“A quick getaway”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Monrovia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Once we discovered that one of our favorite authors was doing a book signing at Vroman's in Pasadena we headed for the "land of milk and honey." Made a quick reservation at Double Tree. Had stayed there several years ago and it was time to review. The hotel was in an excellent location with great on and off ramp ability to the 210 freeway. We arrived early (before noon) and they did not have a room ready but they apologized and locked our luggage in a secure area while we ran errands. Returned and got a very nice room facing the well-groomed parking lot. Plenty of restaurants in the area, The cushions on the bench outside the elevator were a little worn and could use some updating but the room was great, quiet, and comfy.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet as the hotel is fairly secluded and off the street and away from the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Matthew G, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thanks for the great review! We hope you had a great time at the book signing! I'd also like to thank you for pointing out some of the wear and tear. We are working diligently to reupholster the cushions and have plans for updating our elevator.

I hope you'll come back and stay with us on your next trip to the Monrovia - Pasadena Area!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Nice facility! Lovely rooms and beautiful pool area just off the lobby. I like that there are nightly events at the pool area, even though I was not able to participate on this visit. I will return when I can participate in Jazz or Salsa and enjoy Starbuck's coffee at the deli.

Denise,

Thanks for the review! We hope that you come back soon to listen to Jazz by the pool on Thursdays. Bring your dancing shoes for Salsa Sundays, too! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel had big, comfortable rooms, a convenient Starbucks in the lobby, easy access to fwy, nice bar and swimming pool, and a very reasonable price for the Pasadena area. Upgrade, which only cost $9, was worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Matthew G, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Janet,

Thank you for your review! We are glad you appreciate the value of our services and look forward to welcoming you with our warm chocolate chip cookies on your next stay!

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stay here when I travel to the area on business. Everything is of the highest degree. The staff are always helpful & courteous; the room is always clean; the amenities are always in the room/bath; the restaurant is 1st rate for breakfast & lunch/dinner. I will stay here again, by choice.

1  Thank John L

Dear John,

We really appreciate your glowing review, and that you always choose our hotel for your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My daughter had foot surgery and the Hilton Monrovia was close to the day surgery facility. The staff were fantastic. Very friendly and very helpful. Room service was exceptional. Free shuttle service was great. No destination was a problem and the shuttle even waited for me if I was just doing a short trip. Rooms were clean, tidy and user friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Michelle,

Thanks for your wonderful review. We're glad you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle. We hope you'll choose us the next time you're in the area!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

When I first arrived and was given a room on the Hilton's honor floor, I was looking forward to a good experience. As I got off the elevator on the 7th floor, and took a whiff, and it smelled like insecticide. That was lovely compared to my room. It was a accessible room and it smelled like a convalescent home. The next morning when I took a shower, the shower head was difficult to use and more difficult to hang back up without spraying the bathroom. As I was drying my hair, the fire alarm went off. As I walked down the stairs, I decided this hotel was off the list.

Diane,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel. We apologize for the odor you encountered during your stay, and we’re taking steps to make sure it won’t happen again. We know that travel can be stressful, and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm and we hope you’ll stay with us again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I spent 3 nights at this place recently. Would I return to this hotel again? I don't know! Perhaps I would due to the lack of better option. I considered Marriott Courtyard which according to many reviews was too close to the highway and too noisy, before deciding on Double Tree.
I checked in late and the reception I received was very pleasant. Loved the touch of warm welcome cookies. My first view of my room was very pleasant too. The room looked slick and modern, reminiscent of Philip Stark and the W Hotel. I was also positively impressed with the brightness of the room-too many hotels are too stingy with reading lights and cost of electricity. The fact that there was no bathroom door and only a glass partition separating the bath and sleeping area did not bother me, since I was traveling alone and not expecting visitors.

As time went on, gradually little things begin to bother me, such as there was a Cuisinart coffee maker on a tall piece of furniture but there was no electric outlet near by. There was no convenient place to put one's cosmetic bag or shaving kit. The sink was lovely to look at but being rather shallow means every time I wash my hands my top gets slashed. Getting in and out of an extremely slick looking tall tub in order to take a shower could be quite challenging for senior citizens or less nimble individuals. There was only an impressive looking Rainshower shower head directly over ones head, I kind of like having an extra regular shower head pointing at me at an angle in order to rinse throughly. The reading light that i liked so much was actually too bright- when I accidentally pointed it directly at my eyes and turned it on while lying in bed, the incredibly bright light blinded me momentarily. the AC unit was not calibrated correctly or malfunctioned. The room was freezing at 78 degrees. When I turned off the AC, the air got very stuffy. There was a coffee bar offering starbuck's coffee in the lobby, after I paid for a latte I was told they did not have whole milk,....

On the good site, people were very friendly and pleasant. The room rate was reasonable. I had a very nice 3-egg omelet at an incredibly reasonable price in the morning and the manager even offered us diners a free delicious waffle for no reason! Although I am not big on waffles and declined her offer, it left me with a very nice feeling.

I would have given it a more positive review if it weren't for 2 unpleasant occurrences. The internet in my room really sucks. I had to wait until morning to go downstairs to get online. I was also charged $10 extra per night than my reservation indicated. When I inquired at the front desk, the young woman told me I had gotten an upgrade. I would have been much happier been informed I was upgraded at $10 extra per night at check in time. Besides I had the last room on my floor getting out of the elevator. It is right next to the exit staircase and the room is rather small. The view is into the grey wall of the L-shaped corner wall and a deep wide ditch. My reservation was for a larger King room. It is hard for me to think of it as an upgraded room especially I wasn't told I had gotten one to begin with.

Room Tip: Don't get a room far from the elevators, there is no view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Showchia H

Dear Showchia,

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. We're very sorry for the issues that you experienced and with comments like yours we can better plan for future renovations. I will be speaking to the Front Office about making sure to inform our guests when there is a charge for an upgrade.

We're very glad that our staff made a great impression and hope that our service will bring you back for your next stay in the area.

Matthew Goo - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monrovia
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia
Embassy Suites by Hilton Arcadia Pasadena Area
Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pasadena Colorado Blvd.
Residence Inn Pasadena Arcadia

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area? Share your experiences!