“Great for business, diving & family”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I enjoy the IC every time I have to work in Monterey. I also enjoy it for a weekend diving getaway.

Location: in the middle of Cannery Row. 3-5 min walk to the aquarium, Starbucks & best restaurants in town. 5-10 min drive to Breakwater, 20 to Point Lobos.

Customer Service: 2 thumbs up to the IC team.

Rooms: very comfortable. I've stayed in ocean front, balcony & the cheapest rooms. All are great!

Restaurant: nothing spectacular. I highly recommend yelping brunch and dinner spots.

Spa: no sauna, steam room or spa hot tub. You can use the hotels outdoor pool and hot tub. Maybe this is ok for others but I prefer a private one for a quiet spa day.
I had a facial, body scrub & massage.
Each service was nice & relaxing. The hotel offered this as a special. My only real/silly issue was the locker key. It was attached to a bell the size of a Christmas ornament. Nothing like walking around naked in a robe with a huge ball in the pocket where my privates are. Silly.. I know. But silly enough to irritate me.

More diving info: I know the IC may not sound ideal with all our gear but it is so nice to throw all your wet gear right from your car to a cart. And more importantly, I love a nice comfy bed after diving :-)

2 thumbs up to the IC.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Excellent hotel located right on, and partly over, the water. The decor is very modern, including the lobby staircase that tries to make you feel like you're underwater. My room on the fourth floor was quite large, decorated in an attractive sort of beige-minimalist scheme. The staff members whom I encountered were all energetic and eager to please.

The location of the hotel is something to pay attention to. It is a couple doors down from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. But this stretch of Cannery Row, the street on which the hotel is located, has been taken over by t-shirt shops, pizza parlors, trinket stores, chain restaurants and the like. It really is tourist central, and there’s nothing or next to nothing left of the seafood center that made the street famous in its heyday. As far as I could see, that is true of all parts of Cannery Row’s mile-long length. Many, maybe even most, of the current buildings on the street are purpose-built to serve the tourist trade. Aside from the aquarium, staying here is like booking a room in the middle of a tourist trap, albeit a nicely located one.

Monterey's historic fishermen's wharf, on which a number of restaurants and sea tours are located, is a mile to the east and out of reasonable walking range. That also is the location of Monterey's collection of historic buildings from California's early days.

Notable, though, is the Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail, a many-miles-long walking-jogging-cycling trail that parallels the coast. You can catch it a half-block uphill from the hotel. While you don’t have to stay at this hotel to enjoy the trail, it offers some absolutely spectacular shoreline scenery for runners.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank glendale-member
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Glendale-member, I am pleased you enjoyed your visit, and found time to walk the adjacent recreational trailway. Vehicle free and family friendly, many of our guests enjoy a relaxing walk along the coast. We hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed 5 days here, it's nice and very convenient location. I don't think I would pay the normal ( up to $300/night ) for it but we got a good deal for it. The beds were nice and soft. Shower and separate tub nice to have with kids. Kid friendly hotel, only problem I would say we had was we didn't want room service while we were there. Room service called every day to ask if we needed anything, but never sent them up. At the end of the day(s), we had to call and request the items a second time.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My wife and I stayed there last weekend
Room and service was first class. Staff goes out of their way to help.
The location is right on Cannery row with amazing views of the bay.
We are foodies and ended up eating in the hotel restaurant C -
quality farm to table (complex) food. excelent and not over the top expensive
Have a coctail on the deck overlooking the bay first
really no need to valet park - ask to self park and save

Room Tip: get a bay view and whatch the dolphins and otters from your room bring bincoculars
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear traveler1111sf, Thank you for your kind remarks, and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and our C Restaurant + Bar. I hope you won’t wait too long to return!
Best wishes,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This place had some of the best service I have ever experienced! Every single person I came across that worked at the hotel went out of their way, was exceptionally friendly and had a big smile on their face. I had the partial ocean view room and it was very modern and absolutely spotless. I originally called the Monterey Plaza to book a room, but they had a two night minimum, so I booked a room at this place. I have now found my new favorite Cannery Row hotel! Highly Recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear davidsantacruz, We were pleased to have you visit from nearby Santa Cruz, and appreciate your remarks about our location and associates. I do hope we will see you again very soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed one night as we travelled the coast. Very nice room though quite small. From a comfort standpoint it was very quiet though that may have been because we were across the street, up the elevator, down at the end of the hall and backing onto a walking path. Not complaining as we booked through a third party so doing it again I would book directly through the hotel. Staff was friendly and welcoming and the hotel is within steps of the aquarium, nice restaurants, bars and attractions. Would chose this hotel again. Did not get the opportunity to dine there as there were multiple choices close by that we went to.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear PKS6636, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your quiet location overlooking the vehicle-free recreational trailway. I hope you won’t wait too long to return!
Best wishes,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

There are so many things to like about this hotel, from its fantastic location to the marine-themed art pieces and friendly service. The views from the restaurant and meeting rooms are amazing, and the peace and quiet of the Pacific Ocean is literally just a step away from all the shops and restaurants (and aquarium) of Cannery Row, From the bridge connecting both sides of the hotel, one can even take a moment to savor the bustling crowd while staying within the comfort of the property. There is a light sculpture above the steps leading from the lobby, which is one of the many art pieces that lend an air of sophistication to the hotel. The rooms are clean, nice and very comfortable.

This really is a lovely hotel and would be an excellent choice for either pleasure or work.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear KhimLee, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit, and noted some of our coastal themed art and decorations. As you noted, our sky bridge is a perfect place to observe the activity on Cannery Row. I hope we will see you again very soon.
Best regards,