“Next to the water” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Singapore, Singapore
“Next to the water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed in a suite with a sofabed so could fit 2 adults and 2 kids. Suite was big.

Likes
1. Great location by the water next to the Aquarium.
2. Huge room
3. Excellent service

Dislikes
1. Chargeable wifi ($10/day)
2. Plain rooms with no water boiler
3. No balcony for a suite which is a pity since it is next to the water

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear japanlover1972, I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us, and were able to spread out in one of our ocean front suites. I hope we will see you again soon!
Best wishes,
John C. Turner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Lake Oswego, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is an expensive hotel that charges $9.95 per day for internet access. We often stay in Best Western and DoubleTree hotels where internet access always free. It is even free at a local greasy spoon where I live!!!

This is the 21st century were people live on the internet. Charging for it at a hotel, especially at $9.95, is outrageous!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Char K
Dear Char K, Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Monterey. I regret that you were inconvenienced by a service charge, but am pleased to advise that beginning January 1, internet access will be complimentary for all members of the IHG Rewards program. IHG Rewards is free to join, and allows members to earn points by staying with IHG affiliate properties. Thank you again, and I hope we will see you again soon here in Monterey.
Best regards,
Santa Ynez, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We were here for a conference and it was perfect. The location right on Cannery Row made it easy to get to restaurants and shopping. The partial ocean view room still had a great view and was very well done with comfortable beds. Bathroom was luxurious with tub and big free standing shower. Every, and I mean every, staff member we came into contact with during the weekend was firendly, courteous and went out of their way to make our stay more comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed here for just one night, unfortunately, but then a week later, I went back with my best friend! This hotel is WONDERFUL!

On my first visit, we had a two room / two bath suite! The girls slept on a pull out couch with fireplace. It was nice that they had their own bathroom and shower!! We had an enormous bedroom with a roomy bathroom complete with every amenity! I can't say enough about the quality of this hotel! We had a balcony overlooking the ocean, which is where we ate dinner! When I went back, I took my friend to Bubba Gump, which is next door. The crab stuffed mushrooms were AMAZING! We split the scampi...OMG! SO good!

You cannot go wrong staying here! Top notch service. Beautiful hotel!!

Eat breakfast dowstairs at C Restaurant and Bar! Delicious!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Latotusca, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visits, and thank you for mentioning our “top notch” associates! There is plenty more to see and do here on Cannery Row, so please don’t wait too long to return.
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Right in the center of the waterfront part of monterey, this hotel was not only well-located but quite lovely. Nice lobby area and lounge. My room had a fireplace in it which was a very pleasant surprise. The bathroom was large and had a separate shower and a large tub. Everything was clean and comfortable. It is walking distance from many restaurants and very close to the monterey aquarium.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Really great hotel. Friendly nice staff. Decor is up to date and everything is comfortable. We didn't bother upgrading to a room with an ocean view and still enjoyed our stay overlooking Cannery Row.

The only reason I didn't give this hotel full stars is because of an annoying habit housekeeping has of knocking on the door every morning at 9am to check if we have left the room! I found this irritating and wish there was an automated system to stop this happening. Most other hotels world over manage to work this out without a knock on the door.

We had a snack in the restaurant and it was good. The service was excellent.

Room Tip: A fireplace adds a cosy touch.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear neonstar, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize that were disturbed in the morning, and I will meet with our Housekeeping management team to discuss our protocols. I do hope we will see you again very soon!
Best wishes,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I'm a bit critical of this place because it's an Intercontinental and the rooms can run $400-$500/night, and as such I expect a certain level of quality. Therefore I'm mentioning some things here that I would probably let slide in a lower-level brand. To be sure, this is a very nice hotel in a can't-be-beat location, but I must admit it's showing signs of wear and tear, specifically the carpets and hallways. It feels like it was an amazing property about 15 years ago. They cater toward weddings and large crowds, less toward families (example, the pool is a very small lap pool). Overall it's not a bad place but I expected more based on my other stays at Intercontinentals.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the front building (over the water); although more expensive, the rooms are much n...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family