“Has more downs than ups”

Quality Inn & Suites Montebello
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Montebello
Visalia
“Has more downs than ups”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed here on a free night so if you get what you pay for, I shouldn't complain. If I was paying to stay here I'd probably rate this a 2 rather than 3. First the good, the breakfast had a great selection of hot foods in adequate supply. There was an employee present stocking the French Toast, bacon, sausage and eggs to make sure everyone got some without long waits. Plenty of breakfast seating. The bed was comfortable. Convenient location.

The not-so-good: the hallways were not air conditioned at all. It was 75-80 outside but the hallways felt 90 on the night of check in and were just as hot in the morning. The room was also very hot. Fortunately the air conditioning worked but was a wall unit that was not sufficient to cool the large room quickly. Coming from the CA Valley where it was 100 I was looking for some relief, not a room that was hotter than my home. It took until morning for the room to finally be almost comfortable temperature. I estimate it dropped from 90 to 80, still not preferred, but better. Fortunately the bed was close to the wall/AC but the far end of the room near the bathroom was still hot which made it uncomfortable getting ready in the morning. The pool looked nice but was crowded with people. The water was freezing and no towels at the pool. When I informed the front desk about no towels, the agent kind of shrugged and said they ran out because of how busy the hotel was.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VisaliaShaun
Quality_Montebello, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Montebello, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for leaving your valued feedback regarding our property.
We will be looking into the AC issues pointed out, on the other hand we are glad you enjoyed the breakfast selections available.

Please visit us again soon when in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Situated just off I-5 south Slauson Ave. Exit this hotel location is very convenient with Starbucks across the street ( for strong coffee lovers such as myself ), Denny's for breakfast lovers within walking distance and only 2mi. From my delivery point. Nice clean roons, powerhouse shower ( a must for me ), hot Breakfast though I'd rather eat at Denny's and get the good exercise. Value, paid $79.99 for a Saturday stay over. Not bad for L.A. standards. Sum up. Great locations, clean comfortable beds and room, powerhouse shower and Micro- fridge equipped. Would recommend to anyone. JBG

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank yaacovlev7
Quality_Montebello, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Montebello, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you very much for your candid comments about our hotel.
We are glad you found the room to be well appointed and inviting.
We look forward to your next stay with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had to move from my room since there was NO power at 1:42am. The other room I was moved into had no power in the bathroom, so we had to bathe in the dark! The next day I couldn't get into my room as they keys did not work and I was told that I am not assigned to any room! I had to argue and explain over and over again what happened before I got helped. So my personal belongings were in the room and it was not assigned - thankfully all our things were still there! The power finally came on, after a simple circuit breaker switch - which took them a day and a half to figure out. The maid either never cleaned my room, or didn't give us clean towels on a daily basis and we were there for 10 days! The maid had the nerve to throw out my personal soap, medicated body wash, face wash and shower cap. I asked for a clean comforter since I accidentally spilled my drink and was told there were none at the moment. So that means either they never clean the sheets or comforters and keep the same ones on (which I believe) or they are not cleaning them as often as they should - disgusting! The refrigerator in my room had a nasty smell and after looking under the fridge I found chicken bones and old wings! Every day I had an issue and it was so horrible and I wish I could have left BUT I was on vacation and it was fully paid for so I was stuck! Internet sucked, breakfast was free but cold and drinks watered down. No safe in the room so I felt weird to leave my personal belongings there. Customer service was just SOOOO bad, and not helpful at all. Then there was a pool party and hotel guests were invited but it looked more like a gang banger get together than an actual pool party. Everyday there was something going on and it was never good as much as I tried to stay positive, but it didn't work. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yhazmyn
Quality_Montebello, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Montebello, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback regarding to our hotel. I'm certainly disappointed that your recent stay was not up to expectation.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused, I've addressed the service and operational issues with the appropriate department and to take corrective actions.
Oregon, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We go to Los Angeles every 4 months, we usually stay in Bell Gardens at the comfort suites but they were booked for this stay so we stayed at this one. It was not an easy stay at first due to the fact that their boilers went out so there was no hot water for our first two days. The staff was exceptional during this, they were as accommodating as could be in this situation, offered very good discounts or cancellations without charge. They also made extras out of the kitchen for breakfasts such as triangle sandwiches. By the end of the second day everything was up and running and it was spectacular, so much so that we canceled our stay at another hotel and extended it here. Breakfast was more than expected with Bacon, sausage, frenchtoast and many many more selections. The frontdesk clerks were extremely friendly and so was their manager. I applaud the way they handled their little "crisis" and made sure the manager knew that one desk clerk in particular deserved an extra pat on the back. This has now become our LA Hotel, it is very convenient for us and we are going back on the 21st.

Room Tip: Depending on your preference, if you aren't into the night life, Request a room on the upper flo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
We are greateful for your understanding in this matter. Our staff is trained to assist and minimize any inconvinience to our guest and we are glad this was the case during your stay.

We thank you for your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Hotel was booked for us by tour arranger - tour4fun. We had 2 stays there during our US West Coast tour. Had it left to us we would have avoided this hotel. Rooms were ok with all facilities. Bathroom was very small. We had mixed experience of staff behavior. On first stay, check in staff was non cooperative, however, other than that staff approach was good. On second stay there was lot of noise due to music played at some party in the hotel. Thank God it stopped before 9 pm.It was surprising that morning breakfast with Chinese food with good number of items was free but other with very less items was chargeable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Quality_Montebello, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Montebello, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
We appreciate your candid comments regarding your past stay.

Please note our hotel does have a Bar & Lounge as indicated on our website. Occasionally there are special events, which our guest are welcomed to join free of charge. We apologize if the music was too loud; the music is lowered at 7pm and as stated ends at 9pm. In regards to the check-in, for future references please have your Tour4fun voucher ready upon check-in, as this company strictly requires for an itinerary voucher to be collected by the front desk. If the voucher is not presented, the front desk must call the agency to verify the booking, which may cause delays. You may also opt to book with the property direct for future reservations.

On the other hand we are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and hope to see you again soon!

Quality Inn Suites/Montebello
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of Seagull bus tour company (which was terrible in itself) and this place is AWFUL!!!! Rooms themselves were ok but customer Service - terrible. 'Free hot' breakfast is cold. 'Free' WiFi rarely connects if ever and the area is unsafe using the employees words. No safe in the room and front desk offers it for free but only has 6 boxes available for over 100 rooms. Just don't do it. Pay the money to stay somewhere closer to action and is safer.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valued insight.

We apologize for the bad experiences you encountered during your previous stay. In regards to the wifi and breakfast, please do not hesitate to inform the front desk of any issues or short-comings and we promise we will do our best to better accommodate you.

Please be informed the location of our property is safe, yet our front desk encourages guest whom are Tourist or Foreigners to exercise safe travelling practices, including but not limited to not leaving the hotel at night without a tour guide.

I hope you would reconsider using our hotel again when visiting Los Angles, CA in the future, as we would like to show you the excellent service we are capable of providing.

Quality Inn & Suites/Montebello
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I ended up at the Quality Inn as the accommodation formed part of a tour package.

Location is poor, with the hotel situated in the down town part of Los Angeles, some 20 km from tourist attractions.
Transportation by cab will cost you an arm and a leg should you want to get to a better part of town. I did not feel comfortable walking the streets of Montebello at night while looking for a dinner restaurant. There is a diner some 200m from the hotel which serves half decent food, but other than that, their is little else within walking distance.
On arrival at the hotel, I was surprised to find a racous corporate function party taking place, the festivities of which had spilled into the lobby. The receptionist required that I shout to make myself heard. I requested to placed in a room as far away from the noise as possible which was done. The partido was over by 9pm as promised.
Only one of the two elevators were functional, and I found it quicker to use the stairs for the two night stay.
My room came with a fridge and microwave ( a nice touch I think ), tv, working ac and free wifi ( handy).
The pillows are great; not those nasty ones which wrap themselves around your head and give you a headache.
Decor is tired and dated. My bedspread had a tear in it and the bedroom carpet had a wet and sticky patch on it.
Barring these two items, the general state of the room and bathroom was nice and clean.
The bedroom lacked an electronic safe, which in my opinion is mandatory.
Breakfasts are served with flimsy plastic knives and forks which makes eating a nightmare.
To sum up, if you're a tourist or doing business in the city, give this one a miss.
I don't know if I was just plain lucky, but because of the layout of the ground floor ( they tend to have disco's or karaoke most nights), I could easily see how noise may be a problem if you're trying to sleep.

Would I visit again? Not if I had any say in the matter.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tony A
qualityinnsuites, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Montebello, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Mr. Tony A:

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and the candid feedback.

Please accept our sincere apology for the bad experiences you encountered in particular to the loud music from a Banquet event, and the closure of one of the elevators for annual repairs and maintenances.

On the plus side, it's gratifying to note that you enjoyed our in-room amenities and the comfort of our signature soft pillows.

I hope you would reconsider using our hotel when visiting Los Angles, CA in the future.

Quality Inn&Suites/Montebello
Montebello, CA 90640
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Montebello
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Commerce
Quality Inn & Suites Bell Gardens
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino
Quality Inn Near Downey Studios

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Montebello? Share your experiences!