“Needs Renovation - badly”

Quality Inn Near City of Hope
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Monrovia
Santa Maria CA
“Needs Renovation - badly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Good location and a great price for the area.
But the rooms are worn out and are very badly in need of a complete renovation.The rooms feel dirty-carpet,walls,etc., they need fresh everthing.
The overall property needs maintenance too-fresh paint,take care of deferred maintenance,etc.
Did not want to use the pool and it appeared useable, but was "closed for renovation" ??
We have family in the area but won't be staying here again until it is redone.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sanger, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Came here with my significant other for a quick weekend trip and stayed n Room #114. I booked the 2 person whirlpool tub room (not the heart shaped one shown on the website) but I apologize fellow tripadvisors, I was so excited with the room I forgot to take pictures! I am planning on a return trip there for our anniversary as everything was to my satisfaction at the hotel and will take pictures then.

The same lady checked us in and checked us out and was very pleasant each time, she even offered to let me see the heart shaped jacuzzi room but we were pressed for time.
Staff wasn't loud and didn't wake me in the morning and they allowed us an extended check-out.
The room was a smoking room as it was unfortunately the only one available, however when I got to the room I completely forgot it was a smoking room as there was no smell whatsoever!
They did have an extra $10 hold on my card but it was released and I was charged appropriately, just a heads up.
The room needs more outlets in the bedroom but I guess that's not something they can just change can they?
The room had a large walk in bathroom with a two person tub with adjustable jets and a separate standing shower. Overall best experience I've had at a Choice Hotel probably ever!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here while we were visiting a relative who was getting treatment at The City of Hope. The hotel is very modest (as to be expected with a Quality Inn) but it is exceptionally clean and well kept. The managers / owners are also very personable and it's clear they truly care about their guests. They asked frequently about how our relative was doing and offered support that was genuine. This made such a difference during a difficult time. I would highly recommend this hotel. It's very close to many amenities, including a Starbucks that's right next door.

• Stayed May 2013
Salem, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

The hotel is average. Would I stay here again? Yes. You can find nicer places, but I have to agree with some other reviewers, this is a motel not really an Inn. But as for Quality Inns, this place is right in the middle of the road.

It's off the 210 on Huntington. Parking really just for cars or pickups. No real spots for RVs or semi trucks. You have to go under an archway to get in.

The rooms are comfortable and clean. The beds are nice

Breakfast is basic. Cereal, waffles and hard boiled eggs, toast and muffins. Not much more than that. The breakfast room is small

The manager of the hotel was especially nice and helpful. I wish I had more to say about this place,but just want an honest review. But would I stay here again. Yes I would.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank barne125
northern california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

The clean and comfortable room was a wonderful retreat after the days at my mother's retirement community. No need to bring your own pillow, the ones there were first class. The beds are comfortable and lots of absorbent towels. The breakfast in the lobby was varied and delicious and there were complimentary USA Today newspapers. It is called an inn because that is the franchise name ~it is a first class motel. It is family owned and managed and they take pride in their business. Call for your reservation - better deal than on internet brokers.

Room Tip: I liked an upstairs room. No noise from cars leaving early in the morning.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tigerette59
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

Our family of 4 (along with many other family members) stayed here for a weekend to celebrate my great grandmothers 100th birthday. It is a motel, but nice all the same. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful, pool was clean (although small), and the rooms were fine. It's not a 5 star hotel, but a great deal for a good nights sleep. My only complaint is that the carpets could use a cleaning. Complimentary breakfast of waffles, cereal, pastries and yogurt was fresh and substantial enough to get one through to lunch. All in all a good deal

Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Haskinsfam
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

First things first -- this is a MOTEL -- it is NOT and Inn nor hotel. How on earth Choice Hotels would give it the Quality Inn label is beyond me. I admit that I should have read these Tripadvisor ratings closer to realize that.
As in any standard motel, there is a small, separate building where you check-in. In that small building, they do serve a few danish, etc., in the morning (with 2 small tables to sit at) but that off itself does not make it an "Inn"! ALL rooms are outside entrances. The exterior appears run-down. There is a second floor (which I stayed on) but just a concrete and steel (exterior) stair to get to those rooms. The room itself is decent as long as you go in realizing you are staying at an older motel. On the bright side, t has been well kept and appeared clean. As a standard motel, though, just a standard old 19 inch tube tv (no flat screens here), and of course just an area by the sink to hang a few clothes (no closet or wardrobe).
The person at checkin and checkout was very nice. All in all, I would have rated this higher if it was designated as a MOTEL so I could rate it as such. But, I am rating this as a "Quality Inn", which it definitely is not. I usually look for Inns or hotels -- those with lobbys and inside room entrances. Guess you can't trust a name anymore.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Monrovia hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monrovia
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia
Oak Tree Inn
Oak Tree Inn
#4 of 7 in Monrovia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia
Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area

Been to Quality Inn Near City of Hope? Share your experiences!