area, and this hotel has the quietest rooms, especially when it comes to expressway traffic. Upon check in we asked for a quiet room away from the elevator. We got a room on the 9th floor, facing the mountains, mid-way down the hall.
We found the staff to be pleasant.
The room has a modern vibe to it, clean and minimal fancy shmancy going on. The mattress is low on a platform. We don't like all the fluff and heavy blankies, so we did the usual remaking of the bed to make it cooler to our liking.
Unfortunately the shower head looked like it'd taken several hits. Water was mostly spurting out of the wrong places. But my mechanical husband had it in good working order after adjusting it.
The A/C was very effective at cooling the room, but the clanking sound it made for a few seconds when the compressor kicked on was disruptive to sleep. So I had to bump up the thermostat to keep it from coming on so often.
Free parking. Free wi-fi. And Chinese satellite TV!
So far, this is our favorite hotel in the area. I'm sure we'll be back.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevators. The ice machine is right next to one of the room and it was roaring...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear LRutherford,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. I’m pleased to hear you liked the hotel amenities and modern décor. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2011

We decided to stay at this hotel due to a conference that we were attending at a local hospital. Unfortunately, we didn't check the reviews on Trip Advisor before we booked or we NEVER would have stayed at this hotel. Though the room was a good size, I hadn't seen room decor or furnishings of this kind since I was in a dive in Fez, Morocco over 15 years ago........totally third world, old and tired. The bathroom shower curtain (what hotel still has shower curtains?) reeked of mildew. Despite the 3 lights in the room, it still was dark and dingy. The two windows in the room were dirty with spider webs and looked liked they had not been cleaned in months. Also, there was a stain and crack across the ceiling that looked like the room above ours had flooded at some point and they did a sloppy job at trying to camouflage it. The room had a flat screen TV that hung awkwardly on the prominent wall in the room, however there was nothing else on the wall.....no pictures, shelves, nothing. The bed was uncomfortably low to the ground and sat directly across from a hideous orange colored, smelly couch. Horrible!! The service at the hotel was hit and miss. On one of the hottest nights, we had a city blackout for about 3 hours and for the most part, the only place that had lights was the lobby. The guest rooms had no lights and no AIR CONDITIONING! The sad part was the hotel manager (Luis) had absolutely no idea how to make the guest comfortable during this blackout other than passing out flashlights and offering water as the temperature outside was about 90 degrees.. He was clueless about customer service. I asked Luis since this hotel was associated with Hilton Honors, why couldn't he just give us a voucher for the Hilton down the block (the one with the lights on). He informed me that this Doubletree is a franchise........so beware!! I guess being a "franchise" means you can just let the property deteriorate right under your nose and not intervene. Thank goodness it wasn't a real emergency or we would have been in trouble!! Lastly, there are a few good things about this hotel. It is close to many options for meals that you can walk to. They don't charge for parking and their buffet breakfast is pretty good. The pool area was okay, though the pool needed cleaning. In addition, they do allow smoking on the property outside so there were old cigarette butts on the ground. Yuck!! In conclusion, I consider this a 2 star property at best. There are a few options down the way to consider other than this "franchised" hotel. We will NEVER be back!!

Room Tip: The best room is at another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Angelscry21
lplascencia, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Dear Angelscry21,

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and I am actively working with our staff to ensure cleanliness and comfort are our first priority. I understand the condition of the guestrooms was of concern, I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options in the future.

I also apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during the blackout. While we had no control over the situation, we tried to make our guests as comfortable as possible during the situation by providing water and flashlights. We hope you’ll consider giving us a second chance the next time you’re in the area.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

About 40 minutes from Ontario airport, the Doubletree Monrovia looks to be in a state of uplift that is incomplete. The room was spacious and updated, as was the bath. Toiletries were very nice and towel allocation generous. The air conditioning unit was loud, so it was difficult to sleep.

As some other patron photos show, the outside remains tired and unkempt. There are sizable cobwebs outside the windows of the rooms and those at the end of the hall near the elevators. Requested assistance from staff around the pool area was promised and never delivered.

This was a corporate reservation which included breakfast. Distribution of breakfast coupons was inconsistent, so be sure to inquire at check in. The breakfast buffet was generous and included an omelette bar.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Niblik2010

Dear Niblik2010,

Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the amenities within your guest room. I sincerely apologize for noise you encountered from the air conditioner; I am working with our maintenance team to ensure the issue is corrected. We hope you’ll stay with us again the next time you’re in the area.

Luis Plascencia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monrovia
Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Embassy Suites by Hilton Arcadia Pasadena Area
Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia
SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area? Share your experiences!