“Best Hotel in Monterey!”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 13 February 2009

My wife and I needed a weekend get-a-way, without kids, and the Clement Monterey was just what the doctor ordered!

From the moment we arrived the terrific staff made us feel right at home. Check in was fast and easy, and the hotel associate, Ric, even took time to walk us through the lobby to point out each amenity.

Our room was fantastic! The stylish, yet simple decor seemed to have a relaxing affect... On second thought, maybe it was the gentle crashing of waves just outside our balcony. In my younger days I would have had thoughts of diving off the balcony into the sea, but these days just sitting there with my wife, gazing at the ocean, and sipping wine was all I could ever want.

The bedding was about as comfortable as we've ever experienced - down comforter and all. In fact, it's so warm I suggest leaving the sliding door open all night (only about an inch, hey, it was February) so you can listen to the ocean.

Our dinner in the C Restaurant was terrific. Ocean view, of course, and great food to match! The clam chowder was the best we had ever tasted! Our Hostess and Server were very pleasant and made our dinning experience a pleasurable one.

Location, Location, Location. The Clement has, by far, the best location in Monterey! It’s next door to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and right in the middle of the prime shopping district – restaurants, art galleries, boutique clothing shops, wine tasting – something for everyone right out the front door (and the beautiful ocean right out the back door!).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (3,003)

Reviewed 12 February 2009

Paid for a room with a balcony & partial ocean view, got a catwalk overlooking bubba gump's shrimp with a slice of the bay on the left. The restaurant has a very nice view, but I don't recommend eating there-WAY overpriced & not the greatest food. Crab cake was fishy & quite small (don't recall the price). Cheeseburger & garlic fries were tasty, but for $16, I want the greatest burger EVER! :) Breakfast just as bad-$14 for a cheese omelette-they didn't bother to melt the cheese or let the roasted potatoes finish cooking. DH said his eggs benedict was good though, but he also had 1/2 cooked potatoes.
Anyway, we wouldn't have eaten there if it hadn't been raining.
Live & learn. The room itself was very nice, & the bathroom was fantastic. Service both in hotel & restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2009

We stayed at The Clement over New Years Eve Dec 08. We were there for five days and had a wonderful time. We attended the first New Years party at the hotel, which was great. The band was wonderful and the midnight chocolate buffet delicious. The staff there goes over above and beyond to make their guests feel welcome. The restaurant at the hotel is excellent along with the many other wonderful restaurants in the area. The Clement is well situated on Cannery Row right down the street from the Acquarium and many shops in the area. This was our second time at the hotel and as always been made to feel so welcome by the wonderful staff.

Rae Moreno, Nevada

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 10 February 2009

We recentely stayed at the Clements for a weekend. I wish I had listened to the negative reviews on TripAdvisor and had found a different hotel. I hope you don't make my mistake.

Here are the pros and cons for this hotel:

Pros:
1) Brand new hotel
2) Central location

Cons:
1) Noise- Our supposedly ocean-view room was right on the main street across from Bubba Gump. Even when we had our windows closed, we could hear all the noise on the street including the restaurant loudly announcing when a table was ready. We had a really hard time being able to go to sleep.

2) Pool /Spa- The whole pool/spa area was so chlostrophobic. As other reviewers mentioned the pool is really a joke. I'm surprised they are even allowed to call it a pool.

3) Balconies- Our room was supposed to have a balcony but what they call a balcony is a joke also depending on your room. Ours was a very narrow strip that you could hardly even stand in. I noticed that some other rooms have a balcony with 2 chairs and others have bigger balconies with chairs. I asked them to change our room to one with a real balcony but they said those are only with king bed and not 2 beds. I told them we are fine with a king bed, but they said they are all full. If I would've known this to begin with, I wouldn't have paid the extra money for a room with a balcony.

4) Ocean view concept- I was totally looking forward to opening the windows and listening to the ocean but our ocean view room was across the street from the restuarnt (Bubba Gump) so the view was pretty much blocked unless if you were able to get passed the immediate view. And instead of listening to the ocean all night we had to listen to all the noise on the street.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank mona100
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We were looking for a peaceful romantic weekend stay. We chose between The Sanctuary Beach Resort and the Intercontinental The Clement Monterey. The room was $209.00 a night but be advised they require an extra $200.00 credit card hold on top of the cost of your room that they do not mention until you are checking in. We were put in a room facing a night club that on Saturday night was horrendously loud and obnoxious with loud rock music going from around 9pm until after 12 midnight. There was a drunk guy yelling obscenities below outside our window and the loud sounds of all the people talking at the night club kept us up all night. My wife complained to the front desk and they gave us 2 options that at the time we thought was fair that we could either check into a new room which at the time I was tired and did not feel like picking all of our stuff up and moving at midnight. The other was they would give us a 10% discount for one of our nights stay which we thought was fair. The next day we were checking out and we mentioned the discount, to our dismay the guy at the front desk had know idea who the person was at the front desk who we talked to and after a few minutes gave us a $2.90 discount and not the mentioned 10% discount, we were in a hurry to get to our morning destination so I let it go, but my wife was still discouraged by it. When we got home my wife noticed that her set of our house keys was missing so she called the hotel. They informed her that it is their procedure to take the guests house keys off of the main car keys so they are not held liable. He told us that we should check the floor and console of our car and that is were they usually put them. I checked our entire vehicle up and down and came up with nothing. We called back and were told that they are going to inform the hotel manager and he mentioned that they had had problems with this in the past. Now we are looking at having to be inconvenienced by having to possibly pay for and change all of our house door locks. Just having to take the time or any more of our time being inconvenienced with the incompetence of the lack of focus on details with our stay has been very discouraging. All was not bad the staff here was very friendly and very helpful as has been mentioned by the other reviews and I am sure that this was most likely and isolated situation, but nonetheless we feel when you pay $250.00 a night for a quite weekend and all this goes on I would not go back to this hotel and I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or coworkers!

Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 5 February 2009

I was made to feel warmly welcome from arrival to departure. Got in late but the front desk was expecting me and anticipated my name as I walked in. The room was immaculate and calming. There was a distinct Japanese feel to the room which reminded me of hotels I have stayed in in that country. A "meditation sand box" you can rake your thoughts to, chocolates on the nightstand and a stuffed "sea otter" were very nice touches. The choice of TV channels, which varies a lot based on my hotel experience, were well balanced and of a manageable number. I really enjoyed the "live" person wake up call in the morning. One morning I was already in the shower and they called back a few times to be sure I was up. The best part was the caring tone of the person asking if I was ok, or needed anything else. The restaurant service was excellent. The hostess was very attentive with a helpful attitude and offered to call the person I was looking for without hesitation. Servers know the dishes and made recommendations with confidence. The same for the bartender who put together a personal favorite ensemble one late night. Saved a few dollars and it hit the spot. The overall ambiance of the hotel is one of quiet tranquility marked by views and sounds that relaxed me in a way that's very hard to put into words. Fantastic stay!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2009

From the moment I arrived until I left, the service at The Clement Intercontinental Monterey, was exceptional. Everyone knew my name and I was given an upgrade to the best room in the hotel overlooking the ocean with a fireplace. Upon arrival in my room, I had a complimentary bottle of Voss water, a plate of fruit and a bar of chocolate. I also received a coupon for a complimentary breakfast for two as well as a free movie. After an excellent dinner in the C Restaurant, I sat on the patio outside with my feet propped up on the fire ring drinking a glass of local red wine listening to the ocean. At breakfast the next day I got the Eggs Clement which is two poached eggs on top of Dungeness crab cakes, plus coffee and a plate of berries and cream, complimentary of the hotel. The atmosphere and location of the hotel is the best in Monterey. Lots of restaurants and shops are right outside the door of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo