“Perfect place to stay, Amazing Service”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Perfect place to stay, Amazing Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

My husband and I spent a week in Monterey and our stay at this hotel truly made the trip perfect. The location is great- right on the water and walking distance to everything. We did not rent a car, yet still felt like we had access to everything we wanted to do. I was planning our trip from the East Coast and knew little about the area. The hotel concierge, Misty, was phenomenal. I called ahead with questions and she was incredibly patient and took a lot of time to give me great travel advice. She even remembered me when we arrived and helped with numerous other questions that we had. Our room was right on the water- you wake up and can hear seals and seagulls from your window. The entire staff went above and beyond to accommodate us and gave us great advice about things to do and places to eat. The rooms were spotless and the hotel restaurant served great food with an amazing view of the water. When we think back on this amazing trip, I believe our choice to stay at the Intercontinental will be at the center of our great experience.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a room on the water- completely worth it if you are making the trip al...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Carolinem65182, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am delighted you found our associates to be friendly and helpful. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and hope to see you both again very soon.
Best wishes,
John C. Turner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Almost two months before our wedding, we reserved a king room with a fireplace and ocean view through the official intercontinental service number for approximately $400 an evening (for 3 nights). We explained that this was an important time given our wedding, and that the room needed to be as indicated. Over six weeks later, at check-in, and three days before our wedding, we were informed that the room was in the 2nd building across the street with direct views of the valet parking, Bubba Gump Shrimp, and then the ocean. When asked to change rooms, particularly given the high nightly rate, we were told that the hotel was completely booked. When asked if we could upgrade to a suite, we were told that they began at the price that we were paying, however, we could not upgrade. Five minutes later, another patron was told by the manager that he could change rooms the next evening and "would be taken care of".
Given no choice but to check-in, we arrived in our room and understood that city views meant a view of Bubba Gump and the valet parking lot where our car was parked. We called the main intercontinental number and they were shocked at how we were treated. They intervened with the hotel on our behalf, were told that the hotel would make amends and resolve this issue immediately. Over an hour later, no one contacted us or advised us that they were working on this issue. Over two hours later, we found an alternate property and checked out. The hotel didn't even try to offer an alternative when we indicated that we would check-out. Instead, David V. quipped "we will not charge you for the two hours that you were here". Thank you, David V. for not charging me for the two hours that I spent in the room and on the phone with the corporate office, imploring them to teach you how to deal with customers.
Days later, after we were informed by the corporate office that the general manager would be reaching out, we received no follow-up or outreach. When we informed the corporate office, apparently the hotel misinformed the corporate office that they 1) tried to resolve our situation and 2) called us days later. Neither occurred. Given the hundreds of nights that my husband and I have collectively spent in hotels in the U.S. and around the world, we were shocked at the level of unprofessionalism and lack of integrity which this property openly displays. It's unfortunate that the brand need be associated with your unprofessionalism. Thank you for demonstrating that customer service is not a priority, and that some are worthy of upgrades/ room changes while others are forced to check-out to find more suitable arrangements, especially 3 days before their wedding. Finally, thank you for trying to cover up your poor behavior with the corporate office. Fortunately, we kept a record of every individual with whom we spoke over the week and provided names, times, and an overview of the discussion. Note also that your own managers conceded to the corporate office that no other remedies were available before they asked you to consider a creative solution. Each time that we called the corporate office, it was obvious and apparent that you had done nothing to address our concerns. Minimal integrity is usually critical for any business relationship. Thank you for demonstrating to us and to your corporate team that it's fully lacking at this location.

Room Tip: Recommend that you confirm in writing that you will have a room that is in the main building and not...
16 Thank NicoleIB
Dear NicoleIB, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I regret that the reserved room type did not meet your expectations. If you wish to discuss this directly with me, please feel free to contact me at jturner@pahotel.com. Best wishes for your future travels.
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

For a stay in Monterey the loction is perfect, smack in the middle of it. Rooms are beautiful and service first class, as always with InterContinental. Valet parking a bit expensive but that seems to be the case all along the west coast. Spa has a small lap pool and a hot tub and maybe isn't the greatest in the world but good enough for a quick swip and some relaxing.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I organized a big dental retreat with Dolores and her team. Every detail was phenomenal, from the happy hour reception to the banquet we had on Sat. night. The team worked hard to give us an over the top experience. And being in Monterey on Cannery Row doesn't hurt. They even provided 2 days for the price of one to the Monterey Bay Aquarium!!! Thanks for the great time, and sorry it's taken so long to submit this review.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark Z
Dear Mark Z, It was nice to hear from you, and I am pleased that your retreat was a success. I hope we will see you all here again!
Best regards,
Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed with my family. It is so close to all of the local attractions. Arcades across the street, museum down the road and wine tasting across the courtyard. Great location, great staff and good value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Howard R
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here using points. The hotel was wonderful! We had a lovely room with a nice view of the ocean (and a courtyard of sorts). We also had a fireplace in our room, which we used at night since it was a bit chilly. The room was large and the bathroom was luxurious. The free bottled water in the room was a nice touch. And, since we are IHG Platinum members the internet fee ($9.95 per day) was waived. Parking was $23 for either self-parking or valet (we did self-parking) but you have to pay to park almost anywhere around there. The location of the hotel truly can't be beat! There is a wonderful walking path right by the hotel (just walk past the aquarium, which is practically next door to the hotel, and follow Ocean View Blvd). We also had some wonderful meals at The Fish Hopper (next door), the Sea Harvest (a couple blocks away), and Crepes of Brittany (at Fisherman's Wharf). The scenery everywhere in Monterey/Carmel is just so beautiful! Don't miss Pt. Lobos if you are in the area. It is an amazing place to hike around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear AtlantaAngel17, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and we are happy to have you as members of our IHG Rewards program. Whether you are earning or using points, we will always be happy to see you here in Monterey!
Best wishes,
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My teenage son and I rated the hotels that we stayed at on our week long tour of CA which began in San Fran with overnights in Monterey, Pismo Beach, L.A. and San Diego. He rated this hotel a 9 and when I asked why, he said "the service!"

Absolutely. The stay began with me jumping the curb on the way to the hotel. This caused me and the valet to enjoy a good minute long belly laugh. We arrived around 10 pm and were greated warmly by the valet and the front desk staff. The bell man who took us to the room (if I recall correctly was also the person who checkd us in), was so friendly and helpful. The hotel was quiet (apparently we had just missed the Easter chaos). The rooms were modern and beautiful. The decor is neutral and tastefully done. There was tremendous space between my bed and my son's bed (which is important for a teen boy travelling with his mom) so we each felt like we had some privacy. Each room (I believe) has a balcony and a little fireplace which was delightful.

My son ordered room service but did not enjoy the meal so he did not eat it. I called the next morning and the charge was promptly taken off of our bill with no hassle.

The bathroom was beautiful with a separate tub and shower. The soaps smelled lovely and natural (I am not one for heavy perfumes).

The dining area in the lobby overlooks the bay and has an open kitchen which was a treat. The staff in the restaurant were just as lovely as everyone else that we encountered.

This hotel is adjacent to the acquarium. We were told it was a 5 minute walk but more like a 1 minute walk to the acquarium.

Again, this hotel received our top rating. Loved it. This was my first stay at an Intercontinental and I think I may have found my brand.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear meleetyme, We are delighted to hear the two of you enjoyed both your California trip and our hotel! Since you have found your brand, please don’t wait too long to return!