“Hidden Treasure in the Redwoods”

Village Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 5 Monte Rio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stumbled onto this enchanting inn and had a wonderful experience. The rooms, gardens, and entire property is absolutely charming, obviously decorated and cared for with a loving touch. Beautiful gardens, comfortable rooms, warm and friendly innkeepers, giant redwoods right outside our window, cozy nook for continental breakfast, what more could you ask?

We had planned to camp that night, but tent and clothes were wet from an all day rain. All we needed was a room, and instead, we found an experience that was a highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank homebydawn

Reviewed 17 February 2012

This was THE most beautiful place. Pure magic.
Our room was cozy and immaculate and the view was pure bliss. The River was right in front of us, and having a glass of wine on the lawn before dinner was truly an event--very peaceful, restful, with plenty of charm to spare!
Also, we did some great wine tasting at small wineries tucked along the Russian River.
Our entire experience was perfect.

Room Tip: The suites are terrific. Dine in a window seat and watch the river go by--chef is terrific.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I was staying down the road at another property and decided to have dinner at this restaurant. It was really a pleasant surprise. Wait staff was very attentive, friendly and accommodating. The food was quite good as well. The escargot was average and the steak au poivre was excellent (as was the sides). Overall it was a great experience. I ended up staying there for the night and was offered a great last minute rate for a room overlooking the river. The property was well maintained and very charming.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We lucked out and were given Room G, a spacious. light room, with windows galore and french doors leading out to a spacious sunny deck overlooking the Russian River and redwoods in front, and the the lawn, beautiful lodge main building, decks and gardens from the other windows. A wonderful, seductive love seat overlooking the River and redwoods and swimming ducks was perfect for relaxing, reading and just enjoying the fabulous view and environment when the sun went down. This room had easy access to lodge and lovely restaurant, up a short ramp, which serves a continental breakfast in charming surroundings and offers well-priced food and lovely, attentive service in a lovely restaurant overlooking the River and beautiful redwoods. Can hardly wait to return again for more relaxation in beautiful, warm, peaceful surroundings and a good night's sleep in a very comfortable bed and the sounds of birds and ducks in the morning to greet you.

Room Tip: AbsolutelBook "G" for a beautiful view, a large sunny deck overlooking the Russian RIver...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2011

The Village Inn is so much fun and relaxing. The owners Mark and Phillip are the best, friendly and helpful with anything and everything. The Russian River views are great and with the restaurant and bar you never have to leave.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Might have gotten their best room, ("G"), but we loved ours. It was spacious, with French doors, and private deck with a beautiful, expansive view of the Russian River. Very quiet, and with a comfortable bed. We met friends (locals) for dinner--it's one of their favorite places. All four of our dinners were excellent, but the (special) rack of lamb was just perfect. Great wine list and reasonable prices. Thank you, Mark and Philip.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2010

I apologize in advance if this review sounds harsh...

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at the Village Inn. Upon arrival, we walked up into the small lobby area and were immediately overwhelmed with a horrible smell. I can't quite pinpoint the smell - old, musky, mildew-ish mixed in with the smell of food from the restaurant. Next, we were given our key and told our room was in the lodge with a river view and balcony. We went up another flight of steps lugging our bags (warning - no elevator or bell hop in this place - be prepared to climb steps with your suitcase) and entered our room. The smell in our room was the same as the lobby, but the staff must have sprayed cheap air freshener to lessen the oder. So add that to the smell - old musky, food, freesia-esque. Quickly glancing in the room I was appalled at the small size. The carpet looked as if it has been installed 10 years ago - very cheap with the corners not meeting the edge of the room. There were stains all over, absolutely disgusting. I am by no means a neat-freak, but I can honestly say that I did not let my bare feet touch the carpet one time during the stay. On to the bathroom... I wish I had taken pictures to capture it. Let's just say that my college dorm bathroom was bigger and nicer. The shower is a stand up stall, very small and difficult to shave legs. The water pressure and temperature were actually good. Sitting on the toilet I had to turn my legs so as to not hit the sink. There was a flimsy sliding door to separate from the rest of the room. The "balcony" door had a sign saying not to enter because it was "under construction." I opened the door anyway and saw a 5'X5' wooden balcony that was covered with bugs and filth. Given, beyond that was the river, so that was nice. When choosing rooms I had envisioned sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine. Not so much. The balcony wouldn't hold a dog safely. On to the bed. The bed was actually very comfortable. My husband and I slept reasonably well. We did have to listen the the beat of the restaurant music directly below our room until 11 or 12 PM. The walls in this place are paper-thin. I could hear when the adjacent room flushed a toilet or coughed or talked. Not to give too much info, but my husband and I did not feel comfortable participating in any "romantic activities" while in this room out of fear that others could hear us. Keep that in mind if any of you are honeymooners.

Pros: Good patio area by the river, decent location to Guerneville and the coast. Maybe the rooms outside of the lodge are better.

Overall, I could have found a much nicer place for $200/night. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Jenner
Cottages on River Road
Cottages on River Road
#3 of 12 in Guerneville

Been to Village Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!