“Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 2 Montara B&B and Inns
Austin, MN
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I wish I had read the reviews before I booked this place, but had booked it last minute and was disappointed by my experience there. I would not give it such a low rating if I had known what I was getting but felt misled by the beautiful pictures on the website and most frustrating was the fact that they did NOT HONOR MY CONFIRMATION FOR A KING SIZE BED. I handed my printout of my reservation confirmation for a "Standard King Room" but was told I was getting a Queen and that there were no rooms with King beds available. I was upset by this especially since it was my anniversary and my husband is 6'4" so I had planned for a nice evening. I told her there was a mistake and the front desk staff said she changed the mistake and sure enough, she reprinted the confirmation and handed me a new copy of their confirmation of my room with a queen size bed - not the King size that originally booked under. But seeing that I was still not satisfied she told me that if the room wasn't satisfactory, that I could go and try and find a different place and they could cancel the room for me without cancelation penalty. I thought that was a lame consolation because it was 7:30 pm on a Friday night - where were we going to find vacancy at that point? And why should I try driving all around town to find a room when I thought I had booked a nice one already?

The property was old and run down - you could call it quaint - it had some cuteness to it, but really needed some refurbishing. Our room was spacious, the queen size was adequate enough; we did not sleep great on it. The bathtub had Jacuzzi jets but it was broken and there was a sign saying that if guests turned on the Jacuzzi, they would be responsible for any damages, fined and possibly thrown out of the hotel. Romantic huh? The lid on the tank was broken, the wallpaper was peeling. Their ad in on of the Half Moon Bay Visitor's Guides said they had a pool - it doesn't. It says it had an Ocean View, I couldn't see the ocean from the property at all, just a busy highway. Breakfast consisted of bottled of OJ, fruit, and some microwaved frozen biscuits that you can buy at the grocery store down the street.

On the positive side however, the shower had nice water pressure, the sheets on the bed were nice, and the Front Desk Staff was very friendly. Our room opened onto a back shared patio, which is kind of cool. The Front Desk staff called it a "garden" which was a concrete patio with some plants - I don't think there were any flowers.

It was the cheapest room could find that night (about $114) and I was resigned to the fact that I got what I paid for. But when I checked around in Half Moon Bay I found other B&Bs comparably priced and much nicer than this place. I wouldn't come here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DAMatt
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologize your stay was not to your liking and trust me we would have done everything we could to accommodate you, but we were sold out during a busy time. We do invite you to come back and we will be happy to host another stay ~ a "do over" if you will so you can have a better experience and celebrate your anniversary. Please call me to arrange this. Our free continental breakfast is more in content than normal. With only coffee and pastries, we provide, juices, yogurt, fresh milk, cereals, fruit, pastries and array of tea and chocolate and even breakfast sandwiches. Congratulations on your anniversary and we hope you will offer us another opportunity to host your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Houston
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The place is a bit run down although I read that the suite on the top floor is remodeled. Our room needed some updating. Carpet was tired, furniture has seen it's better days. Mold in the window corners. One bed was adequate and the other was like sleeping on a table with sheets. Breakfast was nothing special. The innkeepers were very friendly and helpful. I would not stay here again though. Even the view was quite limited.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ackHouston
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologize that your stay was not comfortable or to your liking. As always, you could have informed the front desk and we would have released you from your reservation or offered another room. It's our position to make your stay pleasant and welcoming at all times. Transformations and renovations take time. Our goal is to revive this beautiful historical building to sustain it's livelihood. But as the majority of guests enjoy staying here, we understand it's not for everyone. Thank you so much again for your critique as it helps us to make changes in a positive direction. We hope you will check back now and then and see our progress of the rooms and inn. And maybe someday in the future you will come and enjoy!
From the Innkeeper, Debbie Padilla
Great Mills, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We made the mistake of booking this old dump. The ocean is not much in view but the busy highway is.The place smells bad, the furniture is worn and dirty. The carpet is scorched in several places by an electric iron. The room with two queen beds has one bed that is so hard (think box spring) that it is not possible to sleep on it. We were offered another room and two roll-away beds as an alternative but soon discovered that that room was missing a smoke alarm (wires hanging from the ceiling). When we complained about the lack of smoke alarm and mentioned the safety violation we were told to "get out" by the housekeeping woman. We asked for a refund since the hotel was prepaid through Hotels.com and were refused. If Hotels.com keeps this place on their site we will never book with them again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Edd C
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
I find it interesting you will post a review and you did not stay here? Also, you neglect to mention that you and your family were nightmares (and did not even check in). You had our front desk clerk so nervous and shaken. And, then you proceed to enter rooms that are being cleaned even after being asked to please wait. You ran up and down this inn until our housekeeper told you to please leave and was going to call the police on you! Well, I agree, NEVER too! You are not welcomed back here either. You should be ashamed of yourselves as parents to teach you children how to behave poorly while travelling. I will bet you were nightmares where ever you go. The inn may not have been to your liking, but with a courteous mention to the front desk and we would have released you from your reservation, no problem. Maybe Hotels.com should not accept your reservation any longer either. Your more suited for a log cabin in the wilderness. From the Innkeeper.

Travellers are raving about these Montara hotels

Magden, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

My son an I spent a night here before visiting San Francisco. We were surprised to see the giant room with a porch. The house is about to be carefully renovated (for some time there had been plans to tear this historic place down). Very special: the stained glass window in our room in memoriam of Frau Heidenreich whose story we found out later. We were treated very well and got some good advice.
Check out Barbara's Fishtrap at the port!

• Stayed June 2013
Washington DC
Reviewed 16 June 2013

One look at the carpeting and your first thought is to be glad to have brought flip flops - furnishings way past usefullness, let alone aesthetic value. Breakfast mediocre - - nothing fresh except some fruit - everything else vending machine quality.
It's on a congested section of highway - - there are much better choices along this very pretty coastline.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Laurie R
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Laurie, thank you for your review. As Innkeepers we constantly have to clean rugs, walls, curtain and everything to maintain a clean quality of the rooms. Often guests are so disrespectful and consider a floor a trash can. Had you come to us, we would have moved you into another room. This building is historical, it takes time to transform a very special building like this one. Having circa 1890's, in purchasing this timeless building, we have been able to save a very important piece of history for Montara and our spectacular coastline. You are right, there are many choices along this coastline, but, we pride ourselves in our oversized rooms, clean rooms and affordable pricing. Yes, like a Grandparent, it needs some attention, but with respect, love and time we will restore the beautiful European building that once was a mansion in Montara to it's original glory. For now, it's a unique experience, but clean, peaceful and very welcoming.
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 6 June 2013

It's a shambles. Rotting wood, nails jutting out of the decks, dirty carpets, and the people who work here are SCARY. It's supposedly "right on the beach" but you have to cross a very busy highway to get there. And the ocean views are there if you really crane your neck and look out over a gas station parking lot.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Nicole H
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Wow, what you forgot to mention is that you come in with a "service dog" that is not on a leash, that pooped in our lobby where we serve our breakfast, that you decide to check out after noon (check out is at 11am). That your "service dog" left hair all over the furniture and bed. When it was clear that you had no handicap to warrant a "service animal". And then you respond in this manner? Please write a review that has merit. Oh yes, and you did not mention that we allowed you an early check in as well. Nicole, you should consider yourselves scary and ill-mannered guests. All was well until I handed you a $175.00 pet cleaning fee. And as a result you are not welcomed back to this inn either. Thank you for your review!
Breckenridge, CO
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We planned ahead for a busy weekend in Half Moon Bay area and chose this B&B specifically because they offered a room with ocean view balcony and a king size bed, which we reserved and prepaid. Upon arrival, they put us in a back room with no view and a queen sized bed with a big sag in the middle. They said the inn was full and they could not honor the reserved room. They offered to release us from the reservation, which would have left us with nowhere to stay in a sold out area. They claim they are in process of upgrading the inn, but it is not apparent with the peeling wallpaper, curtains with unhemmed fraying on the bottom and old dusty furniture. Breakfast was continental style, cold and of poor quality. The hosts were n where in sight the entire time - you had to bang on a sliding glass door to their unit and wait for the yapping dog to get their attention. We would have been better off in a highway side motel! As for the view, the online photos are very misleading - the inn is across the street from the potential view and it is blocked by trees. Photos make it look like they are on a hill in a remote area, not on the main road and beside a gas station and restaurants!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dnalfil
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for your review, we appreciate the opportunity to make each guests stay enjoyable and pleasurable. Although you neglect to mention that you were given a substantial credit for the mix up in the bed type. And that you reserved a "Standard room type" and were put in a mid-range upgrade. Albeit it was not the size of bed you were expecting. And, as Innkeepers we live right on site and are available 24/7. Our little dog is not yappie as its trained to not bark.
Please be clear, you are upset because you received a queen size bed instead of a king-size bed. You were given the opportunity to go elsewhere where you decided after reviewing the room not to. And not because there was not other options which we would have graciously found for you as we have several sister properties along the coast. We would have done everything to to assist you ~ IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY. Which you did not. As for the cleaniness of the room? All our rooms are very clean and bedding brand new. Please review honestly. In the future, give the property a chance to help you with changing accommodations to your liking instead of making up everything in a negative manner. As you can see, there are many good reviews. And with as many guests that come to stay at the Ocean View Inn not listed is far more than negative. We apologize for the confusion on the bed size and made a compensation for it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montara
Beach House at Half Moon Bay
HI-Point Montara Lighthouse
Seal Cove Inn
Seal Cove Inn
#1 of 1 in Moss Beach

Been to Ocean View Inn? Share your experiences!