“fabulous location on cliff! views are fantastic. clean. parking is easy.”

HI-Point Montara Lighthouse
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Great hostel. Stayed multiple times. Nice common area and kitchen. Well run. Clean as a pin. Great option for a trip down the coast. Popular with bicyclists too. Highly recommended. Good staff. Will return again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmjesq
There are newer reviews for HI-Point Montara Lighthouse

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Best location EVER. Best view from the room EVER. The hostel is situation right on a cliff next to the ocean, with its own private cove and beach. Breathtaking! We had a private room: tiny, but well maintained, and (astonishingly) with a Tempur-Pedic mattress. We made good use of the full kitchen -- we bought a cooler of food with us and had breakfast and packed our lunches every morning. Hostel staff was kind and helpful, and unlike some hostels, there was always somebody available to answer questions or deal with whatever.

The hostel is hardly a secret with folks in the Bay Area; it's not a quiet hideaway, but a hoppin' kind of place. The manager told us that during the summer, the hostel is fully booked pretty much every night -- 50 people in; 50 people out. It's a small hostel, and with 50 people, I would imagine it feels really busy and a bit crowded, and the bathroom sharing might get somewhat intense. Consider an off-season visit, or at least visit during mid-week.

Room Tip: I recommend the private rooms, which have the best views. Per the manager, these are booked all the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnonInNv
Reviewed 21 August 2012

How many places can you stay with your own lighthouse? The grounds were beautiful, the beach at your feet and our room was very small but adequate for our needs. The three of us shared a private room--double bunk on the bottom, twin bunk on top. Outside our room was a little entry way with access to a single shower and single bathroom, which we shared with the room on our right. Fortunately, no one seemed to be competing for either at the same time. The kitchen was large, with all the pots, pans, etc. ready for use. Dining was either at the table in the kitchen or at 2 other large tables in the great room, which also had sofas, reading material and games. The staff was helpful and friendly, with hot coffee drinks ready to purchase first thing in the morning (bless them!) It had everything we needed, and the price couldn't have been better!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean--and then keep your window open at night!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed here 3 nights in the dorm - and was happy to call this home. The locaiton is great - right on the ocean and i saw a whale spout the first day i was there. Lovely grounds, big kitchen. Even when there are lots of people staying there you have room to move around. Excellent coffee - espresso machine on site - free wifi. Great staff!

Room Tip: The dorms are good but the private rooms are better - they have views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have not stayed at the hostel but here I find a small beautiful beach. If you drive in this area you can have a bed for only $22 plus tax.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Youth hostels are not what they used to be when it is time to saving money. We paid 105$ a night for a tiny private room that was very clean and comfortable, but it was basically 3 beds. There was a well equipped kitchen and the view of the light house and the coast was fantastic. Free Wi-Fi Internet. The hostel advertise that there is a hot tub, but it is 7$ per person per 30min. of usage. Kind of a rip off I found.
Overall, I would have rated this place excellent (because it was), but I find that the price is somewhat steep for what we got.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ian W
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Only 2 complaints that I have...1) I didn't have anyone to share the experience with (traveling alone to west coast for work) and 2) I couldn't stay more than one night.

This place was breathtaking. Simply stated. It's barebones, but it's a hostel, so I expected that. And honestly, I needed it! I needed a break from tv and daily luxuries and no internet in my room. It was just me and my camera. They have all new tempur-pedic mattresses and I had private room #1, which was extremely clean. Left the window open all night listening to the waves crash and it was the best sleep I had all week (coming from a pricey hotel stay)! Arrived just in time for the most amazing sunset. Everyone was extremely friendly and the lounge and kitchen were hopping the next morning as guests enjoyed their morning coffee and sharing a morning meal while exchanging stories. The wifi access was great, coffee available for $1. I WILL be back and bringing my husband with me!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montara
Beach House at Half Moon Bay
#3 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
Pacifica Beach Hotel
Pacifica Beach Hotel
#3 of 6 in Pacifica

Been to HI-Point Montara Lighthouse? Share your experiences!