“Very pleased.”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I had some concerns after reading some of the negative reviews. But um, I was more than pleased. Everyone, about 8 I encountered with, were very attentive and helpful. We got a free upgrade to a partial ocean view on the first night. Out the french door was a big terrace shared with a few other rooms. It faces the ocean. It was almost like a private terrace since nobody was there. Upon our request, we moved to a full ocean view room on the 2nd nite. The room is kinda small. But no complaints here since they were all award nites. There is a picture on the hotel web site that is kinda deceiving. It shows the bath is 'open aired'. I thought I could enjoy the ocean view in the bath tub. Kinda a disappointment. But I can live without it. There is a CVS one block away. I bought 2 bottles of wine. Much cheaper than the hotel bar. The internet is free in the business center in case you dont want to cough up $10/day for the in-room internet.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1001oaks
There are newer reviews for InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Reviewed 21 May 2011

Stayed here over the Christmas holiday. The Intercontinental Clement is in a great location, right on the Cannery and facing the ocean. It was so nice opening the balcony window to the waves and ocean below. Only drawback was the high valet parking - do not self park because it is 2 blocks away (can't bring the luggage back and forth) - about $22 and internet charges of $15. But the valet service people were very polite and friendly. It was raining heavily a few nights there and the electricity went out on and off. I was taking a shower and washing my hair in total darkness. It blew out my macbook charger - I told the front desk and he had no reaction (I think his name was Tony). I ended up having to buy another one when I got home. Go to the Fish Hopper next door for dinner - clam chowder is the best. We went twice.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank historyteacher50
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Booked and prepaid for room using an online discount website. Even with the discount, the rooms are quite pricy. My stay was for 5 days, and at check in, I was told that the incidental rate was something that I thought was excessive. They agreed to lower it, but the attitude of the manager and reception staff was condescending and rude. Nothing is free at this hotel, including internet, parking, etc. The hotel and room as a whole, are top shelf and the location is superb. Th remainder of staff that I dealt with especially the folks in The C Bar and Restaurant, were outstanding. Luis S., a bartender was very professional and courteous. Also Lyndsy G. was really friendly and entertaining. They both made my stay an enjoyable one. Despite the experience with the reception staff, I would still recommend this hotel with one piece of advice - - even with a discounted rate, prepare for additional high incidental rates and costs.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank mh061993
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The parking was a little bit chaotic (self parking is down the road), and the check-in friendliness was adequate, the room pleasantly decorated. Pool was perfectly heated (yet clearly for laps only), and the jet spa seated 5. We purchased the Monterey Bay Aquarium package which included 2 adult tickets to the Aquarium. My only hangup with this hotel, perhaps due to my own misunderstanding, was that we were charged $21 for the sea otter stuffed animal that had been placed in our room. I mistook it for a part of the package deal. I didn't ask the question, however I didn't even consider I would be charged for it as a incidental. This could have been clearer.

Room Tip: Ocean view means a lot less walking.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria_Lopez_9
Reviewed 14 May 2011

A gorgeous hotel with fantastic views in Monterey. We only stayed one night, but I would have loved to say there for much longer.

Pluses:
Everything is fantastic here - location, service, views, variety of restaurants
Location - right on cannery row, right by the ocean with fabulous views, there's a great F&B outlet within the hotel, but if you choose to eat outside of the hotel, there's lots of choices within a short walking distance. In fact, we had a fantastic meal (steakhouse) that is totally value for money at the Whaling Station less than 10mins walk from the hotel.
Room - We had the King Deluxe room, even comes with a fireplace, and a small little balcony, just good enough to stand outside. And the most gorgeous direct view of the water with completely no blockage. You can sit inside your room and look out on a beautiful day and catch sight of sea otters, even schools of dolphins. The view is pure relaxation!
The F&B outlet has a bar, service was pretty alright, but to sit outside on a chilly night with a fireplace that heats up, stand up heaters right behind you, and blankets to keep you warm.

Minuses:
I can't think of any!

Room Tip: Pay for a room with ocean view. Totally worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JazzyJas
Reviewed 10 May 2011

The hotel is clean, bright, roomy and comfortable. Staff is friendly and helpful. I would have nothing bad to say except that they market the rooms as having a 'partial ocean view', which is completely false. The room faces an inner courtyard so to see the ocean you have to step out on a 'balcony' - which is a steel plate about 8 inches wide - and look hard to the side. Instead of coming away feeling good about our stay, I felt like I had been manipulated by marketing efforts. The hotel is so nice, they don't need to play that game - it's disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank cherabeara
Reviewed 8 May 2011

we booked a room on our anniversary for a night and paid extra big bucks for an ocean view room when we got there the room we got was at the back of the hotel facing canary row. we complaint about it and they maid us wait for 2 hours when we only had 3 hours of day light left to enjoy the ocean view than they said they don,t have ocean view room even though we booked the hotel 3 weeks a go so we went to an other hotel and decided never choose that hotel again they did not do any thing to fix there mistake such an attitude.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple