“Salad need improvement”

Don Jose's
Ranked #1 of 96 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I ordered a $12 salad for lunch and could not believe that most of the greens were iceberg lettuce. Who serves iceberg lettuce at restaurant anymore? The orange vinaigrette was good but appeared to have only been placed on a few lettuce leaves. The grilled chicken was the only redeeming item on the salad.

1  Thank LauraV9132013

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Good good and the waiters are very attentive. The bar area and karaoke music is a fun place. They have a good choice of food and good service. Not too crowded most of the time.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

On a recent visit with family in that area we went to Don Jose's. I have to say that what my dish was average. The guacamole had very little flavor, which was a shame, because this dish had lots of it. I understand that this is usually a very good place to go, but my first and last experience with it wasn't good. Also, to top it off a nail was sticking out of one of the chairs, and it caused a scratch on my cousin, but although we reported it, no one ever came back to check and make sure all was ok. Sorry, I won't be back if/when I visit my relatives out there again.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

The food here is pretty good! The waiters are prompt, courteous and efficient. Great portions of quality Mexican food, consistently well prepared. I had the chicken enchilada and Beef taco combination plate last night could not complain about anything. On Tuesdays from noon to 2:00 the have a throw back specials for $2.00. The salsa with the home made style chips were good. Don Jose also makes the best deep fried ice cream I have ever tasted. For the First Timer go and order what you normally do at another Mexican restaurant and see what you think, you'll be surprised how good this place is. They have a full bar here. You can order a great flavored margarita here and its not watered down.

1  Thank RetiredIBEW
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Our family like this restaurant so much they ate here twice.