“Massive room in a run-down hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean View Inn

Ocean View Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Montara B&B and Inns
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Massive room in a run-down hotel”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We picked Ocean View from a web-search of possible over-night stops on our road trip south from San Francisco to Monterey. The hotel's own website gives an impression of classy luxury which was not borne out by our experience. It is right beside Highway 1 - convenient for a stop-over but this very busy road (and a grove of trees) separate the hotel from its eponymous Ocean View. Our room was enormous - with access to a balcony overlooking the carpark and highway. The furnishings were very tired and stained and the room smelled fusty. The carpet was quite repulsively dirty. The curtains were thin and white so it was difficult to maintain darkness for our 2 year old after 05:00 am. The bed was comfortable and clean. The bathroom was tiny but also clean and functional if decorated in an eccentrically grim-gothic style. The shower was a dysfunctional Jacuzzi, and we marvelled at the bizarrely aggressive notices warning of immediate expulsion from the hotel if we attempted to switch this broken behemoth on. The most disappointing aspect of our stay was the dreadful breakfast. We were given vouchers for a continental breakfast at a neighbouring café. Charles Dicken’s Mr Bumble served a more nourishing gruel than the Montara Café and Bakery’s version of oatmeal. Overall our stay was not terrible but it was very poor value for money at $139 per night. The beach at Montara is beautiful, by the way, and a much nicer spot to watch the sun go down than the balcony of the Ocean View.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nick_and_Roosa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Martinez, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The location is a definite plus as it is close to Half Moon Bay and several state parks (lots of good hiking). Though the room was big and roomy, the inn itself is very old and does need updating. They advertise "jacuzzi tubs" but there are notices at the inn and in each room that tell you not to use the jacuzzi. Continental breakfast at the cafe next door is a light continental breakfast. You can purchase additional items from the menu if you like.

Room Tip: Opt for the larger size rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Huge and comfy room; loved the little deck outside my room. Inn is in good location - easy to get around into the various beach towns. Historic building - if you want perfection, stay at the Ritz Carlton. The Inn is an excellent value, and I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Room was a great size - love the couch! Breakfast at the bakery next door was goodvalue for money. Not much going on in the town though - good little place if just passing through. Room was clean and well stocked. Wifi was quite weak.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Last weekend, I took my girlfriend (now fiance)to the Half Moon Bay area for her birthday. Little did she know I'd be proposing to her. I took her to Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, only but a few minutes away from Ocean View Inn. She said Yes! I had visited a week in advance to view this beautiful area. Despite some of the negative reviews that surrounded Ocean view, I went with my gut and reserved the ocean view penthouse. Debbie was very kind to us, and warmly welcomed us upon our arrival. When we got to our room at the third floor, and opened the door, we were overjoyed. The room was commodious, and very clean. It had a beautiful hardwood floor, and stunning view of the ocean from our own private deck just outside. The shower was wonderful and very modern. The furniture also looked brand new. We absolutely loved our stay at Ocean view Inn and will surely be back for another visit in the future. As for the negative comments, I can only conclude they belong to ungrateful and overly picky individuals. This is a historic gem, and set apart in uniqueness from the surrounding options.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Masonmontion
Cupertino, California, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at the Ocean View Inn to attend the Half Moon Bay Marathon in September - I had read a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor that initially made me a little wary about this hotel, and was pretty much expecting to have a bed to crash in; anything else would have been pretty much a bonus. I probably would have never chosen to stay here on my own accord if it weren't for the fact that there were no other hotels/B&Bs were available close by to HMB by the time I booked.

Although the place is definitely on the well-loved (read: dated) side, I was pleasantly surprised with the stay. Check-in was quick and painless, the shower water was hot, and the room was clean. In the morning, they provided coffee, juice, fruit, your typical breakfast claw pastries and some frozen breakfast sandwiches. Since one cup of coffee is never enough, I stopped by Here Comes the Sun next door and the coffee there is also excellent (for another review to come).

All in all, I'm satisfied with my stay at the Ocean View Inn - if you arrive with an open mind and clear expectations, I hope you will too!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Pacifica, California
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here last night and thought the place was adorable and a great value. We're glad we ignored some of the negative reviews and tried it out. We were lucky to stay on a night where the ocean view penthouse was free and they gave us an upgrade. We LOVED the room with its vaulted ceilings, hardwood floors, modern furniture and colorful, clean palette *ocean greens, blues and white," Lots of windows and a fantastic view from the balcony. It's over 100 years old and has a lot of history. They have a fun bakery and cafe which seems popular with the locals. I peaked into one of the ocean view Kings below and they were very nice. As for the negative reviews, I want to say that I work in the travel industry and have a couple of observations: 1) the hotel is in the process of updating the other rooms to mirror the penthouse - just awaiting permits from several commissions; they will however, restore two of the rooms in a Victorian fashion; 2) if you're expecting to have Ritz-Carlton service, amenities and elegance for $135 a night as some people on Trip Advisor seem to expect, you need a reality check. If you're willing to see beyond its wear you will see it is a charming place with unique personality, with a homey feeling and a magnificent view and cool history. The staff were very nice to us, the place was romantic and we will be back!

Room Tip: We think the best rooms were the penthouse and ocean king room #6.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pachamamajeanne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montara
Beach House at Half Moon Bay
#5 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay Lodge
Half Moon Bay Lodge
#3 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to Ocean View Inn? Share your experiences!