“Charming, funky, good value”

The Goose and Turrets
Ranked #1 of 2 Montara B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, CA
“Charming, funky, good value”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Our group of friends (five couples) took the whole Goose & Turrets for a Saturday night. It's 3/4 of a mile inland from the Montara Beach, a few miles north of Half Moon Bay and Moss Beach, in a nice neighborhood. The B&B has five highly stylized rooms, all comfortable and interesting, at prices that are generally below the competition, with individual room prices reasonably set to size and value, all with private bath. Afternoon tea was great, breakfast was four courses and quite good, hostess asked us for any food aversions before we arrived. Service overall was excellent, common areas and grounds most charming, and it worked well for our gathering. Only slight negative: hosts were somewhat inflexible in ways, but they have that right, and while they were traveling, we had some communication difficulties that did eventually get resolved.

Room Tip: Hummingbird is quite large for $190, Lascaux has the only bed smaller than a queen, Clipper has priv...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ArnieDonna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Campbell, California, USA
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I'm only now getting around to writing a review for the Goose and Turrets now, though we visited two years ago, for our tenth wedding anniversary. My wife and I loved the place, and we loved our hosts too. We had tea with Emily and Raymond and enjoyed talking about books, travel, food and their adventures in small plane piloting. The old house is really charming and the breakfasts were delicious. Trust their recommendations for local restaurants. We look forward to visiting again sometime soon (hopefully!).

Maryland
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Emily and Raymond are attentive without hovering. Breakfast was served at a leisurely pace with menus each morning that were fresh and prepared and served elegantly. During the days we enjoyed hiking, walks on the beach, and touring the coast. Next time we plan to play on the Bocce court at the B&B. The bed was so comfortable with luxurious linens.
Thank you for the great food, hospitality, and friendship. Our stay was delightful.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We stayed at the G&T for two days. It was a good base for our explorations of the area. Having read other reviews on this site, I thought I would add my opinion:

Don't expect high-end luxury. This is a homey place, on a back street (no highway traffic noise), full of memorabilia from the hosts' very interesting lives. Yes, it's like visiting the grandparents, but only if yours were world travelers, private pilots, raconteurs and cooked a great breakfast. Raymond and Emily were very helpful with restaurant recommendations and advice about local attractions. They have an extensive library of maps and guides to help.

The only off-note I will sound is that it's fairly easy to hear your neighbors in the next rooms. Our neighbors were not wildly noisy, but ordinary noise seems to travel through the walls.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JandFF
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 13 August 2009

If you enjoy peace and quiet off the beaten path the Goose and Turrets is for you. The building is a former post office that has been through several transformations, including a Civil War Veterans Retirement Home. I love visiting quaint buildings in small, historic places. I am an artist so I particularly enjoy painting in the gardens and adjacent lanes, with multitudes of seasonal blooms. The owners are world travelers and their collections of books, art, and memorabilia abound in the common area, giving it the feel of a small Smithsonian room in which you ARE allowed to touch. Their afternoon teas complete with companionable conversation and multi-course breakfast parties at which strangers become friends make guests feel like family. This is a very unique B&B experiience, and if you are lucky, during your stay one of the old veterans may even make an appearance to welcome.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA.
Reviewed 16 September 2008

I guess I've been spoiled by my previous B&B experiences at the Mill Rose Inn in HMB and the Pink Mansion in Calistoga, but I don't understand all the raves I've seen this place get on here and on Yelp. Sure, Raymond and Emily seem to be decent hosts, but I didn't feel the same genuine warmth from them that I did from the owners at the previously mentioned establishments. I thought the breakfasts were good, but not worth all of the hype that people were giving them. The walls, as mentioned in other reviews, were very thin and allowed you to hear clearly what was going on in neighboring rooms. The rooms, while I appreciate the lengths they took to acquire antique furnishings, was not anything esthetically exciting. The stay as a whole felt like spending the night with grandparents. The best thing about the place is the price, but even with that, I really wouldn't call it a value because if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars to stay somewhere, I would like to feel a little bit like I'm in the lap of luxury. At the Goose and Turrets, you feel more like you are just shelling out money to stay with your parents (no offense, mom...I just wouldn't expect you to charge me almost $200 per night to stay at your place).

• Liked — Even though I didn't think it deserved all of the hype it received, the food was they provided was the best part.
  • Disliked — The lack of privacy, the bed (mattress was too firm and the frame too creaky), and dust mites (I swear I got bit by a few dust mites in my room).
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Snarf_Osbert
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 16 September 2008

my husband and i wanted to get away for a last minute celebration for our two year anniversary. i don't know. maybe it's because at the time of our stay, we were the youngest people by at least twenty years, we both felt uncomfortable during our two night stay.

we felt that emily was a bit watchful- not exactly attentive, but watchful of us during most of the stay- as if we couldn't be trusted. we also felt that the innkeepers were noticeably friendlier with the other couples that were there.

the bed we had was very stiff and creaked quite a bit. i would also have to agree that the walls are indeed thin, so be prepared to give up some level of privacy.

i would give it only one star except that nobody was exactly completely rude. but when i spend money to go somewhere, i don't want the nicest thing i have to say about the place be "well, they weren't completely rude".

and the food was also a disappointment for me. the main course of the breakfasts tended to be some sort of egg souffle, which i'm not fond of. eh

• Liked — the quantity of food, perhaps
  • Disliked — weird, creepy vibe
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tongueinchic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montara
Beach House at Half Moon Bay
#4 of 6 in Pacifica
Half Moon Bay Lodge
Half Moon Bay Lodge
#3 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to The Goose and Turrets? Share your experiences!